Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car finally went in to VW crewe Thursday/friday for various warranty items, Bass horn,drivers door handle and hand brake release handle that had broken off.

I happened to mention a low speed judder / clunk on full lock in forward or reverse gears, i also reported abnormal tyre wear on the outside of the fronts which has gone from a nice even 4mm across the whole tread to bald and then some on the outside 2", this has happened in the last 1000 miles with tyre pressures kept to vw recommendations.

Phone call to VW Crewe to see how things were progressing and i was informed that all Treg's suffer with tyre wear like that and the tech didn't see any issue, i asked them to look again and mentioned the transfer box, low and behold when i picked up the Treg last night, the master tech had got involved and sent off to VW in germany a list of fault codes, VW germany responded asking Crewe to review a technical bulletin (tpi20109960 - Tregtech, any idea!?), Crewe didn't have any record of this on their system and have asked germany to email the details and the fix to them for monday morning.

The master tech has backed up my claim by testing another Treg of same spec and age and 'everything is nice and smooth' he also played with the high#low range dial on my Treg and noted a clunking when changing between high/low/diff locked, this also should be smooth and the change over should be unnoticed.

I mentioned to VW crewe that this points more and more to the transfer box / stepper motor issue and as a result i want replacement tyres allround, as a jesture on my part i offered to book the car in for the long life 3 service which is due in 4K (?295 all in) at the same time as the transfer box is resolved and the tyres are replaced, which they seemed fine about.

i also happened to mention the forum a couple of times and that i knew of other owners who had shared their experiences on this issue, the chap on service gave me a knowing look and also went the colour of boiled sh1te, giving me the impression that he knew he was dealing with some one who had bothered to carry out his/her own research and that he / she knew what they were talking about and couldn't be fobbed off.

i have taken the Treg back for now ( washed and vac'd ) with a view to book in for back end of this week.

Must say VW Crewe have performed ok so far and they have been very respectful of my comments and and issues, so not going to give them a hard time, they just seemed to have not come across the stepper motor issue before and how to reolve it.

I will update hopefully next weekend.

Jim

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UPDATE.

The Tregs in at the moment.

Additional diagnostics prove that the stepper motor needs replacing, i have asked for replacement tyres all round, the Dealer seems to think that this can be sorted under warranty as a consequential damage issue, but they are still waiting for the go ahead from VW. Lets see what happens with that.

Got Lattitudes on at the moment and Dealer reports that they are down to just above the legal limit at each corner, funny i checked sunday evening and could have sworn that there was 4mm allround, Funny that.

Long life service 3 is being carried out, only advisory notice is front discs are 28mm thick, the recommended minimum is 30mm, i have been advised that the front pads are in the same sort of condition. I have been quoted ?580.00 all in to replace the front discs and pads along with sensors etc....told the Dealers that i will keep my powder dry for the moment and book the car back in for the brake service, in reality i will shop around, national tyres or kwik fit should do the job!?

The service dianostic has turned up a fault with the fuel filter housing, i have been told that there is a warning out for this to be checked on all touaregs that come in for an inspection of some sort, BUT, i am not sure at this moment as to what age cars are affected or the actual fault....i will find out tomorrow when i pick the car up. the fuel filter housing will be replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE.

The Stepper motor has been replaced but the symptoms remian, the dealer has advised that the 'front diff' (??) will need to be replaced and these are on back order from Germany, 10 days delivery has been quoted.

At this moment in time the Treg is on the ramps in bits and i'm tooling around in a front wheeled drive Saab.

So far i'll be without the Treg for 2 weeks.

Also, as my previosus posts, i have been advised that the front disks and pads need replacing, i have done some digging and found out that the brakes were reported to be sticking by the previous owner. VW Harrogate replaced the front disks and pads to try and rectify the problem, this was 13K miles ago.

So after 13K miles i have disks that are less than the recommended minimum thickness and pads that have 20% life left in them, i have made my dealer aware that the brakes have been reported as sticking previously and that i want this looking into, i can't justify 3 sets of pads and disks a year at this rate (?1500 min).

Jim

·
350 Posts
Definitely shop around for the brakes. Had the front pads done by the local garage for 128quid all in, the quote with the discs as well was about 100quid more......

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dorset_treg said:
Definitely shop around for the brakes. Had the front pads done by the local garage for 128quid all in, the quote with the discs as well was about 100quid more......
Deffo.

Would do that anyway regardless of the sticking issue, but want that sorted first by VW if poss, if not i've been on to my local National tyres who are happy to do the job, but want to see the treg first to make sure they order the right parts as they 'don't see may of those in 'ere!'

?250 ish should do the job from NT.

Jim

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE.

Treg is still in, Front Diff has been replaced and the dealer has advised that the car is 'much better'!

Dealer has reported to VW so awaiting the decision on the tyres as consequential damage.

Spoke to the Work Shop Manager, stepper motor cost inc fitting is almost ?1k, main diff ?2.5K plus fitting :shock:

God Bless VW warranty (so far)

Expecting the Treg back end of the week.

Jim

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another UPDATE.

Treg's back, everything seems fixed and running as you would expect after a service, plus a bottle of washer fluid and 1 litre of oil in the front passenger footwell

Tyre wear due to stepper motor/diff fault NOT sorted, VW have offered 30% contribution to a set of tyres of my choice...

going to search other posts, what do people think to the 30% offer.

Jim

·
Chairman
20,138 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just ordered a set of Toyo Proxes ST 275/45/19.

Being fitted by Event Tyres tomorrow midday, cost ?630.00 all in, once i send VW the invoice they will refund me 30% as their contribution, that works out at ?441.00 fitted at home!

Jim

·
Chairman
20,138 Posts
Let us know how you get on with Event, please.

Also comments on the tyres too would be good.

Several people on here - including me - have used them and been very pleased.

The one exception was when the fitter tried to change the time of the appointment and unfortunately p*ssed the customer off. Oh dear!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Event tyres were spot on, very impressed.

The fitter called about 9 a.m asking if my noon time slot could be shifted forward to 11a.m, i agreed and the event van pulled up at exactly 11a.m.

Fitter ( forgot to get his name!! ) was polite and professional, 4 tyres replaced including rebalance in 55mins, he kept saying sorry that it had taken so long... told him not to worry about it!!

All i can say is that i will be calling Event Tyres first, the next time i need tyres.

With regards to the tyres, inital impressions are good, no concernable increase in road noise, good levels of grip, should get better in the next 500 miles or so.

Need to get the front brakes sorted now, had the dreaded warning light on ONE HOUR after the new tyres were fitted :roll:

·
Chairman
20,138 Posts
Where are you going for your brakes? Not a main dealer I hope!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
brakes international in Lancs.

will be fitted by local national tyres for ?50.00 as long as i take the receipt with me for proof of purchase!?, should get the lot done around the ?250.00 ish mark.

as an update spending this week in the north yorkshire moors, new tyres and Treg taking everything we have thrown at it so far!!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update and case closed.

just recieved this email re tyre contribution from VW.

Hello Mr Myhill,

We have happily been able to claim the 30% contribution for you, (?189.31 inc), and a cheque requisition is now with our accounts dept. All that remains is for them to raise the cheque, and for us to send it out to you, so it will be sent by 1st class post either tomorrow or Friday, to your home address. I will confirm via e-mail when the cheque has been posted.

Regards

Jo

Joanne Hardy

Service Manager

Crewe Volkswagen

better than nothing:twoup:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Towrag,

I've got my 57 3.0d in for some warranty issues (pick it up tomorrow) and I mentioned a loud clunking/groaning noise when on full lock in 1st and reverse. Seems worse when car is cold and I reverse out the drive and immediately turn 90degs so I notice it every morning. The car did not do this until this month but I've just been told on the phone that 'they all do that Sir' and when they tried a stock car that they have in of the same age, it did it too!

I am very very sceptical having read of your experience and have said so. The fact that the car has not always done this makes me wonder too. Diagnostics doesn't bring anything up therefore they refuse to acknowledge anything might be wrong.

Autoheadlights coming on in broad daylight (with associated and unwanted 'night mode' on satnav) - No fault found.

Windscreen wipers missing areas of screen and juddering - No fault found.

20" Michelin Diamaris tyres close to replacement after 12k - No fault found, well within normal limits Sir.

Non heating drivers mirror - No fault found (Me - check again, It's not bl**dy working; Them Oh sorry, right enough there's a broken connection)

I'm getting a bit hacked off, it took loads of foot stamping to get a courtesy car bigger than a Polo and I was told today that it would be valeted but only as a goodwill gesture as they normally don't valet cars getting warranty work done only cars where the owners are actually parting with cash!!

Any thoughts on the situation??

·
Superman
2,258 Posts
Goldcup, per your niggles:

Wipers:
Try this post, some have had replaced under warranty - just need to find a good garage note the excellent post from Pilgrim with pictures:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3646&hilit=wipers

Michelin Diamaris:
(With a replaced Transfer box, and sw upgrade) Had these, wore after 8k, Pirelli scorpions only lasting 7k - they're great grip, but too soft for the weight of the car if you want longevity. Hankooks or General Grabbers to be ordered shortly.

Auto headlights:
Had the sensor replaced under warranty on ours, fixed lights not auto on unless pitch black, and over sensitive auto wipers.

You may need a software upgrade to respole tyre scrubbing/clunk you mention, just put your foot down and take threads from here with you.

These are known faults, and have been rectified, maybe you need to find a more 'helpful' dealer who wants your business.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I can comment on couple of points:

Re the wipers- my car is a November 2005 car and so missed out on a modification for the 2007 Face-lifted cars which was to use different wiper arms. When it was raining my car was missing a section directly in front of the driver and so raised this with my local (non Luxury) VW dealer we ordered the later spec arms which has made thing much better. Is your car a pre-facelift one?

Re the tyres- 12k seems about right based on my experience with Pirellis (11k on the last set and now after 9k the second set is down to 2 or 3mm). The Michelin & Pirelli tyres may give good handling but they are too soft a compound for such a heavy car and so my next set will probably be Toyo Proxes STs (as there is limited choice for 19? wheels)- these have the same load and speed rating as the factory-fit tyres but are a harder compound.

It might be worth having a look on the Dealer Experience section of the forum to see if there is abetter one in your area- the dealers do seem very hit-n-miss.

Cas

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Sorry missed another point....
Re the auto lights- I must admit I don?t use the auto lights as they seem too sensitive- putting on the lights when I would not- and so use them manually. You can however change the settings on the Sat-Nav to stop it switching to ?Night-Lighting-Mode? when the lights are on- I have done this and don?t find it too bright at night.

Cas

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Gold

Sometimes you have to TELL the dealer the problem and show that you know what you are talking about and you can not be fobbed off, quoting other peeps experiences on here could help, i said i knew that others had had the same issues and what had been done to sort them, including tyre cost contribution from VW, i also mentioned the forum and the wealth of information available to me/us.

In you case it sounds like the stepper motor, i'm not sure what it actually does, but there is one in the rear diff, which i'm told sits under the front arm rest, this should be the first port of call by VW because its the cheapest option, they will remove the motor and drive the vehicle to see if the symptoms are still there, if not its the stepper motor. in my case a new stepper motor was fitted at the cost of about ?1K to VW, however with the new stepper motor inplace the symptoms returned and VW refused to hand the car back until sorted.

Next port of call was the front diff as a whole, this was replaced at a cost of ?2.5K parts only, this fixed the symptoms, even changing between the high/low/locked diff settings on the selector dial were smoother, they had been clunky before and the Treg Tech confirmed this.

Once i was sent on my merry way and i was happy the symptoms had been sorted, VW offered a 30% contribution for replacing the tyres which were shot, it doesn't help that you have Diamaras's(?) on ,they are way way too soft, it sounds like you will be replacing tyres soon, i would go for Toyo Proxes ST's if you can find them in your size - mine were 275 /45 / 19 and cost ?630.00 from event tyres not including VW's 30% contribution - or the General Grabber's are also very highly rated on here.

you asked, i answered, hope it was helpfull!!

Good Luck

Jim

1 - 20 of 23 Posts