Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner

T5 - Drippage...

1K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  fka 
#1 ·
I'm noticing a fairly significant drip of something watery on the road every time I park up - it's like the trail of breadcrumbs in Hansel & Gretel! On inspection, it looks like it's coming from somewhere at the back, near the backbox on the exhaust, but not actually from the exhaust itself, as far as I can tell. Any ideas? Is it anything to worry about?

I don't seem to be losing any vital fluids like screenwash or coolant, so I'm hoping it's just some sort of condensation from the hot exhaust. There's no puddles in the garage or out on the road when it's been parked overnight.

#2 ·
You have a pano roof? The rear roof drains come out towards the back of the rear arches. Mine seems to run and drip to the floor under the back boxes

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Line Medical equipment

#3 ·
I do, but this has been happening when it's bone dry. Until today, I can't actually remember the last time it rained on the south coast. Actually, if it had, I wouldn't even be able to see the dripping!

#6 ·
Adblue tank on the T5 is behind the offside rear arch

#10 ·
Seems to be working normally, yes. I'm certainly not burning through washer fluid, which I'd expect if there was any kind of leak there.

#12 ·
I'll get them to look at it when it goes in for service. I was kind of hoping someone would just say "it's 'such and such'" so I wouldn't have to even worry about it!

#13 ·
I quite often see patches of water under the rear bumper by each exhaust.
It's either rain water, condensation, melted ice running down the roof drains or it's condensation from the exhausts. Get it checked out for sure but if it's not identifiable as; petrol, oil, washer, brake fluid it's not anything of concern and can only be moisture from the atmos ..

Reactions: Wookiee
#15 ·
If you have the 4 zone aircon it may be condensation water from the rear seats aircon unit. In my 2013 that unit sits above the rear wheel well

cheers
Rohan
Hadn't thought of that. I've got the aircon off at the moment, but I'm guessing it still comes on automatically when it feels the need?

#16 ·
There only seems to be the two front drains (front passenger and driver footwells) noted in the maintenance guide.
Even with 4 zone climate control (I have that option too) there's just a rear distribution unit, which doesn't have any drains. If it did, the unit is in the middle of the car and is unlikely to drain at the rear

#17 ·
With the 4 zone system in the 7P there is a second aircon evaporator / heater system in the the rear left side above and behind the wheel well. This feeds temperature controlled air to the centre rear seat control unit via underfloor air ducting for distribution to the various vents. If the rear AC is turned off fully I would expect nothing to drain but if left running on automatic then it would condense water out the drain. The drain hose location is just behind the rear left wheel well through the floor and is detailed on page 116 of the Erwin 7P manual HVAC section.

#18 ·
Might be a T5 cost cutting thing? The AC system overview only shows refrigerant lines running to an evaporator at the front distribution unit. That feeds a rear distribution unit that appears to just be a mixer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.