Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What actually alters when you put the car in sports mode Yes It goes a bit quicker . Apart from it staying in the " gear" longer does it affect how the turbo runs or anything else.
I very rarely use sports mode. But I am interested in its function.

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
36 Posts
What actually alters when you put the car in sports mode Yes It goes a bit quicker . Apart from it staying in the " gear" longer does it affect how the turbo runs or anything else.
Pretty much only changes upshift and downshift points of the transmission. How your turbo reacts to that is ancillary.
It will also decrease your gas mileage.

Reactions: Ed Taylor

·
Registered
123 Posts
Also changes steering response, and makes my wife moan as her sedate ride gets less so!

·
Registered
T1 2.5 SE, Sport
609 Posts
Original T1 only offers longer gear holds for more spirited driving. Something that's fundamentally difficult in an R5 ☺

·
Registered
123 Posts
It might change steering response in the CR, but not in the 7p, so far as I'm aware....
Sorry Davey, you’ve lost me. Not up to date on model codes etc. mine just tightens up steering making it more responsive. Can’t say the car suits sport, I’m 99% of the time in normal mode. Perfectly responsive for anything I do/ need

·
Registered
243 Posts
For clarity (from page 405 of the 7p manual) -

"All forward gears automatically upshift later and downshift earlier than in the Drive position, to take full advantage of the engine's power reserves. The transmission shifts as needed depending on engine load, individual driving style, and driving speed."

There is no disernable change to the steering IMHO, neither is any change suggested in the manual.

No idea about what Sport Mode does in the newer (CR) model I'm afraid.

Hope this helps / clarifies.

Cheers

·
Chairman
20,402 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Touareg R line V8 Diesel
77 Posts
I still wish you loyal crown subjects would not use very UK specific terms for a a world wide car so us illiterate colonials could understand what your talking about

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi Henry

what in the real world of Tregs is a "70 plate SEL Tech" - i.e. model version, year of build, engine type
Hi Henry

what in the real world of Tregs is a "70 plate SEL Tech" - i.e. model version, year of build, engine type
Hi Henry

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sorry, forgot we were global 🤦🏻‍♂️ It’s a T5 2020, 3 litre V6 231 bhp and black! Model Sel tech , and incidentally the best car I’ve ever owned and it’s a keeper

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not that i have noticed much change other than the revised transmission profiles between Normal and Sports.. however I have noticed much better engine braking under Cruise control in 'S' mode, however that may be a side effect of the changepoints being revised.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts