Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fairly annoyed with myself. I bounced off a high curb today and made a deep nick in the sidewall of my front nearside tyre. Amazingly no damage to the rim!

Only a small nick but it goes down to the cords so I'm going to have to replace it. There's also a slight bulge/kink so I don't really have any confidence in it any more.

Fronts are down to 5 or 5.5mm, rears are around 6mm.

I'm trying to think my way out of it but I guess I'm looking at at least replacing both fronts?

Looked at the option of having a new tyre shaved but no-one jumps out in my area. Daemon Tweaks do a postal service.

Also looked in the manual and it doesn't say anything about different tread depths on different or the same axel. It only mentions a recommendation of replacing tyres on the same axel at the same time. I know there's a conscious of 2mm difference on the same axel and 3mm between front and rear being acceptable but where does that information come from?

Ta

Automotive tire Tread Finger Wood Rim

·
Chairman
20,445 Posts
Long, long standing info that first came from a top Touareg technician and has proved itself over the years when people have tried to ignore it!

Buy 2 new front tyres EXACTLY the same as the rears - and keep the one good one in the back of the garage as a reserve.

Hen Murphy's Law will kick in and you'll never use it!

And make sure you don't pay 2 disposal charges.

·
Mechanical Guru
3,050 Posts
To keep the difference to a minimum I would fit a new one on the NSF with one of the 6 mm opposite and the other 6 with the 5.5 on the rear.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice.
Had the vernier on them this morning. They're all worn a half mm more in the centre.
Fronts ate 4.5 on the sides 4mm in the middle. Rears are 6mm on the sides and 5.5mm in the centre.

They would have done another year (or at least the summer) with a rotation. I average 10k a year. I've wanted to move to the Verdestein Quatrac Pro all seasons so I think I'm just going to take a hit and replace all 4.

·
Chairman
20,445 Posts
I had the same kind of problem 2 weeks ago on a pocket rocket AWD with tyres on similar measurements.

I'd hit a pothole and there was a very nasty sidewall bulge NSF.

I bin tyres at 4 mm anyway so although I might have just got away with one tyre, 4 new ones a couple of months sooner than expected was an easy decision.

Check your tracking and check for buckled wheel.

I had two which were very obvious as I watched the balancing but my tyre company also has a straightening service on site so an hour later all was trued and well.

·
Lifelong Motorhead
3,096 Posts
Thanks for the advice.
Had the vernier on them this morning. They're all worn a half mm more in the centre.
Fronts ate 4.5 on the sides 4mm in the middle. Rears are 6mm on the sides and 5.5mm in the centre.

They would have done another year (or at least the summer) with a rotation. I average 10k a year. I've wanted to move to the Verdestein Quatrac Pro all seasons so I think I'm just going to take a hit and replace all 4.
Both the OE Bridgestones and the replacement Vredesteins on my Touareg had more tread depth in the centre than the shoulders when new, which in an ideal world will be even depth across the tread when replaced - as yours are worn more in the centre, it does indicate that too high a pressure is used.

·
Chairman
20,445 Posts
I meant to add that based on the original measurements Chaser's post would have worked.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Both the OE Bridgestones and the replacement Vredesteins on my Touareg had more tread depth in the centre than the shoulders when new, which in an ideal world will be even depth across the tread when replaced - as yours are worn more in the centre, it does indicate that too high a pressure is used.
When I took possession at 5k miles, it had been running with "comfort pressures" and they'd worn more on the outsides. I ran most of last summer with 2 psi over regular running pressures, 38psi all-round. I may have gone too far. Been running with 36psi all round since September. Also the centre channel is slightly to wide for the shaft of my vernier, so that measurement may be inaccurate!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I meant to add that based on the original measurements Chaser's post would have worked.
It was a great suggestion, had my original measurements been correct!

I've a good indi guy at the top of my road I've use for a while. Unless the dealer offers a decent price on the Verdestein, it'll be going to him for fitting..

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I've just triple checked and acquired another slightly different set of results!!
Had too hectic a weekend with my boys birthday party amongst other things. I'm going to find a quiet moment tomorrow to have another look.
Problem is the vernier (a digi set) is really difficult to use on the tyres and as previously mentioned, it's stock is only a fraction wider than the two centre grooves in the tyre. And my tread depth gauge is shit.
Consistently measuring more wear in the centres but seems to only be a 10th of a mm difference or so using the tread depth gauge.
From this last round of measurements, I'm seeing about 5.5mm (outside, 5.4mm centres) on the rears and 5mm on the front outsides, 4.9-ish-mm on the front centres.
See what tomorrow brings...

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Spent a good half hour on my knees. It's a bloody cold wind that blows today!

Stuck with the vernier as it's far more accurate than my tin pot tread gauge.
Front's are 5mm across the whole tyre. The second to last inner channel is impossible to measure accurately as it's too wide for the shaft/stock of my vernier to straddle. But the inner most are also measuring 5mm.

Rears are 5.5mm apart from the outer most channel that's measuring 5.7mm on one side and 5.8mm on the other.
No idea what that represents. A rear toe issue would show as wear on the inner or outer edges and there's no steeping/saw tooth wear. It's a minor difference and maybe slight camber issue or just a function of the rear wheel steering or the stock rear camber setup?

I can find verdesteins for £235 a corner. VW want £260 fitted. I'm tempted to go with the dealer as my local guy charges £20 to fit and balance.

Dealer I spoke to quoted £240 to check alignment which is fucking extortionate. Although I've called the nearest indi with a Hunter who I've used before and he won't touch anything with radar and the rear wheel steering is also a problem for him. My other local option is Kwik fit as they also have a Hunter. I'd not let them anywhere near my car, I've learned that lesson but they also can't do it.

I literally brushed off the curb that did the damage and I've not hit anything else of huge concern so not majorly worried about the alignment but it does seem foolish to spend over a grand on tyres and not have it checked!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Just called the dealer again to double check on alignment pricing. The £240 is the base price. If they need to calibrate the camera/radar that price could double!!
I've just had my front camera and radar calibrated as part of an update done under warranty but obviously if they were to change anything in the alignment that would throw front assist out, it'd need to be recalibrated..

They also can't guarantee tyres manufactured this year where as the online retailers can for a £7 a tyre surcharge..

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Feel like I'm spamming my own thread again...

My inner skinflint has taken over. Found an identical tyre on ebay with 5.5mm of wear for £90. DOT 4620 so newer than my current set. Has a puncture repair but not too bothered about that. Will see me through this year and I'll fork out for the all seasons in the autumn.

ebay link

·
Mechanical Guru
3,050 Posts
Makes sense to me.
There's a tendancy to overthink things. I don't see why people worry about a few tenths of a mm, makes no real difference to the performance of the tyre and the difference still won't be that great when the tyres are binned.

Reactions: fka

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A mixture of the Mrs nagging me for spending money and me spending a half hour staring at tyres with life left in them spurred me on. Really not looking forward to a time when this thing does actually need an alignment. That's going to hurt!

·
Mechanical Guru
3,050 Posts
Extortionate alignment costs was one of the reasons I deliberately didn't order ACC over the standard cruise control. I've had it before and not particularly a fan of it anyway.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can see your reasoning now but think I'd still go for it. Becoming more and more standard fair, the indi's are going to have to be let in on the game at some point.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Used tyre arrived today and I had it fitted.
Seller had confirmed with me it was plugged and patched. It was properly patched on the inside but on closer inspection I don't see any evidence of it being plugged. Quizzed the seller tonight and he's said he only patched it, only ever patches, sorry for the misunderstanding blah blah blah .. Will send me another when he next gets a batch in but obviously that's another £20 and a waste of my time to have it fit.

I've read the BS standard on tyre repairs. I know both plug and patch (or a combo) are required to stop water ingress and subsequent degrading of the steel belt. Bearing in mind I'm expecting these to see me through to next autumn, how concerned should I be, if at all?

·
Chairman
20,445 Posts
Bloody hell, man, you own a £50K 2 tonne, 130 mph car and you are fricking about buying used tyres to squeeze a few miles out of the other three.

Chaser has given you the route out - BUY A NEW TYRE TODAY.

I've just binned three tyres that might have done another 10K after the 4th got a bulge because I want to stay safe

Whilst the set of tyres cost me 400 quid I've actually only lost out on about £100 of wear. Stay safe (and yes, I've shouted at you!).

PS And you have no idea how long the previous owner of that tyre ran it under inflated or possibly flat.....

·
Registered
430 Posts
Bloody hell, man, you own a £50K 2 tonne, 130 mph car and you are fricking about buying used tyres to squeeze a few miles out of the other three.

Chaser has given you the route out - BUY A NEW TYRE TODAY.

I've just binned three tyres that might have done another 10K after the 4th got a bulge because I want to stay safe

Whilst the set of tyres cost me 400 quid I've actually only lost out on about £100 of wear. Stay safe (and yes, I've shouted at you!).

PS And you have no idea how long the previous owner of that tyre ran it under inflated or possibly flat.....
Assume your £400 is the amount you threw away? If not where the hell do you get a set of 4 new tyres for £400!!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts