Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Elite Member
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noted a noise and vibration :shock: from the steering column and rack mounts (felt through n/s front floor) last week. Symptoms were a high frequency vibration and associated hum when changing direction with steering under load.

Symptoms disappeared but returned yesterday.

Took car to dealer (Gilder Sheffield) who had a look straight away and diagnosed a steering rack fault and the car did have a power steering rack hose leak when I first got it which was sorted under warranty

Rack being changed under warranty next week.

Knowing a (very little) bit about hydraulics it did sound like a hydraulic ram with an air lock.

When the rack is changed I will try to find out more about the cause.

Very happy with Gilders response though

·
Super Moderator
15,723 Posts
VW have had steering rack issues previously - Mk V Golf was problematic during early years (2005-6).

Good to hear it's getting sorted under warranty though

Cass

·
135 Posts
"Noted a noise and vibration :shock: from the steering column and rack mounts (felt through n/s front floor) last week. Symptoms were a high frequency vibration and associated hum when changing direction with steering under load."

Had very similar symptoms and reported them in Sept 2010 during service / warrenty check. They never found anything!
Just had it in today after problem has been much worse. They have diagnosed a Steering Rack replacement!! Warrenty is out but I've told them I want them to request a 'good will' replacement from VW because I knew there was something not right 6 months ago.

See what happens!?!

·
Elite Member
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think there may have been a "faulty batch". Had no problems since.
Keep the pressure on the dealer as you had raised the problem before the warranty expired.
You get the feeling some dealers try to put you off until the factory warranty expires!

At some point soon Nooby will raise the inevitable question, do you have an aftermarket warranty? Brace yourself!

·
135 Posts
I think there may have been a "faulty batch". Had no problems since.
Keep the pressure on the dealer as you had raised the problem before the warranty expired.
You get the feeling some dealers try to put you off until the factory warranty expires!

At some point soon Nooby will raise the inevitable question, do you have an aftermarket warranty? Brace yourself!
Thanks for the warning, if I get in quick with the answers "No", "I understand the benefits" and "I just never got around to it", do you think it will stave him off?

Hopeful they will get it done for me, but fearing the worst.

·
Elite Member
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im not aware of any tactics that can deflect NT from his warranty soapbox (he is right though and I wouldnt be without one!)

Dont be put off by the dealer. If you reported the problem within warranty you should have a good case. If in doubt go higher. Now who knows the best person to contact within VW UK.............I think its Nooby!

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
Ah iz here, bro!
But ah wunt say
ah told ya'all so
coz dat ain't right
but if yah want warranteee
yah talk to NoobyT.
Shame de rack is crap
... but so iz me rap!

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
I say, chaps, if you want to talk to the big cheese at VW GB, get on to [email protected]

Toodle pip.

·
135 Posts
I say, chaps, if you want to talk to the big cheese at VW GB, get on to [email protected]

Toodle pip.
I will see what tomorrow brings but I will note down the name / address, thanks. Are you at liberty to say who Chris is? (with respect to his position and pulling power!!)

Cheers,

Andy

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
I will see what tomorrow brings but I will note down the name / address, thanks. Are you at liberty to say who Chris is? (with respect to his position and pulling power!!)

Cheers,

Andy
Allegedly the MD!

·
Super Moderator
15,723 Posts
I got a new Audi A4 in 1997 when I complained direct to Len Hunt at Audi UK

Cass

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
Allegedly the MD!
Chris is the MD of vw passenger cars. Usually takes a couple of weeks to get a response as complaints are passed to a central team worth bearing in mind though. Regarding goodwill from vw, I managed when I had my valve chest replaced because I raised the issue before my warranty expired best of luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
How much would it cost to get a new steering rack fitted.
My car is doing this. Its starts with vibration and then i get the noise its not all the time, and it only happens when i've been driving for about 2hrs.Then it might start. But when i drive it the next day the noise has gone.and that can be it for the next few weeks.

I took it to a independent vw garage where i go all the time he had a look and changed the steering fluid.but it made no differenc to it.

·
135 Posts
How much would it cost to get a new steering rack fitted.
My car is doing this. Its starts with vibration and then i get the noise its not all the time, and it only happens when i've been driving for about 2hrs.Then it might start. But when i drive it the next day the noise has gone.and that can be it for the next few weeks.

I took it to a independent vw garage where i go all the time he had a look and changed the steering fluid.but it made no differenc to it.
Hi, I had the same symptoms as you described and intermittently too. This is why the dealer missed it first time I asked them to take a look while the car was in warranty. After much to and fro, as written above, I paid 10% of the total retail cost for parts and labour and it was £126, so I guess you are looking at around £1200 - £1300 from a VW principal garage, or probably abit less from an independant. The retail cost of the main part (the rack) was just over £700 according to the invoice I got.

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks Andy

£700 sounds about right. when i ask Mark at the garage how much a new steering rack would cost he said its a dealer part and its about £400.

Im looking to get rid next year as i would like the mk3. So do i pay for it doing or leave it !!!!

·
Super Moderator
15,723 Posts
Thanks Andy

£700 sounds about right. when i ask Mark at the garage how much a new steering rack would cost he said its a dealer part and its about £400.

Im looking to get rid next year as i would like the mk3. So do i pay for it doing or leave it !!!!
Personally, I'd get this done asap, subject to a correct diagnosis. The steering is a critical safety issue in any car, not to mention an obvious danger to passengers and other road users if it failed completely whilst driving.

It may well get discovered during an MOT, resulting in failure and if you had an accident, your liability would be obvious, and could invalidate the policy (fail to reasonably maintain etc).

The Treg is an expensive luxury car which has some known issues and potentially costly repairs. The early models are falling in value and can therefore can be picked up from as little as £10k but potential buyers will be wise to potential faults by accessing information sites and doing their research. This forum is no doubt visited by potential future owners, so the responsible answer to your question is definately "YES"

Cass

·
135 Posts
I agree with Cass, I'd take the hit and do it. You should benefit when selling it, it won't go unnoticed by a buyer spending that kind of cash, and you can be honest and say you had it replaced so it's something less for the new buyer to be concerned about failing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks guys

I know there are expensive cars to repair and run thats why i took out warranty with warranty direct and i put some money aside when i get paid.

I will go up and have a word with Mark and ask if to sort it out.

·
Super Moderator
15,723 Posts
Good man

Cass

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Looks like I've just joined the failed steering rack gang. Had a whining noise when turning steering that sounded like it was coming from the steering column. Went in to main dealer today and they say it needs a new rack. Need to book it in another time though as it's a big job and only certain technicians allowed to do it. They are putting through the Warranty Direct claim tomorrow so we'll see what they say. My car is a March 2007 3.0 v6 tdi with about 57k on the clock. What were the other cars?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts