Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this excellent link about why we should consider running different tyres in the winter to those in the summer.

I'm about to put a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks or Vredestein Quatrac 3s [event-tyres.co.uk] on a new Suzuki Swift that is more likely to encounter ice and snow than the rest of our cars due to the ungritted lanes in the Chilterns that the user encounters, returning the car to its normal road tyres late April/early May.

http://www.tyres-online.co.uk/techinfo/winter.asp

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi all,

Does anyone know if General Grabber AT2s qualify as snow tyres. I am thinking about a ski trip to the Dolomites

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
General Grabber recommend their HTS tyre as their snow and ice tyre.
AT's are for general off road use,rock,gravel, light mud ,scree etc.
There is a provision to put studs in AT's.

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
Further to my last post,I was looking on a Landcruiser forum and there were pics of a guy out in very deep snow in the Highlands ,his car was on AT's.

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
3,680 Posts
Ok maybe not a Touareg but I have toyo snow proxes on my Mini and over the past three weeks the car has taken me everywhere with no problems at last a winter where it has been worthwhile having a set of winter alloys and tyres. I've actually tried to get my Mini stuck but nope it's not let me down obviously my excellent driving skill has a lot to do with it.

·
3,680 Posts
JonnyR said:
Hi all,

Does anyone know if General Grabber AT2s qualify as snow tyres. I am thinking about a ski trip to the Dolomites
I had General Grabber AT fitted to my Treg and they were great in the Snow. Highlands of Scotland

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Excellent choice. With these tyres, the Mini will chew its way through most things as will most cars [FWD / RWD / 4WD] with chunky tyres [regardless of the driver's ability!!!]

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Scottie said:
I had General Grabber AT fitted to my Treg and they were great in the Snow. Highlands of Scotland
Sorry: I should have been more clear.

The AT2s are Mud and Snow marked [M+S] so qualify but they are not true snow and ice.

If I were buying a set speciifcally to go skiing or for winter use in the Highlands for example, I'd go with Snow and Ice for the extra grip these offer on ice.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
noobytoogy said:
With these tyres, the Mini will chew its way through most things as will most cars [FWD / RWD / 4WD] with chunky tyres [regardless of the driver's ability!!!]
yeah Fi - clearly your driving is not that good

·
Registered
20 Posts
JonnyR said:
Hi all,

Thanks everyone - what I was really getting at was can I drive these tyres in places like the French alps without having to take a set of snow chains and nt getting into trouble with the Gendarmes? Only go once a year and don't want to spend upwards of £100 on a set of chains if I can avoid it. Given they are M + S rated I would have thought they should be OK?

cheers, Jon.

·
47 Posts
Your AT2's are, I believe, studdable. In which case you could give these guys a ring: www.supatracks.com/best-grip-screw-in-ice-studs.html, they supply proper stud kits. (I fancy a set on my KTM 'crosser....!!)

I used to have a Polo when I lived in Sweden, that used to wear studded tyres from November through to February, they were fantastic, a bit noisy, but I never had any trouble with losing studs or anything and they were perfectly ok even when there was no snow.

Supermoto

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes they are M+S rated but you may still need chains if that is the local requirement.

I am wondering why, for the sake of £100 which is peanuts compared to the overall cost of the trip, would you take the risk on the car and your passengers if the conditions require chains even if the law doesn't? You can always flog them if you stop going ski-ing!

In the UK, it would seem that studded tyres are permitteded as long as the conditions are appropriate when they are being used, but if not then you can be prosecuted for damaging the road surface! So you'd need to have anothet set of wheels ready to swop on to.

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And don't forget http://www.camskill.co.uk/ [mail order and they find someone to fit for you and send your tyres there]

And www.event-tyres.co.uk who come to your home or business [check if your area is covered] and are well rated by others on here for both price and service.

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's a good video demonstrating the difference winter [snow and ice] tyres make and why you need 4, not 2!

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Courtesy of www.tyremen.co.uk

European Winter Tyre Laws

Austria
As from the 1st of January 2008, cars and light trucks up to a maximum weight of 3.5 tonnes must all be equipped with winter tyres on all wheels when driven under wintry road conditions. Under certain conditions, snow chains may be used on the drive wheels (in combination with summer tyres) as an alternative.

Belgium / Netherlands / Luxemburg
Winter tyres are not mandatory, studs are forbidden. It is advisable to use winter tyres though as temperatures are often below freezing and snow is generally a certainty in hilly areas. Without winter tyres the breaking distances become longer and longer.

Czech Republic
Winter tyres are highly recommended in the Czech Republic, but not mandatory by law.

Denmark
The cold temperatures of Denmark make winter tyres recommended during the season. The Danes are not required to change tyres but a large proportion of motorists do.

Estonia
Winter tyres are compulsory between 1st December and February, although this date can vary depending on conditions. Studs are not permitted.

Finland
All vehicles must have winter tyres between 1st December and the end of February.

France
In France winter tyres are not mandatory, but are required when indicated by signs, this is often the case in the Alps. Snow chains are also obligatory for certain stretches. From November to March studs can be used but the vehicle must display a sticker stating that studs are fitted to the tyres.

Germany
Since May 2006 German motorists have been required by law to use the most appropriate tyres for the weather conditions. In practice this means most drivers keep two sets of tyres - 'winter tyres' for the colder months when many roads are snow-covered and 'summer' tyres for the remainder of the year. Summer tyres may not be used when there's ice or snow on the road. Alternatively, German motorists may use so-called 'all-season-tyres' and leave them on the car all year round.

Italy
Winter tyres are not a requirement but can be necessary on certain stretches as advised by signs. If you want to use studs you must observe a speed limit of 90 km/h out of town and 50km/h in town. There are no specific rules about snow chains.

Latvia
Winter tyres are mandatory from 1st December until the end of February.

Lithuania
Winter tyres are mandatory from 1st November until 1st April.

Norway
It is obligatory for Norwegian vehicles to have winter tyres, although this is not the case for foreign vehicles. All motorists are required to ensure that their vehicle is equipped to deal with the weather conditions, so essentially during winter months you need to have winter tyres to be safe.

Poland
Winter tyres are not a legal requirement however because there is minimal snow clearing on country roads driving without winter tyres is a major risk.

Slovenia
Winter tyres are a legal requirement between 15th November and 15th March, the minimum tread depth is 4mm. Slovenian law only stipulates that 2 winter tyres need to be fitted, however we always recommend to fit them in sets of 4.

Sweden
Winter tyres are compulsory for Swedish residents but not for foreigners. Because the necessity exists for Swedish nationals common sense would suggest that winter tyres are highly recommended.

Switzerland
Winter tyres are not mandatory in Switzerland, yet they can be stipulated by signs. Winter tyres are recommended as if you have an accident and are not using winter tyres and it is deemed that they should have been used then you can be held liable. Snow chains are optional but can be mandated by signs. Vehicles may be equipped with studs between November 1st and March 31st.

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Vredestein Snowtrac 3 was declared the best winter tyre out of 20 tested in the 2009 ADAC tests.

Other "highly recommended" tyres include:

Fulda Montero 3

Bridgestone Blizzak LM30

Continental Wintercontact TS800

Goodyear Ultragrip 7+

1 - 20 of 20 Posts