Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to do a routine tyre pressure inspection today and found them all perfect. What about the spare, I thought? So, I popped open the boot to see the nice new space saver wheel sitting snugly in the bay. I took it out and thought: hang on, if I need to use this, then unless I carry an air compressor with me, I've got no chance. So, I duly inflated it to the 51psi shown on the tyre wall. That took ages, but then I realised it wouldn't fit back in the wheel well. So, what's the point of having an uniflated spare? If you're going to have to carry a compressor, then you may as well ditch the space saver and use a foam repair kit instead. It would certainly save some weight and boot space.

Or am I missing something obvious?

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Hi Dom,

Your V10 has an in-built air compressor to operate the air suspension, this is also used to inflate the spare tyre when needed.

In the panel below the front of the driver's seat you should have a small nozzle covered by a rubber cap - this is where you screw in your tyre inflation hose kit.

The tyre inflation hose kit is normally stored under the rear passenger seat.

Cheers,
John.

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys. i decided to just buy a small compressor which i can keep in the boot. problem is,that with a child's seat in the back, it would be a pain to remove it and faff around with the inbuilt system in the event of a puncture. good to know that's where it is though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts