Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you know or have experienced problems with the stereo volume / onoff
control breaking. After buying my car the stereo button dissappeared into the unit. I contacted VW about having it fixed under warranty however they said that they all do that but it is not covered by warranty, it can be replaced but only by changing the whole unit at a cost of approx £1000!! One dealer explained that there had been a bulletin issued by VW stating that the knob only broke under excessive force. However as the dealer pointed out the bulletin has only been issued due to the number of breakages so admitting there is a problem.

Alternatively if anyone has had the problem and found a fix for it i would be very appreciative if you could share it with me.

This is not the only problem i have had but it is the only one which is unresolved after a new turbo and various other bits peices repaired under warranty.

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
Only thing I can add on that is that if you have to replace, don't spend £1000.....the units are often for sale for about £500 - try ebay.

·
36 Posts
QUOTE(JamesV10 @ Dec 12 2005, 01:22 PM)Do any of you know or have experienced problems with the stereo volume / onoff
control breaking. After buying my car the stereo button dissappeared into the unit. I contacted VW about having it fixed under warranty however they said that they all do that but it is not covered by warranty, it can be replaced but only by changing the whole unit at a cost of approx £1000!! One dealer explained that there had been a bulletin issued by VW stating that the knob only broke under excessive force. However as the dealer pointed out the bulletin has only been issued due to the number of breakages so admitting there is a problem.

Alternatively if anyone has had the problem and found a fix for it i would be very appreciative if you could share it with me.

This is not the only problem i have had but it is the only one which is unresolved after a new turbo and various other bits peices repaired under warranty.
[snapback]14202[/snapback]​

My manual states that the knob is designed to break away under excess force as a safety feature...

·
3,680 Posts
I might sell you one. Have a spare CD Sat Nav.
Came out of our 2005 V10.

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have found a stereo man who is going to have a go at fixing it otherwise we will have to talk. what have you changed to?

·
25 Posts
I broke mine when I removed it and tried to push it back in.

I took it appart and fixed it with a bit of superglue. Quite easy if you are practically minded VERY carefull and dont mind having a go.

The button sits on a circular plastic washer type thing that looks like a cartwheel. Its the spokes of the "cartwheel" that break so the button just hangs loose and doesnt turn anything. Be very carfull with the glue, mine worked perfectly afterward for at least the last 5 months I had it....

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you that is very helpful and very much in keeping with the car. we have used glue or putty to repair several little bits. its either that or off to vw for a large bill and the same problem later.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts