Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an annoying vibration as the engine goes through 1000 revs

I've done about 11500 miles and I sure it's getting worse. As I reverse up hill into my drive I hit a steep part where I use slightly more throttle and the noise / vibration occurs. With the undertray on you hear a strange noise and feel a vibration on the accelerator pedal and the steering wheel. With all the undertray removed (as it is now) there is no noise but you feel the vibration. I can see a mark on the undertray where it is touching the ERG pipe mount and probably making the noise. If I drive off down the road in the normal manner I don't hear or feel anything. If I sit on the steep part of the drive and gently go on and off the throttle I can hear and feel it at 1000 revs especially as the engine slows down

I know it's a diesel, but the rest of the time it's very smooth and the car is very quiet

I have involved the Main Dealer (3 times) who is trying to help, but I could not get it to make the noise / vibration on his flat workshop floor, they are coming out to me Wednesday for a on site test and I am testing with the undertray off over the weekend

Does anyone else get any vibration at 1000 revs ?

Thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
If the undertray is catching on something with pressure on the engine, it sounds to me, like an engine mounting or possibly a misaligned pipe or whatever the undertray is vibrating against

·
Registered
71 Posts
No vibration on mine Colin. Hope dealer sorts it out for you, impressed they’re doing a home visit.

·
Registered
112 Posts
No vibration on mine Colin. Hope dealer sorts it out for you, impressed they're doing a home visit.
Back in my dealership service manager days if someone presented with a rattle or a knock that only presented in a certain place (passing Murphy's house) or situation (going uphill in the multi story car park) then one has to visit the location to replicate the conditions in the hope of guidance ????

·
Registered
252 Posts
Not noticed anything similar but I've not reversed up many steep slopes ..

·
Super Moderator
15,628 Posts
Not heard of this previously. Good to hear that the dealer is coming out to check it.

Sometimes you can get tuned into noises and become paranoid - please update when you can

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not heard of this previously. Good to hear that the dealer is coming out to check it.

Sometimes you can get tuned into noises and become paranoid - please update when you can
Good morning Andrew, Henry, fka and Cass thanks for your replies
I've been playing again this morning and I agree with you Cass that you get tuned into noises. My original problem was I could hear and feel something that I don't think was right. I now have the car up on some large ramps at the rear, the ramps have large stops so I can safely push against them in reverse gear. Now with the undertray off the noise has gone, so the engine vibration does make the undertray hit the mounting. So I guess the real question is - is the vibration within or outside expected levels ? an interesting question for Wednesdays visit and maybe stop the undertray causing the noise, whilst bearing in mind it does not do it on the flat

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Hi Cass, update as requested
The Service Manager and a Technician visited me today as promised
I reversed up my ramp and could reproduce a vibration around 1000 revs, the Tech could feel it but did not consider the level of vibration was in any way excessive. They arrived in a new Touareg R Line, so I suggested lets try that one on my ramp , which they readily agreed to.
Again there was a similar vibration, so I am happy that I don't have a problem (famous last words)
The Tech thought it could be the Torque Converter under load and simply working hard
They are going to order a new undertray to sort out the noise problem
Overall I have to say I am happy with the outcome and impressed with their customer service
Beadles of Colchester, Colin and Ollie are the answers to the obvious and I am in no way connected to them

·
Registered
71 Posts
Good news Colin, and peace of mind that their vehicle made same noise. Can enjoy your car again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts