Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Noticed in the press that there are some pictures popping up of the refresh Porsche Cayenne which is likely due after factory summer break in August. I think the Touareg is typically in sync with the Cayenne. Had anyone any insight?

I'm considering a change but wondering when the best time would be. Keep struggling with options from other manufacturers but the Treg suits my requirements. With all the semi conductor shortages it's probably a pipe dream to think about a change.

Amazed at nearly new prices, they seem higher than new broker prices.

First world problems...

·
Super Moderator
15,628 Posts
I haven't read anything either but VW has typically updated the specification of the Touareg models after 4 years, so probably MY2022 looks likely if they continue with the same regime. Given the loss of builds, factory shutdown, shortage of key parts, etc due to Covid, there might be some slippage but most likely that companies will be looking to kickstart sales again, once manufacture and supply gets back to 'normal'.

With a shortage of new vehicles, the price of used has gone up as consumers look to spend money after months of being unable or unwilling to do so and many are reported to be looking at changing their cars instead of using their savings on foreign holidays. It's reported that prices will settle down in a few months but dealers will be looking to maximise their profits wherever they can. In the meantime. I'd still think that there will be deals to be had, but dealers might have the upper hand at the moment with limited supply on some models. I'd expect most of the sales will be on PCP deals.

·
Chairman
19,925 Posts
Talking very recently to the managing director of a large group of high end luxury car garages, despite lockdowns they had a record year last year and will do even better this year.

·
Registered
252 Posts
There was a mild refresh end of 2020>21. Change of steering wheel mostly but a few changes to the Park Assist function and a few other minor things that slip my mind..

·
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for feedback folks. Got caught up in work stuff and didn't get to view responses until now. I agree with Cass that dealers seem to have upper hand and that money obviously burns holes in many pockets and most be spent... My 16 year old is a particularly strong proponent of this behaviour.

Saying that, I'm surprised that the car revival had been so strong, surely can't continue forever. Noticed a bit of chatter in trade papers that Manufactures are considering moves to agency type approach, where dealers "facilitate" an agreement, probably along lines of PCP, and get a fee for their trouble. I suppose manufacturer takes risk on stock control and move consumers to a consumption service.... Whole world seems to be trying to move to this model.

I'm not a big fan of consumption considering I'm approaching the age when I want to minimise regular monthly payments. I only ever bought what I could afford to pay off rather than live off credit, other than mortgage of course. Maybe I'm too old fashioned, but I'd rather run a car for a few years and spread the depreciation etc. I'm sure a wise account will tell me it's wrong approach but works for my simple mind and maths.

I'm taking the discussion off topic probably but welcome inputs.

Xila

·
Super Moderator
15,628 Posts
I'm definitely old school as well as I've always bought cars with my own money or loans and have never had a PCP.

I have always been happier saving a few quid and then putting down a deposit, buying on a loan and trading in and up to my next car. I always liked the feeling of having the full residual value as my own and then being able to decide what I wanted next against an affordable (yeah right) monthly sum.

Thankfully I have had an understanding wife but the (then) new factory order R-Line I bought in 2013 is still my main car and I'm not looking to ever change that. It's due it's MOT and annual service tomorrow (coming up 66k miles now). It was £50k list and I paid just under £43k for it via the broker Carfile. There's now way I would spend anywhere near that now and the only new cars that have been bought since then belong to my wife. Her last 2 cars have been Toyota Aygo's bought on a PCP with a balloon payment. In both cases we had a significant deposit to trade/put down and that reduced the monthly repayments. Most likely we will pay off the final balloon early again and as they have a 5 year warranty, it's pretty safe to assume there will be no additional running costs, save for the monthly service plan and the consumables - tyres, brakes, clutch but nothing recent or expected in the near future due to Covid and low use.

VW, like most manufacturers, have been pushing PCP's for many years now and I do get the idea that's it's better to use this to run a new car without 'investing' a huge chunk of your own money and taking the hit with depreciation. With the coming of EV's and the very significant battery and overall purchase costs, PCP is being strongly advertised to make these cars affordable, when to my mind the prices are extortionate.

Leasing schemes keep manufacturers and dealers in business and prevent customers going to independent garages for servicing/repairs as most deals include routine servicing and the lease periods are short (2-3 years on average
). This ensures that come the end of the lease, the car is returned to the dealer for an agreed value and a new lease is then taken out.

I wrote this post a few years ago when I was looking at buying a new T3 and my logic would be the same if I was still working and earning a regular wage:

https://www.mytreg.com/index.php?/topic/12373-leasing-v-outright-purchase/

·
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Cass, I think I agree with your thought process in the link you gave. My figures are below. Did you ever do the calculations for your wife's Aygo? How much had it cost to ruin via PCP over the term of your Treg?
I bought my T in 2015 for about £43k also including extras. The webuyanycar your valuation is about £17-18k now. So let's say that's £26k depreciation in 6 years or about £360 per month for a very well spec'd car. If I wanted to change car every 2/3 years then I'm sure it would be cheaper to PCP, but it's almost a PITA to change so regularly. When I was younger it was important but now I'm maybe just soo boring. My Treg has been generally very reliable, cheap to service and maintain. Would have preferred slightly better fuel economy but over 80k miles it has been a generally very good experience.

Thinking of changing now, to pay off car over next 3/4 years before retirement. Would then plan to do similar to you and keep car for 10 year term. Electrics will be mainstream by then and assume car market will be very different to today.

·
Super Moderator
15,628 Posts
No, I haven't worked out the figures for my wife's Aygos - might have a look sometime but as we are both retired now and her current one won't do many miles, this might even be her last one or maybe an EV if we are forced into it at some point in the future.

When I retired, I bought myself a new Golf GTI (Mk V) and I replaced that with a succession of Tregs - 2009 T2 Altitude, 2012 T3 Altitude, a couple of rejected T3 replacements
which were due to my T3 Altitude being a misbuild and then a manufacturing fault and a poorly prepared replacement vehicles, then my current 2013 R-Line which was always planned to be a keeper, so my spending days on new cars have come to an end - I think

·
Chairman
19,925 Posts
I haven't bought a new car since 1986!

And that was my last company car!

Since then I've bought 1 to 2 year old cars where someone else has taken the first big hit, the exception being the first T1 which I bought for a quarter of its new cost at 4 years old and suffered a massive 5 grand deprecation over nigh on ten years!

·
Super Moderator
15,628 Posts
I haven't bought a new car since 1986!

And that was my last company car!

Since then I've bought 1 to 2 year old cars where someone else has taken the first big hit, the exception being the first T1 which I bought for a quarter of its new cost at 4 years old and suffered a massive 5 grand deprecation over nigh on ten years!
A £10k discount in a new Touareg is easily achievable these days, not just from brokers but from dealers as well. That can equate to up to 20% of the retail price and more than enough to over the first years depreciation.

It does make sense to but a second hand car after 3 or 4 years as the biggest depreciation is within the first 3 years and you will be looking at a residual value of around 50% after 3 years.

Is it not time you had another Treg Nooby

·
Registered
71 Posts
Got a 10k discount on my new one last September and 0% finance on my PCP, was actually cheaper than buying second hand. Never thought I'd get into a new one, did look a year previous but pension pockets not deep enough.
Have run a PCP on Tiguans since 2014, after always buying my cars, but I like it. Keeps me in a new car with worry free motoring, and at the end of the day it's basicall paying the depreciation each month. This Touareg is a keeper if he stays reliable though, don't think I'd get same deal again, and it's simply the best car I've had.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts