Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the weather becoming more inclement and frequent rain, I noticed a musty smell in my Treg and lots of condensation on the inside of the windows. A deeper dive found that the drives carpet was sodden. I looked inside the cover for the chassis number and it was wet also. Found the plugs under the sills and a bucket full of water made its escape.

Checked the passenger side and nothing there so all ok.

However, I can't get this carpet dried out. Have checked the panoramic sunroof, run some air down the drains and they appear to be working. Plenum drains and scuttle all seem ok with water freely running.

We've had no rain for 4 days now and despite plenty of heat and it covered in silica cat litter (I know) it doesn't feel much better.

Appreciate any thoughts out there.

2016 V6-R Line +

·
Registered
146 Posts
With the weather becoming more inclement and frequent rain, I noticed a musty smell in my Treg and lots of condensation on the inside of the windows. A deeper dive found that the drives carpet was sodden. I looked inside the cover for the chassis number and it was wet also. Found the plugs under the sills and a bucket full of water made its escape.

Checked the passenger side and nothing there so all ok.

However, I can't get this carpet dried out. Have checked the panoramic sunroof, run some air down the drains and they appear to be working. Plenum drains and scuttle all seem ok with water freely running.

We've had no rain for 4 days now and despite plenty of heat and it covered in silica cat litter (I know) it doesn't feel much better.

Appreciate any thoughts out there.

2016 V6-R Line +
to dry the carpets, i would suggest a vax carpet cleaner would make light work of sucking the water out. or a wet/dry vac from screwfix.

there are others on here who will no doubt be able to offer some useful advice about diagnosing/rectifying the problem, but there are plenty of vids on YT from peeps who have diagnosed and sorted things...

hope you get it sorted!

·
Registered
T1 2.5 SE, Sport
544 Posts
If you're at the hire shop for a wet vac, hire a dehumidifier to suck out the residual moisture.

·
Super Moderator
15,928 Posts
You’ll need to double check the Pano door drains as that is the likely suspect - they can become detached at the top where they attach to the roof drain plugs. You ideally need to lift the carpets to dry it them out as there are sensitive electrics there. It may take days to dry out carpets in situ and water could still be hiding on the floor and in the sound deadening insulation 🤔

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback all

Its been into the dealer today who confirm's its not the sunroof with a drain holes clean. They've also stripped back the trim on the A-pillar and say its all dry. Carpets are sodden and they want 2 more hours @£136 ph to investigate. Called VW UK requesting they authorise who were useless simply advising that the 2 year extended warranty doesn't cover bodywork, glass or seals!

Told the dealer to put it back together. Unfortunately, think my Treg ownership is about to come to an end.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My two cents would be - pay em for the couple of hrs before getting rid.

Unless you downgrade, its prob gonna cost you more that £250, so, if you like the Treg, pay em.

Maybe you can get some goodwill or maybe someone on here can offer you more advice.

Hope you get it worked out.

·
Registered
309 Posts

Its been into the dealer today who confirm's its not the sunroof with a drain holes clean. They've also stripped back the trim on the A-pillar and say its all dry. Carpets are sodden and they want 2 more hours @£136 ph to investigate. Called VW UK requesting they authorise who were useless simply advising that the 2 year extended warranty doesn't cover bodywork, glass or seals!

Told the dealer to put it back together. Unfortunately, think my Treg ownership is about to come to an end.
I've got exactly the same problem with passenger footwell and also found fusebox full of damp triggering some spurious warnings. Garage found problem with sunroof cassette with water coming through the cassette material somehow as they can't find any holes or cracks in it but can see the dripping from it. That water is running down the outside of the connected drain hose, having run there from the underside of the cassette, then dripping off through the fusebox and separately down the inside of the A pillar trim and under the carpet.

My (very expensive) warranty also doesn't cover sunroofs, glass or seals so I'm having to cough up for a new cassette to be fitted. Very pee'd off at the moment and looking at a big bill even though it's a relatives garage and I get very good mates rates from him.

Drying out is a nightmare as well as the 'correct' way of doing it involves removing virtually the whole interior, including centre console, to get the carpets out. That's hours of work in itself to strip and refit with the associated costs. Going to try the wet/dry vac and de-humidifier route first and only pay for it to be done if that doesn't work

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply

Sounds like an inherent problem to me. I assume you tried the warranty route?

And I assume the headliner had to come out for them to see it dripping?

Been to pick it up tonight and they did say it could still be a warranty job but they’d need it for a few days to pull the carpets and test it.

I’ve come back home tonight and removed about half a pint of water from the drenched carpet with my Karcher Window cleaner!

Hugely disappointed after parting with £25k for it in April 20 with a 2 year warranty.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Thanks for the reply

Sounds like an inherent problem to me. I assume you tried the warranty route?

And I assume the headliner had to come out for them to see it dripping?

Been to pick it up tonight and they did say it could still be a warranty job but they’d need it for a few days to pull the carpets and test it.

I’ve come back home tonight and removed about half a pint of water from the drenched carpet with my Karcher Window cleaner!

Hugely disappointed after parting with £25k for it in April 20 with a 2 year warranty.
Did try the warranty route but no go. They didn’t remove the headlining to check just pulled down the edges which gave sufficient access.
I paid for an aftermarket warranty with warranty direct. It does cover almost everything but not the problem I’ve got. My relative with the garage tells me he’s never come across a warranty that covers sunroofs in all the years he’s owned his garage.

·
Registered
82 Posts

My money is on the sunroof. Had identical problem with a new Tiguan a few years back. They said the sunroof cassette had broken.they fixed it, but I rejected car as was one of a number of faults the car had.I now don’t buy anything with a sunroof, and spec up a more basic model to avoid them. Wish you all the best in getting it fixed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My money is on the sunroof. Had identical problem with a new Tiguan a few years back. They said the sunroof cassette had broken.they fixed it, but I rejected car as was one of a number of faults the car had.I now don’t buy anything with a sunroof, and spec up a more basic model to avoid them. Wish you all the best in getting it fixed.
Thanks for the reply. Currently drying it out. A couple of hours with towels and a wet/dry vac and now a large dehumidifier.

A pal has suggested trying a couple of things including stripping out some trim in the rear as I found some water in the rear wheel well. He thinks is may be running down the D pillar if one of the sunroof drain pipes has popped off. Worth a look at least.

Agree with you about buying cars with sunroof's.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts