Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Comfort Access? Ah yes, just looked it up! Mine has keyless access but I didn’t realise it was called comfort access! Quite handy! Didn’t realise it was an option. I’ve got the ergo seats as well, which was why I was happy to go up to Tech. Couldn’t believe it when I found that the R only has limited manual seat adjustment.

BG

·
Registered
441 Posts
The Ergocomfort seat were a must for me too. I couldn't get comfortable in the manual ones.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sounds good. I'll check my first oil change. Mine was also a bit higher milage than I wanted the the spec was nearly perfect so went with it. Also the 3 litre v6 is a strong engine. I wanted the roof mainly as never has one and loved how bright it made the inside.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Sounds good. I'll check my first oil change. Mine was also a bit higher milage than I wanted the the spec was nearly perfect so went with it. Also the 3 litre v6 is a strong engine. I wanted the roof mainly as never has one and loved how bright it made the inside.
Yes, the pano roofs are nice and light. I was tempted at one point but I am a strong believer in the KISS principle, and practicality. Also the weight of the pano roof takes a chunk off the payload, and I read a thread somewhere suggesting that it might have some negative structural implications. Don’t know how much of that is true! Think I also read that it was spare wheel or pano roof, for weight reasons, and I wanted the spare wheel. You takes yer choice……

My car has the black headlining as well, so it is a bit dark but has the big advantage that it doesn’t show the marks. My cars are often loaded to the roof with all sorts of junk, sort of a mobile toolbox, so that matters to me. I‘m a dirty devil, in and out of cars in mucky boiler suits etc. so ”all black” suits very well. Always been like that: my mother bought me black towels when I was a kid!

BG

·
Registered
441 Posts
For the record I've a pano roof and a spare wheel.
The structural issues you read about on here are complete nonsense. The guy who made the comments couldn't back up his claim with a single recorded example.
They do make the cabin a much lighter/brighter place to be. Along with being able to blow dry your hair on the 3 days in the year it's worth opening it!
Don't know about the payload reduction. I doubt it's reduced by any significant amount.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
For the record I've a pano roof and a spare wheel.
The structural issues you read about on here are complete nonsense. The guy who made the comments couldn't back up his claim with a single recorded example.
They do make the cabin a much lighter/brighter place to be. Along with being able to blow dry your hair on the 3 days in the year it's worth opening it!
Don't know about the payload reduction. I doubt it's reduced by any significant amount.
My apologies. I was confusing the Touareg with the new Toyota my wife bought last year. On that car you can have either a sunroof or a space saver spare wheel!

I tend to agree about the structural comments. All these vehicles have to go through type approvals etc. These are quite tight. Some panel van camper converters have had big problems getting approval for large sunroofs. I was more concerned about the reports of leakage due to blocked drain pipes: I had this problem on two Discos, which meant wet seats, driving with a mac on and a shower at every corner! One could not be cured and we ended up sealing the whole thing up with high performance mastic!

BG

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hi,

It had 24 on the odo when I bought it, which was rather more than I had hoped for, but it had a first oil change at about 7400 miles, which is not too bad in my book. I am a bit old fashioned and still believe in an early oil change on a new engine, and then very regular oil changes thereafter.

VW seem to have confused some dealers with their “fixed” and “flexible” service regimes, and there are some who seem to think that 18,000 miles before a first oil change is normal. I even saw one that had not had its first oil change at 23,000 miles. Whatever, I don’t want a car that has not had a reasonably early first oil change.

I did look at one with a pano roof: very nice and airy, but I was reminded that one of the big problems with my Discoveries was leaking roofs, and I hardly ever opened the roof on the Shogun because it was too noisy. I believe Tregs can suffer from leaky roofs in time, and I tend to keep my cars a while. With AC you hardly need one anyway. So personally I am happier without. The only good thing about Disco sunroofs was that they were easy to rip off. We somersaulted and rolled a TD5 on the M5 once (not me driving!) and it ended up on its side with all doors jammed, but a kind man ripped out one sunroof so we could get out.

I don’t think mine has got much in the way of options, but with all the looking I have been doing I got a bit confused over specs. The main thing was the f/f towbar/fans, and cars with those were very difficult to find.

BG

·
Chairman
20,322 Posts
And the factory forgot to fit the correct upgraded fan on quite a few cars with the OEM towbar!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
My car has F\F twin 600 watt fans.

Just to update for those who proffered helpful advice (Thanks!) and any others interested:

1. I have had the same problems as others have reported elsewhere on this forum of ACC / Front Assist failure, both when towing and when heavily loaded in the boot. As has been said it seemed like at times the radar was scanning the sky. This is a coil sprung car by the way: my choice, but of course no self levelling. Why isn't the radar thingy self levelling like the headlamps??. I checked and found that the software version was 2481, not the advised latest version, 2838. With the help of the info on this forum I was able to contest VW's claim that an update was not available under warranty since the car post-dates the latest update. The system has been updated and recalibrated under warranty and seems OK so far but the real test will be next week when it will be taking a very heavy load of batteries and tool boxes to my ship in Belgium.

2. The update has cured various other minor niggles such as the unwillingness of the navigation system to store favourite destinations.

3. Just as the forum advised the coil sprung R-Line Tech on 20" wheels and Bridgestone Alenzas was very fidgety on potholed and uneven roads, a big issue since the car spends a lot of time on Belgian roads and Cornish lanes, and I have a grumbling back. I bought a set of absolutely immaculate 18" Cascade rims (as fitted on the VW Off-Road Experience cars in Germany) from Original Raeder for 700 euros, which came complete with a set of very barely used Goodyear Vector All Seasons tyres. These have transformed the car in terms of ride: It is a completely different beast, even on Belgian Pave (cobbles). The old 20" tyres were getting past their best before date and I would have spent more than 700 euros on a new set of 20" tyres! Also I suspect that at every tyre change I will save £200+ on a full set of 18" tyres rather than 20". Plus I can probably sell the old Nevada rims for something over 700 euros. So that one is a win-win-win!

All in all I am very satisfied. Wonderful car, fantastic seats for someone with a bad back and a heavy mileage habit, and I continue to be amazed by the lack of fuel consumption. 38 mpg+ around town and 42 on well laden long runs (checked by brimming: the computer is only slightly optimistic!). I also think the car looks better on the 18" Grandad rims, and will look even better once I have had my moneysworth out of the Vectors and (probably) changed to Grabbers. Will see how the Vectors go.

Thanks to all who passed on wisdom. BG

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Super Moderator
16,036 Posts
Good. To hear you are enjoying the car and practical tips are great for everyone. One of the advantages of using dealers is that you get software and other technical updates done but you shouldn’t need to ask for them, they should be applied as a matter of courtesy.

Let us know how you get on with the towing and the heavy load trip as there have been several posts on problems with the radar sensors 👍

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Good. To hear you are enjoying the car and practical tips are great for everyone. One of the advantages of using dealers is that you get software and other technical updates done but you shouldn’t need to ask for them, they should be applied as a matter of courtesy.

Let us know how you get on with the towing and the heavy load trip as there have been several posts on problems with the radar sensors 👍
Yep, will update in late June. I have not towed the caravan yet with this car but will be using it early June and that will be another good test. The nose weight is quite high at about 120 kilos. That plus the pitching of a big van will be another good challenge for the eye in the sky!

Yes again to your point about updates. I am a bit miffed that the selling dealer did not make sure the car was up to date. After all I guess that many of the updates are largely patches or repairs to glitches that should have been ironed out before production, but I suppose that is computers!

BG

·
Registered
441 Posts
I like the grandad wheels!

·
Mechanical Guru
3,020 Posts
I like the grandad wheels!
Me too, not a bad look at all. Although I wouldn't want to clean in those tight corners.

·
Chairman
20,322 Posts
Now we want pictures of "the ship" please.

·
Chairman
20,322 Posts
I'd kind kf worked that out from "Bargee" but wondered if yours was one of those working barges that you see on the major waterways of Europe with about 6 inches of freeboard!

Still good to see the schip though. What length, beam, draught, age and engine?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I'd kind kf worked that out from "Bargee" but wondered if yours was one of those working barges that you see on the major waterways of Europe with about 6 inches of freeboard!

Still good to see the schip though. What length, beam, draught, age and engine?
Well, when she was working in NL the gunwhales would have been awash midships. She’s a 1925 Dutch Luxemotorschip, one of the earliest types of pure motorschip built for Dutch rivers and estuaries, 30 metres x 4.3, 119 tons, 1 metre draft as now converted but she would have loaded to 1.6 metres. We bought her from trade in 1984, restored and converted her. At that time ships of this size were becoming uneconomic and most were headed for the breakers yards. Most inland shipping now is 1000 tonnes or more, up to 3000 tonnes or more on some waterways. She still has the same DAF615 100 hp marinised truck engine that was in her when she was last working, but originally she had a big old Kromhaut single cylinder semi-diesel, probably about 30 hp @ 300 rpm. The beds are still there. Good old girl, nice and low tech! She’s off to a traditional ships rally in Ostend next week. Thanks for your interest.
BG.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts