Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
99 Posts
Hi,
My last 2 cars were a 2009 SE followed by a 2013 SE, the latter of which I part exchanged for a Kodiaq Sportline 190 diesel DSG in September last year. I've had an awful experience with the Kodiaq, with a poor non-linear throttle response playing a key part in this. I've sold the Kodiaq today, losing more money than I care to mention and put a deposit on a 286 R line registered in December 2019. "That'll sort it" I thought - imagine my horror on reading the '2020 Touareg' thread - is this a known error, is there a particular recall I can ensure is installed before I pick the car up? REALLY hope someone can help, as I don't want to spend more money, only to experience the same issue! Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
15,867 Posts
You really need to test drive any car you buy to see if it is the right car for you. It may be difficult in the current climate however as you say, you don't want to throw more money away than you have to

·
Registered
325 Posts
As above, you need to drive one.

I've come from a very rapid, tuned, manual car to this and although it's something I'm now used to and it really doesn't effect my driving experience, there is a delay between putting your foot down and the car responding - from a standstill and when already rolling. However (to greater and lesser degrees) is this not a function of most modern auto boxed vehicles?

Others think it's made no difference but I'm sure I noticed a difference between a T5 that hasn't had the ECU update and mine that has.
I've also noticed that the transmission ECU is still learning my driving style. I'm quite heavy footed and despite always driving round in the comfort setting, the gearbox has become noticeably more lively over the 1000 miles or so I've driven it..

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi,
My last 2 cars were a 2009 SE followed by a 2013 SE, the latter of which I part exchanged for a Kodiaq Sportline 190 diesel DSG in September last year. I've had an awful experience with the Kodiaq, with a poor non-linear throttle response playing a key part in this. I've sold the Kodiaq today, losing more money than I care to mention and put a deposit on a 286 R line registered in December 2019. "That'll sort it" I thought - imagine my horror on reading the '2020 Touareg' thread - is this a known error, is there a particular recall I can ensure is installed before I pick the car up? REALLY hope someone can help, as I don't want to spend more money, only to experience the same issue! Thanks,
The so called software fix, in my opinion, has made things worse not better making the ride uncomfortable. To increase speed one eases foot down, nothing happens, down a bit further still nothing, then whoosh - not pleasant! Waiting to see local manager!

·
Registered
325 Posts
The so called software fix, in my opinion, has made things worse not better making the ride uncomfortable. To increase speed one eases foot down, nothing happens, down a bit further still nothing, then whoosh - not pleasant! Waiting to see local manager!
Mines not like that at all. I can gently put my foot down and waft quite happily. Sharp application of throttle and it kicks down. The change I've noticed as the ECU is learning my driving style, is that the kickdown has become more sensitive to throttle application. i.e. I can sharply apply very little throttle and it will kick down.
My latency is mostly noticeable from a standstill but again, is nowhere near as bad as the first one I drove. I'm not going into a cold sweat at every roundabout and junction..

·
Chairman
20,138 Posts
Never buy any car without driving it.

You will be mad not to do so.

Reset the gearbox before you drive off.

Turn the ignition on but do not start the engine.

Press the accelerator pedal firmly to the floor for a full 10 seconds.

Release the pedal and then turn the ignition off.

·
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is precisely how the Kodiaq behaved - I ended up fitting a DTI 'pedal box' which definitely helped, but really don't want to have to do that again.

·
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Never buy any car without driving it.

You will be mad not to do so.

Reset the gearbox before you drive off.

Turn the ignition on but do not start the engine.

Press the accelerator pedal firmly to the floor for a full 10 seconds.

Release the pedal and then turn the ignition off.
Thanks for the advice - will have to learn about this resetting the gearbox - all sounds a bit weird to me.

·
Registered
325 Posts
This is precisely how the Kodiaq behaved - I ended up fitting a DTI 'pedal box' which definitely helped, but really don't want to have to do that again.
You really need to drive a Treg.
The Kodiak has a DSG box which is a completely different animal to the ZF box in the T5.

I've no idea if the "lag" is a function of the ECU or the TCU (GCU, trans ECU .. whatever..) but from what I can glean from the many reviews I read prior to buying mine and the test drives I did, the majority of SUVs currently available in the class the Treg fall into - nearly all of them suffer some form or delay between putting your foot to the floor and the car reacting - to greater and lesser extents.

·
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gearbox reset as described above has been a feature of Tregs since they first came out & it works IMHO
And the reset enables it to 'learn' the characteristics of the driver? If so, shouldn't be required if vehicle has covered very few miles?

·
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You really need to drive a Treg.
The Kodiak has a DSG box which is a completely different animal to the ZF box in the T5.

I've no idea if the "lag" is a function of the ECU or the TCU (GCU, trans ECU .. whatever..) but from what I can glean from the many reviews I read prior to buying mine and the test drives I did, the majority of SUVs currently available in the class the Treg fall into - nearly all of them suffer some form or delay between putting your foot to the floor and the car reacting - to greater and lesser extents.
Thanks - was this the same box as used in. My previous (2009 & 2013) Tregs? I was more than happy with both of those.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Thanks - was this the same box as used in. My previous (2009 & 2013) Tregs? I was more than happy with both of those.
No that's the Aisin box.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Ironically, the Aisin box is generally regarded as more leisurely than the ZF at least when the ZF is fitted in other brands - so maybe VW have tried too hard with the transmission mapping settings on the ZF.
Possibly. They're mechanically very similar, multiple sets of planetary gears. But I'm sure the channelling and valve sets will be very different in each trans.
Having not driven an earlier Treg, I can't compare. But my feeling is the hesitancy does not lay with the gearbox, rather some form of (emissions??) ECU control.
Personally I don't have any other issue other than the lag, and it's a minor issue. At all other times, it behaves extremely well. Smooth when I want it and drops down when I expect it or want it to. But it's certainly still adapting to my driving - I can see why a reset would help, especially if someone else had been driving it..

·
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dealer has just told me that due to being in Tier 4, a test drive isn’t possible. Only option is to purchase the vehicle and rely on distance selling regulations to claim a full refund, if not happy with the vehicle. I’d much rather have a decent test drive but seemingly that’s a problem. If only I knew how much of an issue this lag is likely to be for me - arrgghh!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Dealer has just told me that due to being in Tier 4, a test drive isn't possible. Only option is to purchase the vehicle and rely on distance selling regulations to claim a full refund, if not happy with the vehicle. I'd much rather have a decent test drive but seemingly that's a problem. If only I knew how much of an issue this lag is likely to be for me - arrgghh!
If you can't try then don't buy

·
Super Moderator
15,867 Posts
I wouldn't touch it without a test drive and we can expect maybe a full lockdown to come in again in the very near future

I'd put this purchase on the back burner until the travel restrictions settle and would never buy a problematic car and have to rely on distance selling regs to get my money back - that's a potential minefield and all the dealer wants here is to shift the car and hope you will be happy with it.

I'd just wait and see where we are in a few weeks/months - I'd also say that the chances of this car still being in the dealers are pretty high. Go with your head and not your heart

Reactions: kryspyx

·
Chairman
20,138 Posts
As above, can't try, don't buy - even if that means waiting 6 months.

You are about to spend tens of thousands of pounds and these cars have a known issue......

If your wife won't tell you that you are being daft even considering going ahead, then I will.

And with all that chrome the car is plain fugly as well as having a gearbox defect!

1 - 20 of 147 Posts