Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well today my factory ordered 2013 T3 R-Line went to my local dealer - Lookers VW Newcastle (formerly Benfield VW Newcastle) for it's annual service and 5th MOT.

At 66,090 miles I'm pleased to report it passed with no advisories and my VW Service Plan (Lookers as opposed to a VW one) picked up the tab and all I had to pay for was the half price MOT at £27.42.

I did get a comment on the Vehicle Health Check email that my rear offside tyre was showing 4mm on the outside edge, but 5mm across the centre and inside, compared to 5mm across the nearside rear tyre and 6mm across both fronts. Given that my OEM tyres (Goodyear Eagle F1 275/45 R20) lasted 5 years up to May 2018 and 48k miles before needing to be replaced, I'm not convinced I'll get the same mileage from the identical Goodyear replacements

I had my front discs and pads replaced at 58k miles (August 2019) and happily the rears are still good with no advisories on the discs or pad thickness. That's a result but also a testament to my sympathetic driving on brakes and tyres - result.

I've had the brake fluid changed at 3 years and every 2 years since - due again next year, as is the air con service. I've also had the Pano Roof service done a couple of years ago but I rarely have it open and haven't had any issues to date.

I renewed my VW Extended Warranty again this year which has been kept up since the manufacturers warranty expired at 3 years. I got a decent deal last year when Allianz offered a discounted price to a sub 60k mileage quote and due to Covid and restricted mileage again this year, I again got a similar deal on the mileage/level of cover on a goodwill basis. I don't expect that next year so I'll have to compare pricing to see what is viable.

I bought this car via a broker (Carfile) and I've always used the same local main dealer for servicing. I'm fortunate that their service department is very good and they have also dealt with the only significant warranty issue when the RNS850 control unit needed replacing in Sept 2018 - thankfully I had the warranty as it was a £5k job

My OEM diamond cut Tarragona 20" alloys have some creeping tin worm under the lacquer so they will need some attention soon. I have a very competitive quote from a local wheel refurbisher and I'll replace the TPM's at the same time - maybe the best time to do those jobs is when the tyres need replacing again

I have always used premium diesel and (touch wood) I've never had any EGR, DPF or running issues and long may that continue. Here's to the next 8 years as this car was always a keeper

·
Chairman
19,925 Posts
Good report.

·
728 Posts
Congrats Cass
A very well cared for car. Many will be "concerned" by the tyre and brake wear, since either unable to beat your figures or believe you are driving like Miss Daisy and not availing of the car's capabilities. It's a super cruiser and shows that a Treg treated with respect will deliver very low running costs.

I think I got about 45k from brakes, but tyres harder to tell. I change to winter set and after 80k I used about 3/4 of the winter set and about 1 & 1/3 set of summers, so about 35k for a set of tyres, very unscientific calculation.

Keep enjoying your T... Your figures are far better than I can achieve.

Xila

·
Registered
71 Posts
That's a good read cass and.very similar to the way I run my cars, always use my main dealer, on a service plan, find its very cost effective. Haven't had to extend a warranty yet, but can see it happening with this car as think he's a keeper. I also run-on esso super premium + or what ever they call it, but really think it's worth the few more quid a tank. From new I was getting around 38 mpg on standard esso, for the last few months I've been using the 'special' juice, and I'm getting 42-44 mpg.
I have the same tyres , but on 19" wheels, and am impressed with your mileage, just hoping I get anywhere near your wear/ life. I do find they are quiet, and grip very good on all conditions.
Must admit i can't fault the car, and still get a buzz from driving it even after 9 months, normally the new car feeling has gone, notwith this one. Still feel lucky to own such a lovely car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts