Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi newbie here
Hope someone can give me some advice
I have recently bought an 2.5 tdi auto 2004 all seemed fine untill today
when i turned into my drive i got this awfull judder/vibration so i reversed back and drove in again and it did it again i
got my hubby to have a go he says im paranoid as it didnt do it for him but its the first time it did it for me
so maybe its intermitent
Have done a lot of forum searching and think that the problem could be the stepper motors
does anyone know if there is a way of finding out if my car has had the new software imputted
as that seemed to solve the problem with some cars and would it be worth just going to vw and asking them ?

thanks in advance
troggy

·
114 Posts
It may also have just been the tyres "skipping" sideways if you were on full lock, common on 4-wheel drive cars.

Certainly no harm in checking with VW that the car has had all the software updates done - just call a dealer with your car's chassis number and they should be able to tell you.

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Call your dealer's service department ask if they''ll do a free safety check. Takes about an hour so take a paper and be preapred to wait 2 hours as they may wash 'n' vac too!

Whilst there ask them to run off the build sheets and check on FISH/ELSA for any outstanding field campaigns - they'll probably do the latter automatically but ask regardless.

You should also find "recall - job done" stickers on the bare metal around the well in the boot in which your spare wheel is stored.

Get them to check the stepper motor. I did after reading about them on here. Mine has been replaced at some stage as it carries a manufacturing date of September 2006 - fixed just before the VW warranty expired I suspect!

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi
thanks for your advice
I contacted the nearest vw dealership to me which is Dutton Forshaw vw and i gave them the chassis number
she told me that no recalls or problems had come up for my chassis number
I asked if i could get it safety checked and she said yes no problem
that will be ?49 97 for the hour and see how long it takes to find any problems and there will be a charge on running
i said i would let her know.
there are no stickers anywhere in the boot.
Hubby thinks i should stop worrying as he has driven as much as me and had no problems so maybe it was the tyres
gripping i think i will do has he says and see if anything develops
thank you for your advice i think this is a great community
thanks

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
My dealer does free safety checks especially for customers they've not seen before - it's a way of getting to meet them and get them as future customers.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Might be worth while asking the previous owner about any recalls etc. if you have the original owner's manual it should have his/her details in it or even the vehicle log book.

·
1,307 Posts
i have noticed that i get a slight scrubbing of the wheels on full lock especially when reversing but i am happy with that.

if there was a noticeable vibration and jumping i would get it checked out, i am not 100% sure of my way around the Treg yet as i am only a new boy myself, but from my 4x4 experience it could be the start of something more serious, like a viscous coupling...

please can one of you forum gods advise

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi
can anyone tell me where the stepper motors are actually situated on the cars running gear
hubby felt the judder today he says it almost feels like a worn cv joint but we know its not that coz it doesnt happen all the time
just interested to know where they are
thanks

G

·
I'm pretty sure they are mounted on the centre differential. Someone posted a photo, but I can't find it. They are black plastic, have wires connected, cylindrical, about 2 in. diameter from memory, and have a part number on them. I believe your car should have had the 90D7 update (it wasn't strictly a recall) and a sticker should be attached to the boot floor, forward, left, under the carpeted cover to show it was done.

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for that
as i said there isnt a sticker anywhere and when i contacted vw they said my chassis no didnt relate to that software upgrade
so if it is the stepper motors software was never upgraded the motors are probably goosed now anyway
but why doesnt it do it everytime ?

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Here's a pic.

If you stand or, more likely if at home, crawl underneath the car [having secured it on level ground in P, parking brake on, keys out of the ignition and chocked the wheels of course] by the [UK] offside back door and then look forward, the stepper motor is to the right [offside] of the gearbox/prop.

This photo was taken in such a way that the stepper motor appears to be on the left, or UK nearside - it isn't!

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Here's another link that may be useful:

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur ... 0(European)/027.jpg&imgrefurl=http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread%3Fid%3D1163199&usg=__tiIwBhmr3vl8mCg1UNyHL4x25lM=&h=566&w=800&sz=73&hl=en&start=18&tbnid=-Z1M96XZDGId0M:&tbnh=101&tbnw=143&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtouareg%2B%252B%2Bstepper%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks again
at least we now know what he main suspect looks like
it doesnt look that complicatedof a job
or am i wrong ???
if it was possible to change the stepper motor ourselves
would that be it ,or would it need to go on a computer to set up
also the 90d7 recall was done by the dealers as its wrote in the service book,when i contacted them they said it was a replaced water pump done 2 years ago ,but no sticker in boot

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
I'm not sure it's as easy as that.

I think you should get the car inspected by a VW Treg technician to get the correct diagnosis of what is actually wrong.

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
we are going away for a few days but when we get back i will book it in vw to get it
checked out , god help us !!!!!
apart from the judder thing the car seems fine
thanks for your replys

G

·
Brilliant find noobs - I looked for ages

As I recall that post, the fact that the part number is enlarged was significant. I remember crawling underneath my car and being greatly re-assured that I had the new part number. Troggy, suggest you check the number while you, or hubby, is under there.

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
I was under my 2003 the other day looking at the wishbone bushes and noticed that the date of manufacture on the stepper motor was 26 September 2006 so it was clearly changed post that date, probably whilst the car was still under warranty - just!

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi
Just an update on the judder
We tried to get the car booked into our local vw main agents but they didnt seem to want to know
probably because they didnt seem to have a clue about the car, anyway we found out another vw main agents was the place to go
we went today and of course the judder didnt happen when the tech guy drove the car, but he did seem to know what we meant and as told us its more than likely the stepper motor although he didnt call it that, and that he had done the job before and replacing it should solve the problem,his description of what was physically happening when we get the judder was pretty much spot on to what as been said on this thread,basically that there is a wind up effect due to the motor not working properly and the judder is the pressure releasing itself when turning slowly ie when parking up. or something like that
im not too good at explaining what he said !!.but its booked in for next thursday so with any luck it will be sorted then
fingers crossed
thanks for the helpfull replies i have received they are much appreciated

·
Super Moderator
15,678 Posts
Result

Cass

1 - 20 of 23 Posts