Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night i am wafting along and open the window, as i slow down i can here a tapping sound which increases and decreases in frequency relative to speed. So i get and have a look, its dark i cant see anything, so carry on home.

With the windows closed cannot here a thing, although this is an easy fix i thought i better look in to it a bit more, so went round the rear o/s new grabber uhp fitted last week and found a huge self tapper complete with washer smack in the middle the tread surface.

Emailed event tyres last night and Tony rang this morning and said he will be with about midday to try and repair it.

Question is how did it get there, it seems to perfectly placed to have just been picked up from the road, complete with washer, but as i cant here didley in side the car i have no idea when it may have been picked up.

Is it possible someone screwed my tyre
: :shock: :evil:

I was looking for an excuse to put up a security wireless camera pointing out from the bedroom window, i have played around with a couple and they seem reasonable enough and can be set to take a picture on detecting motion and email it to you.

So .... when you check your tyre pressures have a look around the tyres and make sure you haven?t been screwed or nailed or worse

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
I sympathise with the camera piece.

Several years ago when I lived in Woodstock we were plagued by car thieves from Oxford so I put up a camera and 8 hour video.

One evening as I turned the camera on, I saw a middle aged bloke walk up to my Beemer and kick the door for no reason other than I was parked very close to his front bumper in a less than roomy space in front of him because he had left 6 feet clear behind his Disco to open the rear door for his bluddy dog!

Waving the video tape under his nose with an invitation to walk down to the police station had the desired effect for an apology and a visit to the cash machine just down the road for what turned out to be a polishable mark on the door!

I don't know if you have to put a sign up these days if you are videoing your property in order to be able to use it as evidence later if required. Knowing the stupidity of Westminster wan?ers, sorry, politicians, it's perfectly possible you have to warn thieves you are watching them!

·
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Event tyres turned up at 1pm as promised and repaired the tyre with a plug, its as good as new.

E-tyres give free puncture repair if you buy tyres from them, so i was surprised to see Event tyres charge 29.95.

I was woundering about the aspect of putting up a warning sign, i shall find out the legal requirements of using material as evidence.

But today i am just happy i didnt have to spend ?150 on a new tyres all things considered.

Listening to the radio i heard about a case where a cars were being vandalised down a street, the people were all very nice including an old fella who would always go out of his way to help others. One day one of the neighbours parked their car in a parking layby type area, perfectly legal the area was a designated parking space for anyone. The parking space was behind the house of the owner of the car and was clearly visible from his upstairs window where he notice the old fella, the polite one always willing to help, pull out a knife and scratch the car all way along the side, the owner also took a video of the old bloke doing the deed, so it turned out the old fella didnt like anyone parking in the designated parking bay, because it was in front of his house and he believed it was his space ..... even thou he didnt drive or have a car !!

G

·
I'd guess probably not malicious. Cheap self tappers from Screwfix et al mean that every time a builder opens the back doors of his Transit van a few will fall out.

Furthermore they are perfectly designed so that if the head is towards your tyre as you run over it, the first touch will tilt it to the perfect angle to penetrate your tyre. But they do seal quite well.

As an aside, plug kits are widely available in USA (eg Walmart) - worth buying one for $9.95 if you take a holiday there. I keep one in both our cars.

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Sympathise with your screw issue.

Bought 2 new rear run flats for my Z4 last year at the bargain price of ?215 each :shock:

After less than 2 weeks, had a puncture, turned out to be a screw, perfectly embedded in the centre of the tread. Tried loads of places to get it fixed but everyone said the same "sorry sir, there is no approved plug repair for run flats".

Cost me another ?215, bugger :evil:

·
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lord Flasheart said:

Bought 2 new rear run flats for my Z4 last year at the bargain price of ?215 each :shock:

After less than 2 weeks, had a puncture, turned out to be a screw, perfectly embedded in the centre of the tread. Tried loads of places to get it fixed but everyone said the same "sorry sir, there is no approved plug repair for run flats".

Two cases, a screw perfectly placed in the middle of the tread, a year apart ..... if an american screenwritter is reading this we may see a new tv series about a serial tyre killer !!

