Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just seen this [0]=AZXWxIbUtizE9TkUymbJ4mVVvR_xxkNc4Ce-GyyDa048eKozB_DNxOPAk8wv7xaT-_XmBqntkTv-s-I-pdvUS3hCtegR_n42CB23duF02kfX8PxRG1XBfv6hY4HsL3ssjl_3wMd2CN6bUvllF0vK-doiyQTYZx0RxUrGRlMvL21wad9LKbAEsT9mCEqPpiiNw6Ub23ed0yRrkrVWmx7WFDzm&__tn=-UK-R

Super Moderator
I thought it was more about preventing emissions from stationary vehicles 馃

Registered
Not sure what you've linked as I just see a line of code but 5th Gear did a slightly unscientific test a number of years back and showed it did save fuel around town

Chairman
I don't care if it does, it's not safe so no stopfart for me, thank you.

Reactions: Jonnny

Registered
I thought it was more about preventing emissions from stationary vehicles 馃
If you not burning fuel you're not producing emissions and reducing consumption, win win :)

Though why it can't read my mind when I'm doing a three point turn(or similar) and deactivate is a little frustraighting. Mabe it does on the latest models :geek:

Reactions: Cass

Registered
Just seen this [0]=AZXWxIbUtizE9TkUymbJ4mVVvR_xxkNc4Ce-GyyDa048eKozB_DNxOPAk8wv7xaT-_XmBqntkTv-s-I-pdvUS3hCtegR_n42CB23duF02kfX8PxRG1XBfv6hY4HsL3ssjl_3wMd2CN6bUvllF0vK-doiyQTYZx0RxUrGRlMvL21wad9LKbAEsT9mCEqPpiiNw6Ub23ed0yRrkrVWmx7WFDzm&__tn=-UK-R
Very interesting (y)(y)(y)

I wonder though what fuel it takes to recharge a battery after "starting a ton of times"????

In the urban environment stop/start works well, and it drops motor tax too . . It'd be a shame not to use it ;)

Super Moderator
The system has default settings to prevent it kicking in, eg. when starting up from cold, but personally I switch it off after starting so that it doesn鈥檛 cut at inopportune moments, specially after long runs on motorways when approaching roundabouts and the engine/turbo is hot.

Registered
The system has default settings to prevent it kicking in, eg. when starting up from cold, but personally I switch it off after starting so that it doesn鈥檛 cut at inopportune moments, specially after long runs on motorways when approaching roundabouts and the engine/turbo is hot.
The exhaust system has temperature sensors to protect the engine/turbo (y)(y)

Personally I leave systems to sort themselves out and don't intervene until maintenance is needed

Reactions: Cass

Registered
The exhaust system has temperature sensors to protect the engine/turbo (y)(y)

Personally I leave systems to sort themselves out and don't intervene until maintenance is needed
I've noticed it operate differently under different conditions e.g. it wont kick in until the engine has reach operating temperature. After periods of high load it wont always kick in, and on hot days when the AC is pumping it doesn't kick in.

I've found towing it does annoy the crap out of me and I disable it. In slow moving traffic or stuck in a traffic jam, I put it back on.

Registered
I've noticed it operate differently under different conditions e.g. it wont kick in until the engine has reach operating temperature. After periods of high load it wont always kick in, and on hot days when the AC is pumping it doesn't kick in.

I've found towing it does annoy the crap out of me and I disable it. In slow moving traffic or stuck in a traffic jam, I put it back on.
If it is working when towing then the car hasn鈥檛 been coded properly. When the car is correctly coded the start/stop is disabled when a trailer is attached and plugged in

Registered
If it is working when towing then the car hasn鈥檛 been coded properly. When the car is correctly coded the start/stop is disabled when a trailer is attached and plugged in
Not so for the T5. Covered this before somewhere in the towing section. It's not stated in the manual and I've checked with VW.

Registered
Font Number Document Parallel

Font Number Screenshot

Rectangle Font Screenshot Number Parallel

Chairman
After reading that then more than ever just turn it off!

Registered
Not so for the T5. Covered this before somewhere in the towing section. It's not stated in the manual and I've checked with VW.
In which case I鈥檇 definitely be turning it off when towing then

Registered

Registered

Registered
Again I ask . . Why???
I'm struggling to think of exact occasions but the times I've found it intrusive have mostly been when towing.
Possible it's when I've been stuck in traffic jams on the motorway and using ACC. Rather than ACC picking up and moving me forwards automatically when the car ahead moves off, I have to tap the accelerator. Small inconvenience I know but after several hours stuck in a jam it's enough to piss me off. For the record, if you've been stopped for more than 2 or 3 mins, regardless off S/S you need to tap the accelerator to move off. this is bollox, it does move of automatically even with stop start turned on.

Also stopping at a junction when I've simply paused to check the way is clear, it kicks in very quickly. What would have been a glide to a stop, quick check and move off - is turned into a bit of a mess as the S/S kicks in, engine isn't quite stopped, press the accelerator, engine starts up (which feels like you've almost stalled a manual by not disengaging the clutch in time). If you're hard on the accelerator when it's just restarted (which you generally need to be with a weight hanging off the hitch) there's an additional delay in it picking up.
Probably not helped since I also use auto hold!

Chairman

Registered
Again I ask . . Why???
Primarily because I want to make sure my fridge in the van is constantly powered.

German manufacturers are renowned for not fitting fridge feeds which have to be separately fitted therefore does the start/stop shut off power to the van when it stops? I don't know the answer because mine is a T3 and correctly coded (for a T3) to shut off stop/start when towing so I'd never be able to check but I don't like the system at the best of times so normally always have it turned off anyway.

Registered
I can't remember. I think it starts powering the fridge as soon as the ignition is on. This would indicate that it does.

Font Rectangle Art Paper product Number

1 - 20 of 40 Posts