Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed on my drive home yesterday a squeaking sound from the passenger front side of the car. It was only really noticable at low speeds but I can make it happen while stationary as well by turning the steering from side to side. I tried pushing down on it to try to find exactly where it is coming from but with the soft front wings it is actually quite hard without damaging it.

I have the standard suspension in a 2007 facelift 2.5. Anyone come across this and know what it might be.

Thanks in advance.

·
Elite Member
1,921 Posts
I noticed on my drive home yesterday a squeaking sound from the passenger front side of the car. It was only really noticable at low speeds but I can make it happen while stationary as well by turning the steering from side to side. I tried pushing down on it to try to find exactly where it is coming from but with the soft front wings it is actually quite hard without damaging it.

I have the standard suspension in a 2007 facelift 2.5. Anyone come across this and know what it might be.

Thanks in advance.
Tyrrp
I had a similar but not identical problem on my 07 V6 TDi. There was a high freq vibration from the steering as you changed from lock to lock (not on full lock but as you changed direction or rocked the steering. This was very noticable in the passenger footwell. VW changed the rack under warranty and it solved it. It seemed to be a known problem

Might not be the same thing but there are some similarities

Regards.

·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tyrrp
I had a similar but not identical problem on my 07 V6 TDi. There was a high freq vibration from the steering as you changed from lock to lock (not on full lock but as you changed direction or rocked the steering. This was very noticable in the passenger footwell. VW changed the rack under warranty and it solved it. It seemed to be a known problem

Might not be the same thing but there are some similarities

Regards.
Thanks,
There doesn't seem to be any vibration in mine at the moment. However I have noticed that it seems to come and go. I also managed to push down a little on it last night and it only made a slight squeak. I'll have to spend more time over the weekend.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had a similar problem on my '06 2.5 and dealer changed one of the suspension bushes under warranty. They said "was a dry bush", even though it had only done 40k miles or so, and that it was perfectly safe to drive. Now the car is just out of warranty the noise is back, so presumably the other side that they didn't change.

·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this is realy starting to bug me now. It never happens on my way into work only on my way home. It starts around the same distance from home always and I can hear it when I move slowly or turn the stearing left and right at a standstill. As usual however it will not make the sound anytime I am outside the car and someone turning the wheel for me. If won't happen for me in my driveway at all.

Typical.

·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just a quick update. The sound has seemed to be temperature related so it has been happening constantly over the last couple of days with the warmer weather. Managed to listen to it from the outside last night and it sounded like the bushings. Sprayed with silicone but was still there this morning. Had someone look and he confirmed it is a dry bushing. Not to get it replaced.

Unfortunatly we get screwed over here in Ireland and only get a 2 year warrantee from VW so even though the car is less then 3 years old repairs are out of my pocket.

·
104 Posts
Got a quote from a local guy to replace the bushing so the creak/squeek will be gone.

Apparently it is not possible to replace the bushing only as it is the ball joint so you have to replace the whole wishbone. The dry bushing is the one at the tip of hte wishbone.

VW want €350 for the parts.

Does this sound right. I can't see any reason why a bushing couldn't be replaced without the whole wishbone.

Anyone have any information on this or know if I can buy the bushing only in the UK perhaps.

Thanks.

Edit:- Just got a call from the garage. They have sourced the part in the UK and including the install it will now be €229 total down from €430. So the part in the UK is €200 less then here and that includes the deliver costs.

I thought there was a recession on and us Irish could forget about the old days of being ripped off.

·
27 Posts
Did this fix the problem?
My 07 is now so bad i take the van rather that listen to the Squeek!!!
out of warranty so up to me to get it fixed
Marty D

·
Chairman
19,971 Posts
I think the recommendation is that both lower wishbones should be done at the same time.

Warranty Direct paid for mine.

Certainly the car drove much better - the steering was far more direct - when the job had been done.

·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did this fix the problem?
My 07 is now so bad i take the van rather that listen to the Squeek!!!
out of warranty so up to me to get it fixed
Marty D
Yea. We replaced the upper wishbone on the passenger side and the squeek went away. However it is now starting on the drivers side. There is no loosness in the steering at all though and there wasn't last time either. It is just the squeek that drives me mad.

·
372 Posts
Yea. We replaced the upper wishbone on the passenger side and the squeek went away. However it is now starting on the drivers side. There is no loosness in the steering at all though and there wasn't last time either. It is just the squeek that drives me mad.
On Audi A4's, A6's and Volkwagen Passats, they all have the same multi link front suspension set up. If I remember correctly there are about 10 links per side and if the bushes start to wear you replace the whole component and not just the bush. Having owned an A4 and an A6 I quickly discovered that you could buy a kit to replace the whole lot, both sides for considerably less than the individual links would have cost in total. A bonus of doing this was it took the guess work out of which link was actually causing the problem in the first place. In the A4 and A6 I knew the links were in need of replacement when a knocking sound was present whilst driving along even a smooth road.

It sounds quite correct to me that you had to replace the whole component and not just the bush. I would have recommended doing both sides at the same time though if I had spotted this thread sooner.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts