Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gurus,

I have recently purchased a 2004 2.5 tdi and am havinbg problems with staring the car when its gets cold around 9 degrees. The previous owner must have got tired with trying to fix it since i've found out that he's had the glow plugs and temp sensor replaced, and also had some time with a main dealer with no luck.. Sometimes it starts with no prbs whats so ever other times it takes 10-20 secs. I have vag-com but cannot find any error codes either.

Is there are list of things I should be tackling or is it just a stab in the dark to start replacing fuel pump, injector o seals etc..

Thanks for your help

Nimish

·
Superman
2,258 Posts
is your battery running at 14 volts or higher when the car's running or 12ish when not.....? Cos does the Treg's prone to acting up without enough juice.

·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the car runs at around the 14v marker, although when starting the voltage drops to 10v sometimes, but after a few seconds the car reverts back to 14v

·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One other thing is that the economy is around 24mpg shouldn't it be higher? OR could this be a related thing

Thanks once again

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
It might be the battery. I have a 53 reg 2.5 tdi. I noticed that when it was really cold < 2oC I had problems starting despite waiting for the glow plug light to go off, and waiting for the voltmeter to register 12v. The dealers checked it under load, and cleared the battery, but they were checking when the engine was warmed. I changed the battery anyway and now have no problems starting at all. The lifespan of the battery is only 5 years anyway (so my friendly independent vw mechanic told me).
Word of caution, make absolutely sure that it is the battery causing the problem. It can be quite pricey to have it replaced.

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
But if you change your battery, do get a decent quality one!

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
noobytoogy said:
But if you change your battery, do get a decent quality one!
A vw badged varta battery or an original varta battery.

·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
are there 2 batteries in my car, or is it just the one where the spare wheel would go.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Normally just 1 under the passenger seat. If you have a V10 or if you have a vw multimedia entertainment system there is an additional one.

·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i have 2 batteries since i have the dvd system i guess, so should i be replacing the one in the back or the one under the seat, or is it a case of replacing both. Today the problem was getting worse and it really wasnt that cold, so in your experience am i tackling the right thing. Also when using vag-com i got the load intervention error, but reading into that error indicates a battery related warning but not an error and i corecct in this assumption.

Thanks for all your help on this. I didnt think that this problem was going to bug me for for long and so much money...

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
If I were you I'd replace bothat the same time regardless. Job done.

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
I had a start up problem with my 2.5

Let me ask a question

Does your car turn over then just die? Or is it that it just keeps turning over without firing up?

If it turns over then immediately dies, it could be you keyfob not being recognised by the immobiliser. Been using my spare key for 3 weeks now and I've not had a single start up problem

A tip from my VW independent garage. Seems to be working now

·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for that, but the cars just cranks but does not fire. I've just had the battery under the seat replaced today, hopefully that will cure the problem. bit stuffed on the money front so cant just afford to spend money on the car for both batteries, unless of course it has to be done. Also today scanned with vag-com and got engine speed sonsor and that implausible load error again, any thoughts am i going in the wrong direction

Thanks for this help

·
46 Posts
Hi guys, just thought I would chuck my 2pence worth in but it may help.

We also had intermittent starting problems with our 2005 model 2.5 tdi touareg after playing with may things and spending out on diagnostics the problem has been completely solved now buy inserting a new alternator motor and battery to the car.
We have not had the problem once since.
The car used to turn over but not fire up.
Hope this helps someone.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
The fact that the engine cranks over ok (assuming it does so at a reasonable rate) suggests that it is not likely that it is the battery.
It is very simple to connect another battery (or car) to the treg using decent jump leads onto the connectors in the engine bay, without disturbing the existing battery (or two). There are both =ve and -ve connectors near the bulkhead on nearside.
If you did this before switching on and attempting a cold start it would show up whether the battery is not up to the task with a falling cranking voltage, before you splash out on a new battery.

·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did try to jump start with another car and it did not help. I thought that maybe because i was using a car with a smaller battery, maybe the crank power avaliable was not enough, so i didn't come to a definate conclusion. I have replaced mistakenly the battery under the seat with a new one, and as i understand if the main battery does not have enough power then it uses the 2nd battery for the extra power required. Not sure how true this is but thats what i read somewhere. Also spoke to a local vw technician and he tells me that it could be the injector o rings and that fuel could be leaking and thats why i have a problem. But this is another ?500 fix and may not be the answer so am not going for that yet unless someone can guarantee that this would be the fix

It runs perfectly apart from this and ita really getting fustrating. Thanks for all your comments so far it really is helping

Nimish

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
nimishashar said:
I did try to jump start with another car and it did not help. I thought that maybe because i was using a car with a smaller battery, maybe the crank power avaliable was not enough, so i didn't come to a definate conclusion. I have replaced mistakenly the battery under the seat with a new one, and as i understand if the main battery does not have enough power then it uses the 2nd battery for the extra power required. Not sure how true this is but thats what i read somewhere. Also spoke to a local vw technician and he tells me that it could be the injector o rings and that fuel could be leaking and thats why i have a problem. But this is another ?500 fix and may not be the answer so am not going for that yet unless someone can guarantee that this would be the fix

It runs perfectly apart from this and ita really getting fustrating. Thanks for all your comments so far it really is helping

Nimish
?500 for a posssible fix
. I think you need to find youself a good independent vw mechanic. It's curious that the previous owner had starting problems as well despite spending time at the dealer. Depending how matey you are with the garage it would be possible to find the car's service history, and maybe get vw customer services to help, since it appears to be an ongoing problem. By the way, how much were you charged for the new battery
:

·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Paid ?120 for the battery, but am now in process of returning it since it has not done anything to improve the starting issue. Also got both batteries checked by kwkik-fit and halfords and both claim that the batteries in the car are perfect. So now I have replaced the following items:

glow plugs
cooling temp sensor
batteries (both)
keyfob batteries

Havent done the injector o rings. Should this be my next step?

Regards

Nimish

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm guessing, but could it be that Webasto diesel preheater gizmo that puffs out the ocassional bit of smoke, I noticed that working overtime on my car in cooler weather? :|

1 - 19 of 19 Posts