Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again to you all.

To follow on from my previous topic regarding the transmission problem that I had with my V10, it might interest you to know that I have just had a new valve chest fitted by VW to cure the erratic down change my gearbox was suffering from.

My car is four years old, 56k miles, full history etc. When I took the car in for diagnostics it appeared obvious that chief technician knew exactly what the problem was (by plenty of previous experience it turns out). The new cluster was recommended at a price of ?1,200 for the part and basically half this for labour, plus VAT.

To cut a long story short, VW done the job for ?900 plus VAT.

If any of you are affected by dodgey shifting within your auto box then let me tell you that this is the start of future solenoid valve problems and you will need a new chest/cluster, but, when this does happen use whatever weaponary you can muster up to confront VW. They will listen and act accordingly.

My car is now the best it's ever been. Smooth, quiet and much quicker changes. Oh, and I should point out too that changing the ATF more frequently than recommended is a good idea. The technician said that the oil in my gearbox was in quite a poor state!

Goodnight all.

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
I got a contribution from VW for mine when they did it - I ended up paying ?480 with VW making the difference

Took a fair bit of 'discussion' with VW UK about it being a known manufacturing issue, but i guess you can't grumble if the warranty has expired

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
I thought these boxes were sealed for life so how do they change the fluid?

G

·
Spoke to Colbornes Hersham recently and the Service Manager recommended the gearbox oil should be changed every 4 years :shock:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts