Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, well after almost a year of problem free ownership of my 2.5tdi Treg last night something very strange happened.
While driving I noticed that the indicators stopped to work & also the emergency lights didn't work. All head/tail lights were working fine, then looked at the battery indicator & was showing 0 volts
so switched off everything that wasdrawing power from the battery to save it as much as I could until I could get home. I checked the vehicle status on the MFI & said everything was OK, very strange to me.
Got home swtiched off ignition then swtiched on again to see if I had a faulty indicator, but move from 0 up to 14 & then back down to 0 again, tried to start it & started with no problem at all

I haven't been out this morning to check if it will start but just picking your brains a little, is it the battery or something else more serious?

Thanks
Nick

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
Hi Nick - first stop has to be to the battery - can you actually check the battery voltage directly, rather than using the dash indication?

Kaine

·
Elite Member
1,283 Posts
Sounds like a minor version of my problem - viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7816#p65200

As Kaine says - check that the battery has > 12.5V when off and is actually charging and giving 14V when on.

Since it is only your indicators - maybe it's a faulty relay
:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Kaine, went out and started my Treg this morning. Inital battery indication was 13v & car started fine without any problems, after start battery volt meter shows a steady 14v. I can switch off & start every time with no problems, I would have thought that if it was a battery problem wouldn't I have, even a slight difference in cranking speed.
I'll go out with a volt meter & check the volts under the hood.

Thanks for the reply.
Nick

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, I went out with a volt meter & battery shows 12.2 - 12.4 Volts & with engine running is showing 14 Volts.
Indicators work fine & cranks over starting first time. Could this still be the battery?

Thanks
Nick

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just an update on this; so was have been using the car all day & no problems at all, just strange voltage meter readings. Car starts fine every time, on intial turn of the key volt meter shows 13-13.5 volts, a bit high; before incident was typically 12.5v & indicators work fine!
What surprises me is that the volt meter the in car volt meter reads 13-13.5v & at the terminals under the bonnet reading with voltmeter is as described above.
Should I just change the battery anyway? I've found a Bosch silver 100amp for 175 Euro, bit to much to pay in case it's not the battery.
Appreciate any help/ideas you guys might have.

Thanks
Nick

·
135 Posts
I'm not up on 'Auto electrics' but as an electrician I wonder if you may have a bad earth (-'tve) connection? Something that is perhaps common to the indicator stalk and the volt meter in the dash.

Worst thing in the world is trying to fault find an intermittent problem. Seems unlikely that your battery is dud if you have had several succesful starts. Rather than switching everything off, how about starting it and switching everything on!! Get a bit of load on the battery and maybe it will show up the fault again.

Better trying to root it out now than wait until it catches you out by surprise miles from home in the middle of the night.

Good luck.

Andy

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Andy you've done it now
I reckon you'll get lots of questions on non auto electrical problems

·
Registered
876 Posts
Hi from your descriptions on the battery condition there is nothing to suggest there is a battery issue.
If you could check round the edge of the sensors and get a cocktail stick run round the rubber edge and clean the exposed surface with something like a T-cut compound.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
pilgrim said:
Hi from your descriptions on the battery condition there is nothing to suggest there is a battery issue.
If you could check round the edge of the sensors and get a cocktail stick run round the rubber edge and clean the exposed surface with something like a T-cut compound.
Hi Pilgrim you lost me there, I don't know where the sensors are for the battery. Would it be worth me lifting the seat to see whats going on in the battery compartment?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
andy5mart said:
I'm not up on 'Auto electrics' but as an electrician I wonder if you may have a bad earth (-'tve) connection? Something that is perhaps common to the indicator stalk and the volt meter in the dash.

Worst thing in the world is trying to fault find an intermittent problem. Seems unlikely that your battery is dud if you have had several succesful starts. Rather than switching everything off, how about starting it and switching everything on!! Get a bit of load on the battery and maybe it will show up the fault again.

Better trying to root it out now than wait until it catches you out by surprise miles from home in the middle of the night.

Good luck.

Andy
Andy that was what I was thinking as the indicators stopped to work, but where do I start :shock: i can think of so many things that I would need to check.
Been trying to look on EKTA to see if the indicators are hooked up to the emergency light switch via a relay, but couldn't find anything
Thought maybe a relay got stuck & that caused the strange electrical problems.
I'm getting my battery checked over today & then go from there.
Thanks for the help guys.
Nick

·
1,307 Posts
is there a voltage regulator for the individual gauges on the instrument panel, if this is starting to go pete tong it won't help any.

bad earths are a pain in the rear but the ruin of many a good system....happy hunting

·
Chairman
19,971 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,678 Posts

Cass

·
886 Posts

1 - 17 of 17 Posts