Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Touareg is booked in at Stourbridge Volkswagen on Thursday for 2nd LL Service.

Went with them as they were very competitive at ?299, which includes LL2 Service, Brake Fluid, Fuel Filter, Pollen Filter plus free 3rd Year Service/MOT free, plus more importantly my wife arranged it all and the Service contact, John, was excellent - extremely polite and helpful - wifey even got a text this evening to remind her about taking the car in.

I tried to use VW Shrewsbury (who I've used before), however their pricing is soooo much higher its almost unbelievable. Wifey go the first quote from them at ~?400 and then I checked again and got the same works quoted at ?477.93 :shock:

Looking forward to giving Stourbridge Volkswagen a glowing report

Kaine

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Be good to know how you get on Kaine, Worcester VW service dept seem to be getting dumber over the phone at least :roll:

Have to say the parts man seems OK, hopefully he will live upto his promises when the boss takes the panzer in for some new wiper blades tomorow & gets em fitted by flashing her eye lids

Would sooner go somewhere that knows what they are doing

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Cracking price! Worth travelling for for anyone in a 60 mile radius I'd have thought.

·
Elite Member
1,283 Posts
That's a good price especially with filters and brake fluid.

Mine is due in for a LL service with no filter changes and the best I can get is ?255 - I'll reserve judgement until after the event.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Car is in - front pads need changing - initial quote of ?260.00. Called Shrewsbury VW who quoted ?227.04 and Stourbridge VW were fine to price match - so far so good

For reference, OEM pads/sensors cost were as follows as parts only

Pads (front): ?120.92 + VAT
Sensors (each): ?15.93 + VAT

Total: ?175.70 inc.VAT. Popped into the car workshop next door to the office and they would fit them for ?50 - hence worked out same price to VW dealer - interesting excercise though.

Would be interesting to see if we could do a bulk buy of pads though - save all members some cash - just a thought

Kaine

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
Nimrod said:
Boss,

How many miles did you get on the pads.?
Don't forget the way he drives.......

"Real" savings are to be made by using non-VW pads...

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
all good

All very professional and helpful - no question on my query on the pad costs (just a quick confirmation with boss and agreed to price match) - car nice and clean when we got there and invoice matched exactly quoted price

All in all very happy

Top marks Stourbridge VW

·
Elite Member
1,283 Posts
It's interesting to note that The Stourbridge VW franchise is a small one covering 3 garages - Stourbridge, Redditch and Wolverhampton all part of the Trust Group, whereas the Shrewsbury VW franchise is part of the Inchcape group .

Also the Windrush garage recommended by Nooby is an independent.

In my area (S. Manchester) I have no choice but to use an Inchcape franchise - it would appear that they are more expensive than several others.

It might be useful to know who owns your local franchise in order to establish who will be more liable to offer a deal.

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Which then set me thinking even more . . .

The next time VW come on here asking for our opinion we might tell them that privately/independently/family owned franchises are the way to go.

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
good idea

Lindvale,the garage Furion had all the trouble with(had to report to Trading Standards) is owned by Inchcape.
Indies have more to lose so guess try harder.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Shytot said:
In my area (S. Manchester) I have no choice but to use an Inchcape franchise - it would appear that they are more expensive than several others.
Have you tried Gilbert Lawton in Altrincham?

Cannot fault their customer service to date and I have had rear parking sensors fitted, hi level brake light replacement (warranty), battery replacement (warranty), full set of tyres (price match), brake fluid and air con service and 2nd LL service (price match)

·
Elite Member
1,283 Posts
AdamYates][quote=Shytot said:
Have you tried Gilbert Lawton in Altrincham?

Cannot fault their customer service to date and I have had rear parking sensors fitted, hi level brake light replacement (warranty), battery replacement (warranty), full set of tyres (price match), brake fluid and air con service and 2nd LL service (price match)[/quote]

Yes I used them for a SW update because SKF Stockport had pi**ed me off. Their service was fine.
Gilbert Lawton is also owned by Inchcape group and remarkably similar in price to the other Inchcape garages - especially when compared to the price that Kaine got for a lot of extra work. I guess that was more my point - there is no real competition in S. Manchester when it comes to VW service charges.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yes with you now - I have got into the practice of getting them to quote me, then going off and finding it cheaper elsewhere and offering them the price match, so far they have met the price so will stay with them as it is VW receipt to go in the collection for when the car moves on

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
I used Nationwide Autocentre's price to negotiate with my VW dealer. I didn't try and get to an exact price match as I'd rather have a VW stamp on a major service and the jobs done by someone who knows the car and has to hand the right oils, filters, parts and tools to do the work.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts