Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Have only just noticed that I can slightly feel a bit of vibration through the steering wheel when going over small bumps or pot holes. I don?t seem to have a lot of damper form the front suspension. My car has only done 32000 miles and has been regularly services by Volkswagen.

Is this a common thing with Touaregs?

I do seem to have a wheel alignment issue which I am getting done soon. Do you think this may be playing a part in this problem? If the camber isn?t correct on the front wheels and the tyres are not sitting on the road properly, will I feel the road more?

Any advice would be great.

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
If you've got worn suspension components, dampers, bushes etc, then get these sorted BEFORE the alignment or you will be throwing good money after bad.

Get your dealer/independent workshop to check the suspension and steering components first and make sure everything it tickety boo. This is for safety as much as anything.

In fact, thinking about it, I reckon an MOT test would do the job!

·
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you think there could be a problem with the parts mentioned on a vehicle that has only done 32000 miles? espesially being a VW.

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
Yes.

You've got a big, heavy, 4x4. Nothing is immune from wear even at only 32K: speed humps, a kerbing, all sorts of thing can cause bushes and/or components to wear. You might even have a failing/failed shock absorber.

From your original post, if I were in your shoes I'd get the suspension and steering checked out before doing the alignment.

·
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will get it checked before. have opened another thread in the general section ablout alignment and tyre wear. Have a look and let me know what ya think.

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
Already replied to your other post!!

From what I read I think you should probably have changed all 4 tyres together as there should not be more than 2 - 3 mm tread difference across all 4 tyres.

Please check the tread depths and compare. You are probably on 9 mm on the new tyres and I am guessing from reading your post that you are on less than 4 mm on the remaining two. That difference is too great according to other posts on this subject.

·
749 Posts
noobytoogy said:
Already replied to your other post!!

From what I read I think you should probably have changed all 4 tyres together as there should not be more than 2 - 3 mm tread difference across all 4 tyres.

Please check the tread depths and compare. You are probably on 9 mm on the new tyres and I am guessing from reading your post that you are on less than 4 mm on the remaining two. That difference is too great according to other posts on this subject.
Yepp just went thru this, the dealer changed 3 tyres and and left one at 4.5 mm, thanks to info on the forum i was able to get the dealer to change the remaing tyre, also the manual recomends tyres should be changed at least in pairs and as mentioned there shouldnt be more than 2-3mm differance between all four tyres.

I am told the reason is it can cause problems with the drive train.

Furion

·
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Today was the day............First of all i got 2 brand new front tyres fitted even tho i didn't need them. I then went to chemix autocentre and got the suspension mechanisms checked - dampers, shocks, bushes etc. I then got 4 wheel alignment done. The engineer did NOT find anything wrong and didn't need to adjust anything. He said everything is fine and gave me a full comprehensive printout to prove it. All settings are well within tollerance.

Strange thing is as soon as i had a new set of front tyres the car felt different and the steering wheel was straiter in a strait line compared to before. I wanted to get the 4 wheel alignment done anyway just to see if it flagged up a problem.

The suspension dont seem as harsh and not noticed any vibration as yet so i gues at was all down to tyres. i now have a full set of the same make tyres on my Treg.

I will scan the alignment printout and post it on this thread asap.

cheers

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
Don't forget to run in your new tyres for a 100 miles or so - no harsh braking, cornering or acceleration.

·
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes noobytoogy will do. I am going to Woolacombe, North Devon tomorrow so that should be a good chance to run em in.

Anyway, See below the 4 wheel alignment report from Chemix Autocentres that i had done yesterday. Click on it to make it bigger.

cheers
4 Wheel Alignment Report.jpg[/attachment:2ap26bq2]

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
That's pretty impressive!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts