Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Member
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Touareg has developed a strange smell when you start it up...Smells like rotten eggs inside the cabin ! Could this be the cat convertor or have I run over something and its rotting away underneath somewhere ?
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
3,680 Posts
I though all Tregs smelt like that.


what about the air con ????
 

·
Member
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scottie said:
I though all Tregs smelt like that.


what about the air con ????
I?ve not a clue what it is but it really really stinks... Hopefully someone will have an idea before I start explaining to a "Spanish Dealer " all about rotten eggs etc. I?ll run it without the air con and just sweat to death in the heat and see if the smells about with the air con off...

I just remember my mum having a ford fiesta a while back and the smell outside from the exhaust was disgusting hence I reckoned it was that..

Good result for wee murray the other night , all the spaniards overhere were going mad watching it on the tv , obviously they?re not lovers of swiss unless its chocolate.............
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
218 Posts
daviebhoy said:
Touareg has developed a strange smell when you start it up...Smells like rotten eggs inside the cabin ! Could this be the cat convertor or have I run over something and its rotting away underneath somewhere ?
Its bacteria build up in the system, mine had the same problem about 2 months ago.... VW have a detergent that they attach to the system and flush through... get onto your dealer..... another thing to do is run the air con on cold with all the windows open for about 20 -25 mins whilst stationary.... that might clear it..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
daviebhoy said:
Touareg has developed a strange smell when you start it up...Smells like rotten eggs inside the cabin ! Could this be the cat convertor or have I run over something and its rotting away underneath somewhere ?
What Chunks said - try having the air-con cleaned - the rotten egg smell is Hydrogen Sulphide which in this case is being produced by bacteria - probably worse in the Spanish heat - little beggars (bacteria) will be at it like rabbits


BTW: The rotten egg smell from Catalytic converters is also Hyrdogen Sulphide - caused in that case when un-burned fuel is catalysed in the converter. The gas/smell also occurs when charging lead-acid batteries (sulphuric acid)...
right, that's chemistry 101 done for the day
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,917 Posts
.................that sort of thing usually gets blamed on the kids in our house...............
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
154 Posts
You can buy a can of spray which you set off with the air con running - a bit like the sprays they use on long haul flights. This worked well on mine and was very cheap. I bought it from Halfrauds
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
chrisbin said:
.................that sort of thing usually gets blamed on the kids in our house...............
like it!

Quote - Simmy: You can buy a can of spray which you set off with the air con running - a bit like the sprays they use on long haul flights. This worked well on mine and was very cheap. I bought it from Halfrauds

Good suggestion - worth a shot for those owners who are out of warranty.

Daviebhoy is there a local Spanish equivalent to Halfords....like 'Al Fraudos'


 

·
Junior Member
Joined
·
3 Posts
Had the same problem with mine last year, Wayside MK told me that they just needed to clean out the windscreen washer bottle, wasn't to convinced when they told me, but it seems to have done the job. :clap:
 

·
Member
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well done chunks , left it running with air con on and windows open for about 30mins and the rotten egg smell has disappeared...
If it comes back I?ll fire it into the dealers now that I know what?s causing it....More importantly just been offered a new contract overhere until mid 2008 which I?m afraid means the beast will probably have to go..Streets are too narrow and its a pain with it being rhd..
Happy about new job but will have to buy a lhd drive..
Thanks for your help...

chunks said:
Its bacteria build up in the system, mine had the same problem about 2 months ago.... VW have a detergent that they attach to the system and flush through... get onto your dealer..... another thing to do is run the air con on cold with all the windows open for about 20 -25 mins whilst stationary.... that might clear it..
Mark II said:
like it!

Quote - Simmy: You can buy a can of spray which you set off with the air con running - a bit like the sprays they use on long haul flights. This worked well on mine and was very cheap. I bought it from Halfrauds

Good suggestion - worth a shot for those owners who are out of warranty.

Daviebhoy is there a local Spanish equivalent to Halfords....like 'Al Fraudos'


Mark ,

Left it running with air con and windows open for about 30 mins and the stink has disappeared thankfully..
They have big supermarkets here called Carrefour ( think they?re actually french ) and they sell everything including tyres etc so I?l have a look next time I?m in or I?ll get some next time I?m home...
Cheers for the advice...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
Well done on the new contract - congrats :clap:

Sorry to hear the Treg's got to go


Have you enjoyed it enough to buy another when you return - maybe go for a 2007 model??
 

·
Member
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Def get another one work , mines has had its problems but , I think most people have suffered some varying degree of problems..
Hopefully by the time I come back and am in the market to buy again all will have been resolved from earlier models...
Great vehicle and the power from a 2 ton diesel absolutely awesome

Mark II said:
Well done on the new contract - congrats :clap:

Sorry to hear the Treg's got to go


Have you enjoyed it enough to buy another when you return - maybe go for a 2007 model??
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
1,553 Posts
remove you kit bag that will clear up the smell :~)
 

·
Junior Member
Joined
·
20 Posts
I today have noticed this sulpher type smell , however I appears to be when I accelerate hard ie to drop it down a gear when going up hill. The smell dissappears after a few seconds. My windows are all closed at the time so I presume the smell comes from under the bonnet and through the air intakes . It definatly isnt the air con Ive had that smell before in other cars it does smell like the catalytic convertor :help: :help:
 
G

·
Just wanted to resurrect this thread with a top tip for "eggy" smells coming thru the vents when braking and setting off. I was certain it wasn't the AC after checking the pollen filter and seeing how fresh this smelt


So pop goes the bonnet to check for any leaves, etc. being stuck under the windscreen panel but all looks clean as a whistle. Just as I was pulling my head back from the drivers side I nearly barfed as the smell hit me straight on! Off with the washer bottle cap and OMG :shock:

So I top this up with a very strong concentration of screenwash and flush the 6 litres thru the washer jets followed by a couple of litres of just water. Then comes the top tip........

Take 2 Milton Tablets and dissolve them in a further six litres of water and top the washer bottle back up. Leave standing in the car for 30 minutes or so (longer if you want) and then once again flush thru the washer jets.

BINGO


Fresh smelling AC all the day long and no wiff now when I flip the washer bottle lid
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
437 Posts
I have had the same now with the warmer weather, mine is the windscreen washer reservior, I reckon its the large capacity getting warm/cold+reduced use mixed with heat from the engine once parked up, smells like eggs when I give it a blast, also when I ran the air con and then switched to "low" with no aircon , it smelled like pond water...

Just needs a good blast and some fresh additive in the screen wash!
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top