·
Registered
29 Posts
If somebody wanted to mess with you they wouldn't put the screw in the middle of the tyre. I had a screw in one of my tyres which was 2 weeks old on my old M5. 200ukp worth of tyre and it couldn't be fixed because it was a 'performance car' and the screw was near the edge. Which to be fair it was. Had it been an inch further in I would have about 190ukp more in the bank right now

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
Bluddy great flint the size of my thumb, rear offside dead centre, yesterday.

I was overtaking at high speed on a short bit of dual carriageway when the car twitched slightly and felt a bit odd for a moment or two but I wasn't aware of the flat until 4 miles later when I slowed for a 30 limit and heard that dreaded flump, flump, flump.

Luckily I was right outside my son's house, so off with the wheel, into the 110, and ?11.50 and an hour later, one puncture repaired.

I must admit I was expecting to be told the tyre had had it in which case it would have had to be a new pair as they are now all on 6-7 mm.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
furion said:
Two cases, a screw perfectly placed in the middle of the tread, a year apart ..... if an american screenwritter is reading this we may see a new tv series about a serial tyre killer !!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hhhmmm a plan forms, I'll split the profits 50-50 with you

·
717 Posts
Bit late but re the CCTV.
You do not need any notice if you are covering your own house. You only need to display a notice if it is a commercial premises and that is to comply with the Data Protection Act. Home CCTV can be used in evidence without any warning and there are no restrictions if you capture the neighbours house or the road or public paths outside , the principal being that if you can see it with the mark 1 eyeball, you can capture it.

·
886 Posts
Lord Flasheart said:

Lord Flasheart,

Daughter has had a couple of puntures in the runflats on her Z4 and they have both been repairable for ?10 each time.

She has had no problems with them either. So long as the puncture is middling on the tread and the plug stops the leak I can't see what the problem is. after all it is the sidewalls that are strengthened in runflats so if you think about it a repaired runflat is probably safer than a normal tyre repaired.

As said she has had no problem but guess that at ?200+ per tyre there is more profit in selling a new tyre :shock:

Just my opinion for what it is worth.

Cheers

Tom

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Hi Tom,

Glad your daughter got hers done, wish I could have

I agree with you that so long as its in the middle of the tyre as mine was, it should not be an issue but no tyre place locally would repair it for me, they said it was not legal.

Found this link to show why they wouldn't do it for me
http://www.car-tyres.org.uk/articles/ru ... epairs.asp

Anyway, Z4 now replaced by der Panzer so no longer an issue for me

Cheers

Gary

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
Are repairs to the sidewall ok?
Recently I got a puncture(actually looked as if someone had put a flat bladed knife in) to a tyre on a Spanish rental car.
The local garage said "No problemo ******" or words to that effect and repaired it.
Can that be done legally,the repair looked v good from the outside annd it did seem they were doing it all the time.

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
This might be of interest, at ?39.00 it would be worth keeping one in the car.

Says it can be used on run-flats too, but of course not for sidewall repairs.

http://dynaplug.eu/index.html

Alasdair

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
Definitely not!

There was a time when you could get tyre shoulder repairs done where the tyre was sent away and for the repair to be vulcanised to ensure the patch was heat sealed into the tyre, but not any more.

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
noobytoogy said:
Definitely not!

There was a time when you could get tyre shoulder repairs done where the tyre was sent away and for the repair to be vulcanised to ensure the patch was heat sealed into the tyre, but not any more.
Seems common practice in Spain nooby.
I regularly hire cars in Spain and have always been wary about the tyres.I now have my own insurance for this as tyres aren't covered in the"comprehensive" insurance.
I checked the pressures on the aforementioned car shortly after collection and to a man they were all 15-20lbs underinflated.
I've even had one car where part of the side wall was flapping about and they were going to glue it down ,before I rejected it.
I've never had a Spanish hire car that's had a radio aerial.......someone's probably got a shed full somewhere.

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
Do you take your own metal coat hanger?!

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
noobytoogy said:
Do you take your own metal coat hanger?!
Actually I do ,but it doesn't always work.
I know in the old days we could stuff a coat hanger into the small hole of a broken wing aerial ,look like a mobile Sketchley advert,and still get The Archers,but most hire cars have screw thread aerials and they all differ.
Can't understand Spanish jibber jabber anyway so don't suppose I miss much.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts