Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
I drive the car - the car does NOT drive me, thank you!
Hehehehe . . I suppose you don't use automatic wipers, gearbox, lights, radio tuning, tyre pressure monitoring, electric seats, dual zone air conditioning or any of the other fitted driver aids ?????

Fred Flintstone would be proud (y)(y)

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm struggling to think of exact occasions but the times I've found it intrusive have mostly been when towing.
Possible it's when I've been stuck in traffic jams on the motorway and using ACC. Rather than ACC picking up and moving me forwards automatically when the car ahead moves off, I have to tap the accelerator. Small inconvenience I know but after several hours stuck in a jam it's enough to piss me off. For the record, if you've been stopped for more than 2 or 3 mins, regardless off S/S you need to tap the accelerator to move off. this is bollox, it does move of automatically even with stop start turned on.

Also stopping at a junction when I've simply paused to check the way is clear, it kicks in very quickly. What would have been a glide to a stop, quick check and move off - is turned into a bit of a mess as the S/S kicks in, engine isn't quite stopped, press the accelerator, engine starts up (which feels like you've almost stalled a manual by not disengaging the clutch in time). If you're hard on the accelerator when it's just restarted (which you generally need to be with a weight hanging off the hitch) there's an additional delay in it picking up.
Probably not helped since I also use auto hold!
S/S is fitted to my daily but it's manual and if you hold the clutch in, it delays the implementation of the S/S system until one is ready to stop, occasionally I experience the same indecision on blind junctions, as you have described and you can feel like a learner :censored:

·
Registered
297 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hehehehe . . I suppose you don't use automatic wipers, gearbox, lights, radio tuning, tyre pressure monitoring, electric seats, dual zone air conditioning or any of the other fitted driver aids ?????

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
261 Posts
It does. Pin 10 is powered with ignition
Yeh but all cars for years have had a protection relay fitted, as part of the bar electrics, that shuts off power to the van if battery voltage falls below a set level to protect the car. If that occurs while the engine is stopped by stop/start I suspect theres still a damn good chance that the trailer will be shut off and, of course, that won't happen when that huge alternator on the Treg is pumping out the amps

·
Registered
297 Posts
Sure but how long are we talking with no power? Unless you're stopped in stationary traffic for long periods, the short time without power is unlikely to be sufficient to spoil your food.

Please excuse my ignorance on this as I've never looked into it too closely. If I put my Dometic fridge on 12v without the car's ignition on or without the van connected to the car, it beeps and flashes at me. According to the fridge manual that means 12V supply isn't available OR voltage is low. I've always assumed its because its running off my leisure battery, which despite being charged, doesn't quite have sufficient voltage to silence the alarm. Power from the car's alternator or a 12V solar setup, however would. Ergo the fridge is actually running off the leisure battery, which itself would be recharged from the alternator once the engine starts up and there is no actual loss of power to the fridge.

·
Super Moderator
15,776 Posts
S/S is fitted to my daily but it's manual and if you hold the clutch in, it delays the implementation of the S/S system until one is ready to stop, occasionally I experience the same indecision on blind junctions, as you have described and you can feel like a learner :censored:
Fortunately with the T3 Auto you can feather the brakes to a stop and if you don’t hit them too hard, stop/start doesn’t kick in and the auto-hold EPB does what it was intended to. Easy on the brakes is the key and easy on the throttle doesn’t give any delay when moving off 👍

Reactions: Andrewgrale

·
Registered
261 Posts
Sure but how long are we talking with no power? Unless you're stopped in stationary traffic for long periods, the short time without power is unlikely to be sufficient to spoil your food.

Please excuse my ignorance on this as I've never looked into it too closely. If I put my Dometic fridge on 12v without the car's ignition on or without the van connected to the car, it beeps and flashes at me. According to the fridge manual that means 12V supply isn't available OR voltage is low. I've always assumed its because its running off my leisure battery, which despite being charged, doesn't quite have sufficient voltage to silence the alarm. Power from the car's alternator or a 12V solar setup, however would. Ergo the fridge is actually running off the leisure battery, which itself would be recharged from the alternator once the engine starts up and there is no actual loss of power to the fridge.
A fully charged leisure battery will power a fridge for a period of time, not long kind I think it Maxes out at a couple of hour. However of more concern to me would be the continuous powering off and on of the fridge through stop/start impacts especially if that also reduces car battery charge such that the van supply is left off by the car even for short periods.

Each to his own I guess, as I previously said I’m not a fan of stop/start so am quite happy to have it off when towing, and most other times, and therefore it is all academic from my perspective.

·
Chairman
20,095 Posts

No I don't use auto wipers and auto lights.
The radio and its other distractions are never turned on.
And I'd happily treat anyone using a mobile phone on the move, hands-free or not, to an immediate 12 month driving ban.
I don't have electric seats.
The air conditioning is on permanently and the temperature is set at 18 in the summer and 20 in the winter but then that's not a driver aid.
I have a paper map book.
And I drive my auto cars using Tiptronic.
I'd prefer a key to unlock and lock the car too and I'd be very happy with wind up windows as well!

• Haha
Reactions: Cass

·
Registered
297 Posts
You consult a paper map whilst driving! When did you upgrade from the stone tablets Fred? :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Andrewgrale

·
Registered
229 Posts
Fortunately with the T3 Auto you can feather the brakes to a stop and if you don’t hit them too hard, stop/start doesn’t kick in and the auto-hold EPB does what it was intended to. Easy on the brakes is the key and easy on the throttle doesn’t give any delay when moving off 👍
Sounds like you have a system sorted to your liking (y)

·
Registered
229 Posts
No I don't use auto wipers and auto lights.
The radio and its other distractions are never turned on.
And I'd happily treat anyone using a mobile phone on the move, hands-free or not, to an immediate 12 month driving ban.
I don't have electric seats.
The air conditioning is on permanently and the temperature is set at 18 in the summer and 20 in the winter but then that's not a driver aid.
I have a paper map book.
And I drive my auto cars using Tiptronic.
I'd prefer a key to unlock and lock the car too and I'd be very happy with wind up windows as well!
Sounds like all the creature comforts in the Touareg are wasted on you :oops:

Perhaps you could drive a 110 Land Rover ;)

Wait . . That has forward facing seats and a wheel at each corner . . :alien:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Each to his own I guess, as I previously said I’m not a fan of stop/start so am quite happy to have it off when towing, and most other times, and therefore it is all academic from my perspective.
I've got into the habit of disabling it more often, having lived with it for longer. However, I'm still more than happy to have it on when I think it'll be beneficial. Will certainly be giving Cass' light touch method a try but I'm not really known for my light touch!

What does irk me, and this is when I'll probably I agree with Nooby, are settings defaulting back to 'on' each time you start up. I kinda get it with S/S but I do think I'm a big enough boy to know when I want to turn something off and have it stay off. Main beef being lane assist. Which I've tried once, hated and now have to do a two button jig each time I start the car to disable it.

Reactions: Cass

·
Chairman
20,095 Posts
I've seen two minor bumps caused by the fraction of a delay with SS and nearly had a bad moment myself when I misjudged coming out of a junction thanks to SS, hence my total aversion to not keeping a car "live" at all times to be able to respond in a split second.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've got into the habit of disabling it more often, having lived with it for longer. However, I'm still more than happy to have it on when I think it'll be beneficial. Will certainly be giving Cass' light touch method a try but I'm not really known for my light touch!

What does irk me, and this is when I'll probably I agree with Nooby, are settings defaulting back to 'on' each time you start up. I kinda get it with S/S but I do think I'm a big enough boy to know when I want to turn something off and have it stay off. Main beef being lane assist. Which I've tried once, hated and now have to do a two button jig each time I start the car to disable it.
I’ve changed mine with vcds to remember my last setting so it doesn’t automatically reset now. When I turn it off it stays off until I want it on, even after I’ve turned the ignition off and on again. Simple mod

·
Super Moderator
15,776 Posts

Not sure a light touch will work on a T5, as it doesn’t seem to do so on the T4 but let us know 🤔

·
Registered
297 Posts
I’ve changed mine with vcds to remember my last setting so it doesn’t automatically reset now. When I turn it off it stays off until I want it on, even after I’ve turned the ignition off and on again. Simple mod
Can I dick around with these settings myself without invalidating the warranty?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Can I dick around with these settings myself without invalidating the warranty?
I don’t know if the mods work on a t5 I’m afraid and as manufacturers will normally do anything to reject a warranty claim it just gives them an excuse. I only changed mine after the warranty had expired as it’s an easy change for them to find if they look.

·
Registered
297 Posts
2 years to go until I can start meddling :rolleyes:

21 - 40 of 40 Posts