Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
What a huge difference in performance, it was never that bad to be honest but poke the loud pedal & it is like its engaged sport mode, add sport mode into the mix & it flies, amazing how things sneak up on you over time.

Here's some pics

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

Attachments

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
What a huge difference in performance, it was never that bad to be honest but poke the loud pedal & it is like its engaged sport mode, add sport mode into the mix & it flies, amazing how things sneak up on you over time.

Here's some pics

View attachment 34854
Very similar to mine. In the 10 months of my ownership I had not noticed a drop in performance which was still pretty good. Your engine inlet ports look clean enough which makes me think that the majority of the gunk collects on the inlet swirl flap & air guide pipe. I am thinking of adding an oil catch can but then if it takes 60k before needing a further clean may not bother!!

Thanks for posting.

E.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I dont really see what an oil catch can is going to do to help with this, most of it is from EGR.

·
Registered
200 Posts

Here's some pics

View attachment 34854
Can't wait to see what mine looks like - will be having a pop tomorrow if the rain holds off....

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
It removes the oil mist which results in less to clog up the inlets.
There really shouldnt be much by way of 'oil mist' in that area but if there is you'll be treating the symptoms rather than the cause.

Good luck, look forward to seeing how it goes.

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
According to the chap who did mine, there is an engine breather pipe somewhere in the mass of emissions plumbing which exits into the intake menagerie which is why it turns the "dry" soot from the recirculated exhaust fumes into the tar like nastiness, which of course then bakes on hard.

Doing some googling, the oil catch can idea should prevent these oil vapours coming into contact with the afore mentioned soot

I think

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
According to the chap who did mine, there is an engine breather pipe somewhere in the mass of emissions plumbing which exits into the intake menagerie which is why it turns the "dry" soot from the recirculated exhaust fumes into the tar like nastiness, which of course then bakes on hard.

Doing some googling, the oil catch can idea should prevent these oil vapours coming into contact with the afore mentioned soot

I think
There shouldnt be that much oil mist anyway, assuming that there is, I dont see how a catch tank is going to do any good with volume of air going through the manifolds.

Then again, the fact that I dont see how it can work to any significant degree doesnt mean it wont work LOL

·
Registered
270 Posts
There really shouldnt be much by way of 'oil mist' in that area but if there is you'll be treating the symptoms rather than the cause.

Good luck, look forward to seeing how it goes.
All engines have a bit of piston blow by even brand new ones. Soot from the EGR mixes with oil mist from the PCV which is what I cleaned from the inlet!! A catch can would remove the oil. I doubt I will own my Touareg in another 60k though.
E.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
All engines have a bit of piston blow by even brand new ones. Soot from the EGR mixes with oil mist from the PCV which is what I cleaned from the inlet!! A catch can would remove the oil. I doubt I will own my Touareg in another 60k though.
E.
My son and I have run some fairly high boost (3 bar) on engines and have used catch cans but I really cant see this resolving this issue.

Watching with interest though

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
I doubt I will be going down the catch can route with my car, but now I am aware of how the intake set up is on my car, I will be more informed in case of future rough idling issues & what is causing it.

And I guess more widely, through the experiences of a few of us on here & sharing the fix for others to see it will hopefully save others being lead down expensive diagnostic work by ill informed dealers & garages. Every day is a school day

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
And I guess more widely, through the experiences of a few of us on here & sharing the fix for others to see it will hopefully save others being lead down expensive diagnostic work by ill informed dealers & garages. Every day is a school day
Absolutely, its almost routine maintenance every 60,000 miles. Not dissimilar to decoking engines back in the 60's lol except this time the coke is external to the inner parts of the engine.

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
Very useful post - thanks. I thought I would have a look at the manifold on my 60k Treg today.

I removed the electrical plug; removed the four allen bolts holding the plastic tube onto the metal body; removed the two torx screws by the dipstick tube and the metal clamp holding the chain mail covered tube on.

Pulled the chain mail tube away; removed the jubilee clip on the rubber hose and pulled the rubber hose away.

But I could not remove the plastic tube. I gave it some very robust wiggling - up down side to side and twisting (whole car was rocking), and some gentle thumping with a fist. I managed to create a 1mm gap at the top (only) between the plastic tube and the metal housing into which I got the tips of a pair of flat blade screwdrivers. Tried prising but did not want to give it too much welly in case the plastic cracked. It just would not budge.

Should it just come away easily?. Have I missed a bolt or clip?

Although the car is running nice and smoothly, I'm wondering if the tube may be completely caked up and the crud is holding it in place.

·
Registered
270 Posts
There is a third torx screw sort of hidden under the right side back which is awkward to get at.Did you remove that one? The soot & crud if present isn't strong to that extent. At 60k my money is on soot being present & a clean up will be beneficial!!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·

·
Registered
60 Posts
Very useful post - thanks. I thought I would have a look at the manifold on my 60k Treg today.

I removed the electrical plug; removed the four allen bolts holding the plastic tube onto the metal body; removed the two torx screws by the dipstick tube and the metal clamp holding the chain mail covered tube on.

Pulled the chain mail tube away; removed the jubilee clip on the rubber hose and pulled the rubber hose away.

But I could not remove the plastic tube. I gave it some very robust wiggling - up down side to side and twisting (whole car was rocking), and some gentle thumping with a fist. I managed to create a 1mm gap at the top (only) between the plastic tube and the metal housing into which I got the tips of a pair of flat blade screwdrivers. Tried prising but did not want to give it too much welly in case the plastic cracked. It just would not budge.

Should it just come away easily?. Have I missed a bolt or clip?

Although the car is running nice and smoothly, I'm wondering if the tube may be completely caked up and the crud is holding it in place.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts