Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

First of all, please excuse my lack of knowledge but I want to replace the fuel filters on my T1 2.5 TDI Touareg. I was under the impression that the fuel filter is underneath the back seats but I've also found "fuel filters" for sale which are a big metal canister - I've since found that there is one of these in the engine bay (see attached photo). Are there two fuel filters or are they completely different things?

Thank you

·
Registered
393 Posts
I was under the impression that the fuel filter is underneath the back seats
That's on the petrol engines and probably on the 3.0 TDI engines.

but I've also found "fuel filters" for sale which are a big metal canister
That's what you need for an R5. The filter is enclosed in a non-removable the metal casing and needs to be replaced with the latter.

I've since found that there is one of these in the engine bay (see attached photo). Are there two fuel filters or are they completely different things?
No, there's always just one fuel filter (maybe except the V10, but I'm not sure about that one either), but depending on the model and the engine, it might be at a different location and might have a different design. The fuel filter on the R5 is located in the engine compartment on the left side (right when facing the engine from the front with the hood open), and is encapsulated in a non-removable metal canister, so the replacement filter has to be a canister, too.

The part number is 7H0127401B, and I suggest you get a KNECHT-MAHLE KL 229/4 or MANN WK857/1, which are of good quality, yet not expensive.

Of course, as always, double check your Touareg model and part number (try to read the one from the existing filter, if possible), and verify the compatibility with your engine, before ordering.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That's on the petrol engines and probably on the 3.0 TDI engines.

That's what you need for an R5. The filter is enclosed in a non-removable the metal casing and needs to be replaced with the latter.

No, there's always just one fuel filter (maybe except the V10, but I'm not sure about that one either), but depending on the model and the engine, it might be at a different location and might have a different design. The fuel filter on the R5 is located in the engine compartment on the left side (right when facing the engine from the front with the hood open), and is encapsulated in a non-removable metal canister, so the replacement filter has to be a canister, too.

The part number is 7H0127401B, and I suggest you get a KNECHT-MAHLE KL 229/4 or MANN WK857/1, which are of good quality, yet not expensive.

Of course, as always, double check your Touareg model and part number (try to read the one from the existing filter, if possible), and verify the compatibility with your engine, before ordering.
Thanks for your detailed reply and the suggestion. Very much appreciated. I'm going to check the car after work as we have the metal canister in the engine bay and we seem to have the fuel filter beneath the back seats as well. We apparently had it replaced a few services back and I have seen that the carpet was cut to get access. I'll come back with more details when I've checked.

·
Registered
393 Posts
What you have under the back seats is not the fuel filter, but the fuel pump assembly - or as the VW parts database calls it: the fuel delivery module. It might have some filter mesh in it, but that's just for the most coarse particles/contamination (to protect the pump), and is not supposed to be replaced independently, only with the full assembly. The actual fuel filter - that is designed and supposed to be replaced at regular intervals - is in the engine bay, and that's what's protecting the injectors, by filtering out anything that's smaller than what can pass through the atomizer heads.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What you have under the back seats is not the fuel filter, but the fuel pump assembly - or as the VW parts database calls it: the fuel delivery module. It might have some filter mesh in it, but that's just for the most coarse particles/contamination (to protect the pump), and is not supposed to be replaced independently, only with the full assembly. The actual fuel filter - that is designed and supposed to be replaced at regular intervals - is in the engine bay, and that's what's protecting the injectors, by filtering out anything that's smaller than what can pass through the atomizer heads.
Excellent information. Thank you again. My service schedule book shows that the fuel filter for my T1 should be replaced every 80k miles but the records show that it was changed at 75k, 94k and 124k… supposedly. I'm wondering if this is referring to the fuel filter and/or the fuel pump assembly. Somebody has accessed the fuel pump assembly at some point as the carpets have been cut out. Strange.

·
Registered
393 Posts
As already explained, it's the fuel filter (in the engine compartment) that's considered a "wear item", as is to be replaced regularly, every X miles. The fuel pump needs replacement only if it stops working properly - including in the rare case of it getting clogged up by some heavy fuel contamination.

The 80k regimen is the maximum replacement period under ideal conditions. However, if the fuel is of low or questionable quality, it might make sense - or even be necessary - to replace the filter more often, especially, because it's not really an expensive item (costs around $50), and because replacement doesn't require any special tools or equipment.

On the other side, the fuel pump assembly is a rather expensive part (costs around $350-400), and as you already know, replacement of it might actually require damaging some parts of the vehicle (at least if you don't want to make a two day job out of it). If it would be a wear item that is supposed to be replaced regularly, obviously it would be placed / built in differently.

·
Chairman
19,922 Posts
). If it would be a wear item that is supposed to be replaced regularly, obviously it would be placed / built in differently.
Now that's an assumption too far with VW [and quite a few other manufacturers], especially the word "obviously"!!

You only have to look at replacing headlight bulbs where, in the T1 manual for example, it simply tells you to go to your dealer despite providing a tool [which is prone to breaking the rachet it turns] in the toolkit!! And the T2 headlight bulb task doesn't get much better either.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now that's an assumption too far with VW [and quite a few other manufacturers], especially the word "obviously"!!

You only have to look at replacing headlight bulbs where, in the T1 manual for example, it simply tells you to go to your dealer despite providing a tool [which is prone to breaking the rachet it turns] in the toolkit!! And the T2 headlight bulb task doesn't get much better either.
I have the broken ratchet to support this!

I've got a replacement fuel filter now (for the engine bay) and I'm considering installing it myself. I've found all the details on how to do it but I'm wondering if it's a requirement that VAGCOM is connected up afterwards to cycle it?

·
Super Moderator
15,625 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts