Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As above, the wife picked the daughter up from school, came home saying the treg was vibrating????? I winked and laughed;-).

But when i took it out to investigate? sure enough when stood still in gear or neutral you could feel a strange vibration. Felt like the auto box but 1/2 mile up the road it stopped.

Now the wife has been home all day and used the treg a couple of times throughout and said it did the same thing every time??

Any idea's???? Or could it be the DPF regening??

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
That'll be the VW Rabbit then!

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
Propshaft bearing?

·
Elite Deserter
2,182 Posts
Hey Packa
All those extra torques and donkeys under the bonnet are shaking the car to bits, carefull this could be next !

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
If it's the propshaft bearing then surely the vibration ought to get worse as the speed increase, not disappear.

Mine failed instantly and badly so there was no interim "I wonder what that funny noise is?"!

·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nimrod said:
You've got the Ann Summers Limited Edition.
noobytoogy said:
That'll be the VW Rabbit then!
LMFAO.

Dont know, im thinking it could be the DPF re generating??? also notice exhaust coming from the front ( front of passenger door ) is this the Aux heater i hear peeps talk about??

If so what is it and what does it do??

Personally i dont think its a bearing, im from an Engineering back ground ( im a printing Engineer ) so can hear a bearing going from a thousand paces??

Hmmmm, trip to the stealers if it happens again in the next couple of days.

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
Don't forget to take that tuning box off when you go...............

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
I had something similar on my Nissan for doing my 1/4 mile runs at Santa Pod...

Mind you, I did rip the prop-shaft off the transfer case 2 thirds of the way down the strip!

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
noobytoogy said:
If it's the propshaft bearing then surely the vibration ought to get worse as the speed increase, not disappear.
Not necessarily... Centrifugal force can pull everything back into line as the speed of the propshaft rotation increases. Think of a washing machine. As the cycle starts, the rotation of the drum is uneven until it gets up to speed and smooths the rotation. Not that I've ever seen the washing machine in action - I leave that crap to the missus

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
The heater warms everything up more quickly than the engine could on its own.

·
Elite Member
1,921 Posts
600rpm seems a bit low Mine sits at 750 when warm. That could be the problem. Has the "box" affected the tickover speed or cold start settings?

I doubt it is the Aux heater which just helps get the engine and coolant temp up to warm the cabin.

·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
dailysmoker said:
600rpm seems a bit low Mine sits at 750 when warm. That could be the problem. Has the "box" affected the tickover speed or cold start settings?

I doubt it is the Aux heater which just helps get the engine and coolant temp up to warm the cabin.
Nope, the box doe's not come into play till over 2k revs.

600rpm is too low, thats why i noticed it. normal tick over is around 750/800 depends which bins i have on? LOL

Been ok since?

·
108 Posts
sorry to ask but what engine do you have as mine ticks over at 600rpm ok.

·
Elite Member
1,921 Posts
Packa has the 3.0 TDi

As you have 4 extra cylinders I would expect the tickover to be lower as the V10 has to fit 10 compressions into the same full revolution that we mere mortals in V6s have only 6 compressions to worry about.

If Im wrong Im sure a more informed V10 owner will shout up.

Packa, has the tickover picked up or just the vibration stopped?

·
Honoured Member
2,175 Posts
mjstubley said:
Propshaft bearing?
How could it be anything to do with the propshaft if it's noticeable when stood still and out of gear?

Propshaft not turning-not even connected to engine.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts