Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
101 - 120 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Not certain you can call them crap unless you've driven one for a while. There is the odd moment when there's a lag, but once the car is up and running and driving progressively then it's fine.
Has also felt very sure footed in the snow and ice the last week or so, and I'm not running on winter tyres.
I've driven 3! All the same!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Then you have a justified opinion. People who have not owned one or have read about the 'lag' in my opinion can not comment.
I took mine out again today to fuel up, get some shopping, and a cheeky back road blast to clear the tubes. Was being mindful about the lag issue, and if I'm honest I really didn't have an issue. Occasionally, say 10% of the time, I'd boot it and there was a delay, but the engine is so lovely that the slight lag doesn't really matter, when the power kicks in it's wonderful.
I'm a progressive driver , and am still in love with this car. For a car that is 2 tonnes in weight, built like a brick, it handles so well and the engine/ gearbox is lovely, apart from the odd delay.
I do use quality fuel, and for around 60% of the time I fill with the premium grade, perhaps this makes a difference? Would I change it? Def not. I sit in an armchair, can overtake anything that gets in the way without a thought, and the electronic gismos are so clever. If that's all I have to worry about in life, then I'm a lucky man.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ours seems fine too - all diesels have some lag. I’ve had a T2 and T4 and this is on a different level performance, comfort and technology wise... it costs a lot more so you would rightly expect that, but imo it delivers. Crap it isn’t ...

·
Registered
325 Posts
Would it be fair to say roakley that the T5 clearly hasn't lived up to your expectations and you've ended up disillusioned to the point you've started looking for things that are wrong with it, sometimes where they don't exist. i.e. your comments about the stop start not working as it should, stopping after a motorway run.

Unless you're paying Bentley or Roller money, I think it's unrealistic to expect manufacturers to produce a perfect vehicle. I'm sure even Rolls stuff it up sometimes.
When I was shopping round I was originally looking at the T4. Two things that put me off (but not the sole reason I didn't buy one) were the wheel shake issue and the transmission issue. Which at the time I didn't realise there was a software fix for. Both fairly major problems

I can only repeat what I and others have said before. Yes there is a lag. Does it detract from the driving experience. IMO not at all.
Is the ZF 8HP in the T5 crap. Far from it. Coupled with the 286ps motor, it's refined and relaxed when you want it to be and for the size of car offers seriously impressive performance when you press on.
I think it was you (apologies if it wasn't) that warned me about reports of how bad the T5 was towing, staying in lower gears at cruising speeds. It really isn't. Suffles relatively seamlessly between 7th and 8th cruising at 60 and handles the back roads effortlessly.
It's not a perfect car but it ticks a hell of a lot of boxes.

·
Super Moderator
15,867 Posts
It's clear that some owners cannot live with the lag and clearly some can.

There's always going to be a difference of opinion over this and having rejected more than one Treg in the past, I wouldn't be averse to rejecting another if a manufacturing or performance related issue bothered me that much.

I still have a Treg though which is testament to my brand loyalty as I did seriously consider other marques but none came close to the overall package of the Treg. I'm unsure though whether I would buy another - mainly for financial reasons, as I am now retired and I'm still perceptive enough to monitor the criticisms of the car. Hopefully now that there are signs that lockdown might be relaxed in the next couple of months, prospective owners can get out and do a proper test drive to make sure the car meets their needs.

The latest Treg isn't perfect but I'm sure it's a very good car, but wherever there is an issue, it should be reported to the selling dealer and VW UK because that the only way the car will be made better. Yes, they are not Bentley or Roller money and they can be had with discounts of up to £10k from any broker and probably most dealers - they are the flagship model of the VW range and for that sort of money you should expect a faultless car or at least the level of service to fix the faults issues that invariably occur. It's often in the latter that VW let themselves down.

It will be nice to get out and about in our cars again soon and hopefully putting some miles on and enjoying the experience.

·
Registered
229 Posts
To put things into perspective I like the T5 but not some of the idiosyncrasies that I have experienced in the latest offerings and I am sure that VW will sort it! I miss the space and presence of the T5 and at the moment there is nothing to compare!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I feel for you as I had same decision when I had Tiguans. Had 2 really unlucky scenarios, resulting in 2 replaced cars. Looked at other makes, but always came back to VW. I find they are a quality car without the pretentious badges of certain other brands, and just suited what we needed. I dragged my wife tyre kicking more times than I care to remember, and we always ended up back at our dealer, who treated us very well. I like the look of JLR but am frightened by the reliability, have had landcruisers in the past when I was a shed dragger, brilliant cars, but not the performance or drivability of Touareg. The only car that 'fitted' me ( I'm 6'2" and have had a couple of spine ops, so seating is very important) was the Santa Fe, but felt it just didn't have the quality. One car I never tried was Lexus RX, liked the idea, but not really 4x4 capability and too pricey new.
Hope you find something that suits when this is all over, would be interested to hear what you decide on.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Is this gearbox lag, really a thing?

