Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm rapidly losing all faith with VW and the dealer network.
This time last year I bought a service plan to cover the service that had just been carried out that I was told was a minor service, which is listed on the invoice as a ?20,000 mile service?. And what I was told would be a major service this year.

Last year was the cars second service and should have just been an oil service, although at 2 years old according to the service SoW I downloaded from ErWin It should have had a cabin filter change (covered under a minor on a service plan according to VW website) and a sunroof inspection.
According to the invoice the cabin filter was not changed. However, the sunroof was inspected but they went a step further and did a full sunroof service, cleaning and lubing the rails. As far as I'm aware the roof service is meant to be charged as a separate service item, not included in a service plan. It was also not necessary at 2 years old.

I was using Lookers last year but lost faith this time round when trying to book in for a service. The same guy who sold me the service plan was telling me it was only due a minor service and I just didn't trust him. I call my closest dealer who I'd previously discounted as their charges for various like courtesy cars were higher. They stated the service records indicate a major service was due, as I'd expected. I booked in with them and they serviced today. However when I get the car back the paperwork states a minor service was carried out, although they did do a "major service" extended inspection which tallies with the maintenance plan from ErWin. I also paid additional on my request for the brake service and A/C service to be done. Brake service after 3 years tallies with the service SoW and I'd skipped the A/C service last year.
I called for an explanation as my booking was clearly for a major service. I was told that Lookers had taken the major service from the service plan last year!! I hit the fucking roof...
Not only had Lookers lied to me, their actions were frankly fraudulent. I was also annoyed with the "new" dealer as they should have called me when they spotted the discrepancy. They knew a major service was due..

Called Lookers and was very quickly told by a very pleasant young lady that she was relativity new to the service team and I wasn't the first person this week to call and complain about this, and that the little shite from their service team who cooked this shit up is no longer with the company! If I'd booked in with them this year they would have carried out the major service and discounted it accordingly so it fit in with the service plan. Dodgy as!! Manager no longer on site so I'm expecting his call tomorrow. I ask said pleasant young lady to forewarn her manger that I believe their actions are fraudulent, my car will never come to them again and they can pay the "new" dealer to pick my car up again and complete the outstanding service items - which to be honest, is just a pollen filter. Rest assured I'll be screwing him for some other form of compensation.

Which brings me to VW and their major and minor services. I know this has been covered before but what's the extra cost of a major actually for?
There's an extended inspection. I get that. The VW website states fuel and air filter changed on a major but the service SoW states air filter every 6 years or 90,00km and fuel filter every 60,000km. So what is it, as per SoW or done at each major service?

• Angry
Reactions: Davey2021

· Super Moderator
12,565 Posts
I had a similar experience with my last service which was taken out of my ‘new’ VW service plan (2023-2024), instead of my old one (had 1 service remaining on that for 2022).

Apparently it was too problematic to correct this, so I am now a service down but have written assurance from my dealer that the missing service will be carried out FOC in 2024 at their own cost.

Its not hard to keep to a minor, then major service regime but human error and a lack of accountability seem all to typical these days.

I did negotiate adequate compensation by getting all the transmission/transfer case/diff oils changed for 50% of their initial quote though and that saving was significant 👍

Reactions: fka

· Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AFAIK the minor "service" is just changes the engine oil and oil filter plus an upselling video to try to convince you that you need new tyres and/or brakes.
Thanks BG
Does a minor not also include a 'minor' inspection?

· Registered
528 Posts
Hi

Sound like another rouge VW dealer... (aren't they all?!?!?!) And I thought it was just me that managed to find the worst dealers.....

I was told a sun roof service was and extra £150. Clearing drains and lube was included in the 80k service.

Didn't know there was a brake service! Wonder if this was done as part of the major 80k service?

Even if the employee has left, the dealer is still liable and they know it.

@Cass manages to get work done for free, that my locals refused to do!!! They would not change any diff oil, but they would sell me a new one!!! ROFL!

Buying a new Treg or any new VW for that matter seems like it just gonna be too painful dealing with the dealers. Never have I found a marque's dealer network to be sooo very disappointing.

Hope you rip em a new one.

· Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Regarding the major/ minor. I spoke with the service manager at the dealership who serviced yesterday and asked about the discrepancy between the VW service SOW and the uk major minor service plan. His own words - the major minor is a marketing ploy cooked up for the UK market. The major will always include air, pollen, fuel filters regardless of it fitting in with the SOW.

To be honest I'm fine with them being changed more frequently than officially required. An air filter shouldn't be left on a car for 6 year. Neither a fuel filter be on for 60k.

Lookers have just agreed to arrange, at their expense, for the "new" dealership to pick my car up and complete the outstanding items - pollen, fuel and air filters...

With an aim of sharing all the facts here, the Lookers service manager's explanation was that the person I dealt with, due to lack of knowledge "mistakenly took the major service from the service plan". This and other admin errors is why they had to let him go.
I get the feeling the guy they let go is being made a scapegoat for some wider issues at that dealership. Initially the Lookers service manger tried to bring to my attention the fact they'd carried out "what we call a 20k service". What is this 20k service?? The invoice shows a charge of around £300 but as far as i can gather they've done an oil service and checked and serviced the sunroof, which I didn't actually ask them to do and wasn't required. When I pointed out that none of the filters were changed and it was the cars second service which should have been an oil change, he quickly dropped that line...

Reactions: Cass

· Super Moderator
12,565 Posts
AFAIK the minor "service" is just changes the engine oil and oil filter plus an upselling video to try to convince you that you need new tyres and/or brakes.
That’s my understanding - essentially an oil/filter llubcation service with basic safety checks and a health check video 👍

Reactions: fka

· Super Moderator
12,565 Posts
@Cass manages to get work done for free, that my locals refused to do!!! They would not change any diff oil, but they would sell me a new one!!! ROFL!
Not exactly free but half price in getting my running gear oils changed due to delays in getting warranty repairs done, failure to carry out a price match guarantee and trying to charge me for multiple diff oil plugs when I only needed 2. There’s a thread somewhere which sets it all out so I won’t go into all the details here again.

edit - relevant thread here:

Replacement of Gearbox/Transfer Case/Diff Oils 😬

The ‘missing‘ service isn’t actually FOC, it’s them carrying it out without any charge to me because I’m already paying for it under another discounted VW Service Plan - the dealer debited my new plan with the cost of my last service instead of my previous plan which has now lapsed.

· Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As compensation I've just paid £280 for a 2 year service plan.
Just waiting for a date to have the outstanding major service items done.

· Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Think I've finally lost the will ...

Car went in this week to have the remaining major service items done.
Also asked them to look at the sagging driver's door and a rear interior light in the headlining that should be touch on/off (still works when the doors opened but the touch on/off no longer working.) .. asked them only to find out if either are covered under my warranty and if not I wanted a quote to get the door aligned.

Rear light is still under discussion with VW extended warranty people. The door they said wasn't covered but they'd take to their body shop to get a quote.

Car was dropped back to me in the evening and the driver, to my surprise told me he'd just come from their body shop, the problem was actually the alignment of the rear door and the shop had fixed it FOC.

Was getting dark but I confirmed the driver's door top window frame was no longer rubbing on the rear door and was happy.. if not a little suspicious .. you get nowt for free...

Had a closer look today and the rear passenger door now needs much more force to close it and you can see the door is being pulled down when it engages with the latch. So not properly aligned at all.

Further rooting around and I find a bunch of damage to the rear door. See the pics below.
No idea how they've done it but someone has clearly fucked up. Not fessed up and handed my car back going "look mate I've fixed it for ya!"

Damage is clearly new. In parts it's rubbed down to bare metal which show no signs of rust, there is paint dust clearly visible in the area and they'd just cleaned the car.. also no corresponding rub mark on the C pillar so nothing to do with the door alignment.

Dealer service manager contacted and pictures sent. He's forwarded to the body shop manager and I await a response on Monday.. He was very apologetic and stated he was also surprised they'd "fixed" it when they'd only been asked for a quote. I suspect I may have a fight on my hands but they've done work that I never authorised so they're already on very shaky ground.

First pic is edge of rear door. Second edge of rear door showing damage to the door skin (ground down to bare metal and damage to the chrome trim just below the rear window.

I think they've left the door open and reversed into something..

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Fender

Fin Fish Marine mammal Metal Reptile

· Chairman
13,607 Posts
Utter feckwits.

· Super Moderator
12,565 Posts
Shocking 🤦‍♂️

· Registered
528 Posts
Saggy door on 3 year old car?!?! WTF!?!? I'm assuming it began sagging after it was delivered and was not on the wonk out of manufacturing?

Feel for you.

My previous VW dealer kindly put 3 dents in my doors whilst looking at something. Sent photos that day. The denied all knowledge at first but ultimately accepted liability - It took 3 months for them to sort it out. And I think it only got sorted because I contacted the MD / Dealer Principle, who was very very good, sadly the service staff are utterly terrible.

Really hope they get that sorted out for you pronto.

· Registered
T1 2.5 SE, Sport
756 Posts
These stories are disappointing, it wouldn't inspire me to buy a more modern Touareg needing main dealer servicing over the old banger I have.

· Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The rear door has always shut just fine and shut lines look fine but the chrome trim at the top of the door skin has always looked a little out of line but not so much that I didn't notice it for a year and the other side is similar. Looking at others, I've seen the same. Also the front grill on the T5 often looks slightly out of line. Something I commented about that seems to have followed on the 2023 T6 when cass posted the pics. I readjusted mine and it looks fine but just assumed they're not put together too tidily ..

About a month ago the front door window frame started catching the rear door. So something has moved. The rear door isn't going to move up of it's own accord so the front must have dropped..

Service manager I'm dealing with seems like a straight up guy and has made himself available to the point i now have his mobile number. I just have no faith in the dealership as a whole. Or frankly the Lookers dealership I was with prior..
Such a shame. I'm not sure I'd have faith in a dealer of any other marque either if the internet is to be believed..

Said it before, I long for my trusted indy garage

· Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Was in with the "new" dealership I've been using today for it's MOT. Passed with no advisories as it should.

When they'd serviced (part2!) and changed the fuel filter, it stank of diesel when it came back. I couldn't be bothered mentioning above as it was just another fail on a long list of other failures.. I could see they'd spilled diesel in the engine bay and onto the under tray. Couldn't see any sign of a leak so chucked a load of hot soapy water around the filter and onto the under tray and rinsed off. Which got rid of the worst of it. Reported to dealer on point of a) I've noticed it and they should have cleaned it up/ taken more care. And b) if there is actually a leak, I've raised it with them as having occurred after the filter change. Dealer said they'd check it when they had it in for the MOT.

To this day there is still a slight diesel smell evident outside the car when you get out after a run. I assume just diesel residue being vaporised once the engine bay is warmed up but made a point they checked it before the MOT today so I didn't get a huge fuel leak FAIL in the history.
No fuel leak evident so my assumption stands. However they found the crankcase breather hose running to a resonator that sits on the inlet of the turbo after the MAF was loose/ not seated properly. At least I assume it's that hose as I can't see any other crankcase breather hosiery in the vicinity of the air filter. I'm not convinced but their theory is that this could be the source of the diesel smell. They said it might have been disturbed when they changed the air filter but can't be sure. As a result they did my MOT FOC!

Driving home, I've noticed more power, smoother idling, much more progressive (not surging) throttle response and more progressive braking. Some of these may be placebo, however there's a marked but subtle difference, especially the smoother throttle response and power, which has been intermittently irritating and I'd assumed a function the gearbox lag. Some of these symptoms I reported in the first year of ownership and they found no issue. I think the hose has been like that for a while and sometimes was letting in enough air to upset the MAF and cause the above.
Either way the "new" dealership are starting to redeem themselves despite fucking up my rear door and not owning up to it ... It's into their bodyshop on Monday to have that resolved ..

· Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Back from the body shop today. New trim fit and scuff sprayed. And as a bonus, both offside doors properly aligned!

Gets a thorough clean inside and out when it's with them. I've not had to clean it since September :ROFLMAO:

Wheel Tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire

1 - 18 of 18 Posts