Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
121 - 140 of 147 Posts

·
Chairman
20,138 Posts
Henry - it's not so much my knowledge as being able to remember and repeat other members' experiences!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Thanks NoobyT and BG - I'll check with my insurer tomorrow. I know I'm covered 3rd party to drive any car that's owned/insured by someone else. Maybe this is covered too.
Normal times, we'd spend two weeks in Corfu with a hire car every summer so I would benefit from paying for an excess waver/reduction policy too.

Paying £25 a day for an undisclosed amount of time, whilst they investigate faults doesn't fill me with joy and I'd potentially put it off until it's service in November.
If can find the time I might try and speak with the branch manger, see if I can build a relationship with them and get them to wave the cost but time isn't something a have a lot of right now ..

·
Super Moderator
15,867 Posts
Any VW dealer should be happy to do your warranty work but you but I would agree in building a relationship with the supplying dealer. The excess on the courtesy car seems very high and I’d be giving that a miss unless your own policy can cover it or you can get that waived or reduced - the garage however might not want you covering it on your own insurance, but there’s no harm asking.

·
Chairman
20,138 Posts
If you really do have 3rd party (and a great many insurers have dropped it which often catches people out badly for a 6 points hit and a fine) means what you hit is covered but the car you are driving is not, so it's pretty pointless cover anyway unles you are driving a 15 year old Fiat Punto!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yes it's fairly useless.
My current insurer is Chris Knott (hang over from my Saab as they are the SOC approved insurer) are really very good. Underwriter is LV

"The Policyholder may, under the terms of Section 1 of the Policy, Liability to Others, also drive a private motor car not belonging to him/her, not registered to him/her and not hired to him/her under a hire purchase or leasing agreement in respect of which no Insurance is afforded to him/her under any other Insurance applying to such a car. Cover is for third party only and in any case there will be no cover unless a current and valid policy of insurance is in force for the private motor car being driven under this section of the policy."

·
Lifelong Motorhead
2,959 Posts
Yes it's fairly useless.
My current insurer is Chris Knott (hang over from my Saab as they are the SOC approved insurer) are really very good. Underwriter is LV

"The Policyholder may, under the terms of Section 1 of the Policy, Liability to Others, also drive a private motor car not belonging to him/her, not registered to him/her and not hired to him/her under a hire purchase or leasing agreement in respect of which no Insurance is afforded to him/her under any other Insurance applying to such a car. Cover is for third party only and in any case there will be no cover unless a current and valid policy of insurance is in force for the private motor car being driven under this section of the policy."
That last paragraph is more restrictive than mine - but increasingly common - mine simply covers any other car third party.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I just gave Chris Knott a call to see if they offered an excess waver policy. They don't.
They're always very knowledgable and pointed out that the dealership, having their own insurer, would almost certainly not accept a 3rd party insurer covering the waver as it's a product their insurer provides.

·
Lifelong Motorhead
2,959 Posts
I just gave Chris Knott a call to see if they offered an excess waver policy. They don't.
They're always very knowledgable and pointed out that the dealership, having their own insurer, would almost certainly not accept a 3rd party insurer covering the waver as it's a product their insurer provides.
It's not the "driving other cars 3rd party" but "also covers cars provided as courtesy cars" that some policies get.

·
Registered
325 Posts
3rd party or fully comp?

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'll have a look around. I'm due for renewal at the start of September
Ta

·
Registered
325 Posts
Wasn't sure where to put this but here seems a good a place as any.
Interesting to see the torque curves of the 170kw and 210kw engines together. Although the 170 reaches it's peak torque of 500NM lower in the rev range than the 210 reaches it's peak, the 210 reaches 500NM at the same 1750rpm but goes on to reach it's max of 600NM at 2250rpm.
Same engine, same hardware, different maps I guess..

Product Slope Rectangle Font Parallel

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 white SEL
15 Posts
I didn't use any oil from new to 10,000 miles and first service (at least that's what the dash says)
I've not been so lucky. at 6000 miles I had to add roughly 600ml. My old T4 never used more that 400ml every 10,000 miles. I'll keep an eye on it between now and oil and filter change at 10,000 and see what the dealer says.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wasn't sure where to put this but here seems a good a place as any.
Interesting to see the torque curves of the 170kw and 210kw engines together. Although the 170 reaches it's peak torque of 500NM lower in the rev range than the 210 reaches it's peak, the 210 reaches 500NM at the same 1750rpm but goes on to reach it's max of 600NM at 2250rpm.
Same engine, same hardware, different maps I guess..

View attachment 35568
Thats a very interesting chart. The 170 looks good and relaxed, the 210 looks good for pushing on.

·
Lifelong Motorhead
2,959 Posts
I've not been so lucky. at 6000 miles I had to add roughly 600ml. My old T4 never used more that 400ml every 10,000 miles. I'll keep an eye on it between now and oil and filter change at 10,000 and see what the dealer says.
My T4 used 0.5 litre in the first 10,000 miles but nothing since - that's normal for a turbo-diesel.

·
Super Moderator
15,867 Posts
My T4 used 0.5 litre in the first 10,000 miles but nothing since - that's normal for a turbo-diesel.
Likewise - I ran in my then new 2013 T3 for the first 4500 miles - I used about 0.5 ltr in the first 3k miles and nothing at all thereafter - 65k+ miles now.

·
324 Posts
T5 - gearbox lag - thing?

My new T5 TSi. Not noticeable. Saw all the you-tube reviews, but can't say I find a problem with it. My DSG 2.0tdi Audi A4 was much worse. I wonder if it's a problem due more to do with the marriage to a torquey diesel. The A4 hesitated big time before lurching forward as the torque sharply kicked in. Turning right across traffic was always a bit of an issue when stationary. On the other hand the TSi seems already to have picked up the box before you release the brake and apply the accelerator.
Anybody driven TDi - TSi back to back?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Highly likely this is a TDI issue and linked to emissions control.
Saying that, I still don't have an issue with mine. Yes it could be snappier but it's not that bad.

121 - 140 of 147 Posts