As a newbie and not wishing to make everyone repeat themselves, I have a slightly different view of this topic, which I will share until excommunicated from the Forum.

I have a large black Labrador called Benson who likes peace and quiet, when he's in the back of the motor he does not like to be woken by sudden changes of direction or speed, as we know the Touareg is quiet and comfortable so he approves of it. For this reason coming up to junctions where we need to move quickly are avoided where possible, however when I feel the need for some fun I play with the paddle shift, down 1 or 2 gears and we take off quite well, do others use this approach ? Could part of the problem be good old turbo lag ?

My previous motor was a Merc ML which I kept for 10 years and 100,000 miles and I absolutely loved it. It was starting to play up (wet rear SAM, Turbo hiccups etc) so I decided to change it and I liked the new GLE. I went to my main dealer on a Sunday about 10.00 am and the showroom was empty. I walked up to the salesman, who was at his desk on his laptop, he just about managed to look up and I asked if they had any GLE's in the showroom. He told me outside the door was a couple of them and he pointed to the door. I went out and saw a few of the old model second-hand GLE's, so I went back in and said I wanted new not second-hand. To my surprise he said oh - you want a new one ! Having had poor service from Merc before I just said Don't Bother and left.

So now I was looking for another Make and Model and the Q7 was considered but I did not like the shape of the front. Resorting to YouTube I watched several hours of reviews and comparisons and the Touareg looked good. Coming from an old ML I knew the drive would be totally different to the point I would have to adapt and expect it to be different. Looking on the internet I found carwow and a quick quote offered me a price of £42511.00. Next day (Monday) I went to the Dealer sat in a Touareg and ordered one that was waiting at the docks for allocation and I had it in about 10 days without a testdrive

So overall my expectations were and still are based on a £42K car and I think it is brilliant and Benson's happy, I really must ask the wife what she thinks !

·
Chairman
20,138 Posts
You've asked the dog so no need at all to ask 'er indoors!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Could part of the problem be good old turbo lag ?
Possibly with the 286ps engine since it doesn't reach max torque until around 2500rpm. But less likely with the 231ps as it reaches peak boost much lower in the rev range.
Both engines have variable vein turbos, so in theory lag should be less noticeable.
I've come from a very laggy turbo petrol car to this, so I'm well used to dealing with nothing, nothing, whoosh and can anticipate it and lift of the throttle before it happens. That is if I'm trying to keep Benson happy and not take off like a loon.
In sport the delayed pick up of the engine/lag is sometimes combined with the gearbox kicking down. If you're not concentrating, this can take you unawares!

I am quite heavy footed and I've noticed over the few thousand miles I've driven that standard D has adapted to my hefty style. To the point it now kicks down much more readily.
I'm planning to do the gearbox adaptation reset. I've started using sport mode or the flappy paddles when I want to drive like a div' and I'd like to preserve D for the occasions when I don't want Benson chewing my ear off..

·
Super Moderator
15,867 Posts
As I've mentioned before if you have owned earlier models of Touaregs, it seems that you will notice this issue much more than if this is your first one.

Resetting the gearbox will allow the car to learn the way you drive and perhaps make the driving experience become more suited for you, but it's worth monitoring the issue and report it to dealers so they can feed it back to VW. Little to no complaints means little to no chance of a 'fix'

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm not sure the gearbox learning that I've driven it aggressively in D and mimicking that is a fault per se.
I'm resetting because I've changed my driving style as I've got to know the car better and I'm making more use of the paddle shift and sport mode.
Not sure how roakley drove his and if the gearbox had adapted to his driving style? I think I've read he tried to reset the gearbox adaptation and it made no difference for him?.. one of his major issues was it kicking down "at the slightest touch of the accelerator".
Even after me driving it hard, I wouldn't say it's that sensitive. Admittedly sensitive enough to make me want to reset it but I know my driving style is why it's behaving like that.

The 'lag' is reported in nearly every press review of the car. It's also noted in nearly every review of the Q7 running with the same engine+drivetrain. It's not like they don't know about it!

By no means shying away from reporting faults or issues. Below is my current list. When it hits 10 items I'll get it booked in. Individually, none of them are major enough for me to go through the hassle of booking it in..

• Passenger side access aid (convenience entry) option missing. Have Memory Pack Plus. Access aid works on passenger seat but no option to individually enable/disable. According to manual there should be an option for both seats. Only have option for drivers seat and that turns function on and off for both seats.
• Driver and passenger wing mirrors squeak in hot weather when folding/unfolding
• Drivers seat adjustment squeaks in hot weather
• Occasional judder when pulling off after stop/start has shut the engine off and restarted it.
• Both front windows - Roll-back function frequently kicks in when there is no obstruction.
• Engine failed to start on one occasion, first thing in the morning. Had to turn ignition on and off several times before it started. Foot was on the brake, doors shut etc
• Reverse parking camera not worked on two or three occasions (camera window in infotainment blank). Had to reset infotainment (by holding down volume wheel) on each occasion to get it back.
• Foot doesn't open boot when car unlocked. I've disabled keyless entry. Does keyless entry need to be active for this to work? I don't want to reactivate keyless entry so would live without it if that's the case.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Did the "gearbox" reset this morning. Seems it's more a throttle response reset. Throttle response is less harsh/ more progressive. Sport mode is still loony tunes and too harsh for daily mooching around but has it's place.

·
Registered
81 Posts
That's interesting, but my car has only ever known my driving so not sure I'd gain anything?
Re your list, my wing mirrors made a terrible noise closing up when hot. Took it to dealer in first couple of weeks of ownership and they put some gunk on mechanism, worked a treat. Haven't had any warm weather yet to see if it's still quiet.
Have taken mine to dealer this morning. Checked oil level and was on low. They put 700ml in to top it up, thought that was quite a bit for new car with 6200 miles?

·
Chairman
20,138 Posts
VW (VAG in general) aren't interested in oil consumption until the engine uses more than 1 litre per 1,000 miles.

If I get hold of a car that uses a bit of oil I give it a dammed good thrashing for the next tankful of fuel. That's always sorted it out in the past.

Every owner should reset their gearbox from time to time especially if others drive the car, the routes normally driven change, the driving style changes, after towing, etc..

·
Registered
325 Posts
I've actually talked to and emailed my list to my local dealer today. The convenience entry thing is peeing me off. I want to use it on the drivers seat but don't wish to crush the baby's legs and he's behind the passenger.
They've no appointments until June and I'd need to pay £25 a day to reduce the excess on the courtesy car from £3000 to £250!
I remember this when the dealer I purchased off stuffed up my delivery and sent me a courtesy car. They told me as an aside that the excess was £3000. I kicked off and they paid the excess waver fee.
Since it's not the dealer I purchased off, I don't think I have much clout to expect them to wave the £25 fee! Anyone else come across this?

Mines not burned any oil in the last 2500+ miles. Level is still reading on the top bar.
There is a comment in the handbook about following the run-in procedure and it leading to reduced oil consumption if followed. Not sure how much validity there is in that?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Mine had 5k on the clock when I got it so no idea if the run-in procedure has been followed or not

Product Font Screenshot Number Electric blue

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks Nooby, your knowledge is amazing, dare I ask how you know everything there is to know about Touaregs? Joy to read your answers to problems on here.
I did ask a technician as I left the garage what he thought of the useage, basically said, from an engineering point of view it's not the best, but well within the VW guidelines and nothing to worry about.
As for the gearbox, only me driven it. I'll give it a try to see if there is any difference, although tbh I'm a happy man. It'll get a good tonking next week as have managed to get cottage in Wales for a week, so at last a proper road trip beckons.
My oil was good for at least 4000 miles fka, thought I'd have a look before trip, and glad I did. Thought I'd miss the dipstick, but quite civilised checking it from the drivers seat, obviously works!
I refuse to sign up for the crazy excess on courtesy cars, especially if I'm having to drive one whilst there is a fault with my new car under warranty. Thankfully been customer with same dealer for 7 yrs and they don't argue about it.

·
Lifelong Motorhead
2,959 Posts
I've actually talked to and emailed my list to my local dealer today. The convenience entry thing is peeing me off. I want to use it on the drivers seat but don't wish to crush the baby's legs and he's behind the passenger.
They've no appointments until June and I'd need to pay £25 a day to reduce the excess on the courtesy car from £3000 to £250!
I remember this when the dealer I purchased off stuffed up my delivery and sent me a courtesy car. They told me as an aside that the excess was £3000. I kicked off and they paid the excess waver fee.
Since it's not the dealer I purchased off, I don't think I have much clout to expect them to wave the £25 fee! Anyone else come across this?

Mines not burned any oil in the last 2500+ miles. Level is still reading on the top bar.
There is a comment in the handbook about following the run-in procedure and it leading to reduced oil consumption if followed. Not sure how much validity there is in that?
I've never paid any fees for a courtesy car for servicing or warranty work - in the case of the Touareg, it has been maintained by my local VW dealer with no relationship to the selling dealer - some insurance policies will cover courtesy cars so check with your insurer, although dealer staff may put you through hoops providing the evidence.

·
Chairman
20,138 Posts
I pay about 45-50 quid a year for a hire car excess policy that covers any car hired in Europe and courtesy cars loaned by a garage.

There are several companies on line and, at around a pound a week, normally having about 6 to 8 hires/loans, I think it's cheap insurance.

One can argue that over the past 5 years or so since I started doing this I've paid about £250, but I used to pay a premium on the car hire bill to get a lower excess until I became aware of the alternative.

Last year, of course, I only had three car loans and no car hires so each loan cost me 16 quid a day to dodge a £1,000 excess in the event of a shunt but normally, spread over holidays, it works out at less than the cost of un petit cafe noir per day.

101 - 120 of 147 Posts