Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
I felt the edge had gone off my Touaregs performance (2014 58k) a little. Running well, passed MOT, no fault codes. A slight lumpy tickover when cold but went away when warm. I had a look inside the inlet manifold air intake just in case. Glad I did. Cleaned it out. Cost a can of brake cleaner and a couple of hours of work. Now driving like it is in Sport!

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,036 Posts
Wow - that looks well choked up in there

What sort of driving do you do in the car and what fuel do you use

·
Mechanical Guru
3,020 Posts
How does soot get into the inlet manifold? I can only think that the turbo seals are leaking and the oil is carbonising in the manifold.
EGR enters immediately before the manifold flap pictured.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I felt the edge had gone off my Touaregs performance (2014 58k) a little. Running well passed MOT no fault codes. A slight lumpy tickover when cold but went away when warm. I had a look inside the inlet manifold air intake just in case. Glad I did. Cleaned it out. Cost a can of brake cleaner and a couple of hours of work. Now driving like it is in Sport!

View attachment 34842
Check EGR valve is working correctly. Relative, who owns a garage, was telling me yesterday he's just had a vehicle in that had an inlet manifold completely clogged with soot and running very rough. He found the EGR was faulty and staying fully open all the time which caused it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I need to do this, is it easy to access? I have resd that it's a common thing with high-milers apparently - can I ask if the soot is just that and can be loosened and vac'd out easily or is it baked on rock hard....

Also could you cause dire problems if some of the debris falls further down the inlet......any tips or more pics woud be welcome
ta

·
Mechanical Guru
3,020 Posts
Yes common and normal to find this on any engine with the dreaded EGR, so regardless of faulty valve, journey type or fuel.
It can be a rather sticky messy cleaning job as it's formed by a mix of EGR exhaust carbon and oil mist from the crankcase ventilation.
Removing the manifold flap unit to clean is the best way to avoid additional crud getting further into the manifolds. You'll also get a better look at how dirty the manifolds are whether to remove them for cleaning too.
At least it's a lot easier to clean these later engines rather than the previous manifold flaps that were in each inlet port.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I need to do this, is it easy to access? I have resd that it's a common thing with high-milers apparently - can I ask if the soot is just that and can be loosened and vac'd out easily or is it baked on rock hard....

Also could you cause dire problems if some of the debris falls further down the inlet......any tips or more pics woud be welcome
ta
It is a mixture of soot some dry & vacuumable & some mixed with oil similar to tar!!. Lots of rag & brake cleaner & scrape it off.
I doubt it would harm the engine if ingested??

Easy enough to remove rubber hose jubilee clip on the air inlet throttle valve at the right side of the engine then remove the air guide pipe 4 allen screws & a couple of torx screws holding the plastic intake. I suspect the complete inlet manifold may be dirty to. I may purchase a spare and swap over. page 298 in the Engine manual. Apols didnt take more pictures.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow - that looks well choked up in there

What sort of driving do you do in the car and what fuel do you use
I drive a mix of long & short runs. Fuel is a mix to. Some supermarket fuel mostly normal brand & every so often premium. I have only done 8k so no idea what the previous owner did.

·
Registered
200 Posts
It is a mixture of soot some dry & vacuumable & some mixed with oil similar to tar!!. Lots of rag & brake cleaner & scrape it off.
I doubt it would harm the engine if ingested??

Easy enough to remove rubber hose jubilee clip on the air inlet throttle valve at the right side of the engine then remove the air guide pipe 4 allen screws & a couple of torx screws holding the plastic intake. I suspect the complete inlet manifold may be dirty to. I may purchase a spare and swap over. page 298 in the Engine manual. Apols didnt take more pictures.
Thanks - will have a go this weekend if the rain stops.....it's running ok but a bit rough on cold idle - was looking at EGR deletion to avoid this but seems bit extreme

Hoping it won;t be too bad as although 107k up most of my journeys have been 40 mile plus daily commute round trip - so far more than short runs to the shop

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
My 2014 at 68k is going to a local VAG Indy on Tuesday for the same thing, no fault codes but rough idle when temp gauge is cold but engine got a little residual heat, fuel consumption down a bit too.

Local Indy tried to put a camera in the intake last week & couldn't get it in, chemical flush followed by disassemble of all pipework & thorough clean

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks - will have a go this weekend if the rain stops.....it's running ok but a bit rough on cold idle - was looking at EGR deletion to avoid this but seems bit extreme

Hoping it won;t be too bad as although 107k up most of my journeys have been 40 mile plus daily commute round trip - so far more than short runs to the shop
Post a few pics!!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My 2014 at 68k is going to a local VAG Indy on Tuesday for the same thing, no fault codes but rough idle when temp gauge is cold but engine got a little residual heat, fuel consumption down a bit too.

Local Indy tried to put a camera in the intake last week & couldn't get it in, chemical flush followed by disassemble of all pipework & thorough clean
I have been out in the Touareg today. The difference in performance is massive. The acceleration is phenomenal. It feels like the power has doubled.
Any Toureg owner with 50k or more should take a look inside. Mine had no fault code, no running issue.
My only suspicion was an occasional lumpy cold start tick over but nothing at all once warm.

From what I understand all TDi engines can suffer this and imho an inspection & clean should be routine maintenance.

E.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Post a few pics!!
ok - not got round to it this weekend as big fuelling problems with my Mk2 Scirocco (rust flakes in tank and managed to smash the fuel sender unit gaining access to inspect - was 35 years brittle!) BUT did a recce on the Treg to orientate myself. Looks straightforward as you say - is the "air guide pipe" the one shrouded in what looks like a chain mail sleeve underneath the main inlet?

Thanks

·
Registered
270 Posts
ok - not got round to it this weekend as big fuelling problems with my Mk2 Scirocco (rust flakes in tank and managed to smash the fuel sender unit gaining access to inspect - was 35 years brittle!) BUT did a recce on the Treg to orientate myself. Looks straightforward as you say - is the "air guide pipe" the one shrouded in what looks like a chain mail sleeve underneath the main inlet?

Thanks
The metal pipe in chain mail is the exhaust egr valve outlet. Leave this in position just loosen or remove the clamp to the air guide pipe which is the long plastic oval pipe which the rubber hose on the end. This thread may help.
https://www.clubtoua...logging.271466/
part 7 is the swirl flap inlet where the soot collects.20 is the air guide pipe. The engine manual is available to download which may help.
E.

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
The metal pipe in chain mail is the exhaust egr valve outlet. Leave this in position just loosen or remove the clamp to the air guide pipe which is the long plastic oval pipe which the rubber hose on the end. This thread may help.
https://www.clubtoua...logging.271466/
part 7 is the swirl flap inlet where the soot collects.20 is the air guide pipe.
E.
Perfect - see how I get on - many thanks sir!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Checked mine today; not so bad. Cleaned it up and put it back together. (2014 245 R-Line 60k miles).

The cabin temperature indication set itself to 8.5C. Took it out for a run and it sorted itself out. No discernable change in performance.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Just heard from the Indy garage, mine is the worst they have ever seen, its only letting approx. 35% of the air in that it should. They have taken photo's for me.

Wont get the car back till Thursday as they are having to soak some parts overnight & the workshop is booked out tomorrow. There is one section that's comes in several pieces but its stuck solid, hence the overnight soaking in whatever the fluid solution is.

I suspect this could have been caused by the previous owner doing lots of town driving / sitting in traffic, only had 22k on it when I bought it a three years old but I had to have new discs at 35-40k, suspect a lot of stop start commuting type use.

Will post the photo's when I have them

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just heard from the Indy garage, mine is the worst they have ever seen, its only letting approx. 35% of the air in that it should. They have taken photo's for me.

Wont get the car back till Thursday as they are having to soak some parts overnight & the workshop is booked out tomorrow. There is one section that's comes in several pieces but its stuck solid, hence the overnight soaking in whatever the fluid solution is.

I suspect this could have been caused by the previous owner doing lots of town driving / sitting in traffic, only had 22k on it when I bought it a three years old but I had to have new discs at 35-40k, suspect a lot of stop start commuting type use.

Will post the photo's when I have them
Sounds similar to mine. I expect you will also notice a big increase in performance.

E.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts