Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
About to pick up a 2007 3.0 TDi SE which has the MFD2 (I think) sat nav.
Seen a lot about RNS510 and had a few questions:
- Is it easy to change to RNS510? What's involved?
- Is it worth changing to RNS510 (what's different other than being touch screen)?
- Are there different versions of RNS510? I've seen some for sale on Ebay and most say they are suitable for VW's but don't list the Touareg then some specifically list the Touareg/T5. Why is it different (if it is)?

I also need to fit Bluetooth (I guess that's the case whatever sat nav I have/get?).
What's the best option for integration?

Cheers

Martin

·
1,307 Posts
hi, yes i would say it's worth it as in my opinion it is a good unit. yes there are different units to versions A,B and C. if i were you though and you are going to upgrade, i would maybe think about an aftermarket system which has all the features but in one unit!!

the bluetooth is seperate and 3-4 hundred pounds for an original plus the cost of the unit it becomes very expensive.

you could get a unit with bluetooth, tv, dvd, sat nav all built in for less than a second hand RNS 510.

maybe worth thinking about.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi, yes i would say it's worth it as in my opinion it is a good unit. yes there are different units to versions A,B and C. if i were you though and you are going to upgrade, i would maybe think about an aftermarket system which has all the features but in one unit!!

the bluetooth is seperate and 3-4 hundred pounds for an original plus the cost of the unit it becomes very expensive.

you could get a unit with bluetooth, tv, dvd, sat nav all built in for less than a second hand RNS 510.

maybe worth thinking about.
Thanks Stu.
What's the difference between the different versions? Does the Touareg need a specific version?
Would prefer to stick with OEM sat nav if poss if I can find an RNS510 at the right price. I'll then add a Fiscon Bluetooth kit I think, as it seems to be very good. Also don't want TV in the car - can't really see the point.

The more info I have the better!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In addition to my last queries - would an RNS510 from a MkV Golf go into a Touareg or are they car specific?

·
1,307 Posts
the main difference between the ABC versions is the firmware that is loaded on them, but that can be addressed at a later date. you will just have to keep an eye out on ebay for a good unit at a good price. make sure that it has not been opened up to extract codes etc as there is a chance it will go pete tong if it has!!

unfortunately you pay your money and take your choice..

good luck.

G

·
Smarty, Many of us find the earlier satnav, RNS2, (MFD is the display between the speedo and the tach) is perfectly acceptable, so you might want to try it out for a while before you go off at half cock.

Cheers, Andy

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help and advice everyone.
I'm not going to do anything for a while. Will see how the current nav goes first.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Not wanting to nick your thread smarty but my splat nav is just not good either.

poor directions and just out of date.

Can a new disc be bought for the bogger mf2 jobby ( the one with no telly or touch but with a 5" screen)

Or and more on topic,,, what are the none v dub alternatives??

·
1,307 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Has anyone here bought and installed one of the Ebay jobbies?
Do you lose the MFD sat nav directions etc?

On my trip today, the one thing that was missing and I really need is TMC (traffic). I looked at the disc and it's V4. Do the newer discs have UK TMC?

·
1,307 Posts
i would have thought that you would have TMC on your unit, it's not as if it is a new thing!!

it is on the RNS 510.

i am not sure about losing the MFD, i would have thought you could code things with VCDS if it does go off.

i think you may need some coding anyway if you go to an after market unit.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/aftermarket-radio.html

·
1,307 Posts
guys, before you all go rushing out spending your hard earned, can you let me know what version of the maps you all have and what the latest version is??? i may and that is just a may be able to come up with something!!..

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
I've got the RN-S2 / MFD2 unit (or so you guys reliably informed me
) and really also need to update my disc for recent roads, etc..

I looked at the Tele Atlas site and it has the disc Here..

Can anybody tell me what the DX bit means? I've seen a couple of others for sale which state (non-DX) and didn't know if this was something I needed to take into consideration.....

Cheers in advance guys..

Ev

Oops.. just gone back to my thread a few below and see from one of the attachment images that the case for mine says DX on it... Don't know what it means though..

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My disc says V4 on it.
There are option for TMC and they are all turned on but it says there is no TMC station. It was like that all the way from Kent to Somerset and back yesterday.
My BMW sat nav used to use the ITIS system I believe which used Classic FM as the carrier in my area. Always picked up lots of reports as soon as I turned it on.
I'm therefore thinking it's to do with the software/disc. I know on the BMW system that you needed a disc newer than a certain version to be able to access TMC. I'm guessing there was a date after which BMW/Volkswagen agreed to pay the UK licence fee?
Anyone here have disc V4 and can access TMC?
If you have a newer disc for the RN S2 then I'd gladly pay you for it.

·
Registered
876 Posts
My disc says V4 on it.
There are option for TMC and they are all turned on but it says there is no TMC station. It was like that all the way from Kent to Somerset and back yesterday.
My BMW sat nav used to use the ITIS system I believe which used Classic FM as the carrier in my area. Always picked up lots of reports as soon as I turned it on.
I'm therefore thinking it's to do with the software/disc. I know on the BMW system that you needed a disc newer than a certain version to be able to access TMC. I'm guessing there was a date after which BMW/Volkswagen agreed to pay the UK licence fee?
Anyone here have disc V4 and can access TMC?
If you have a newer disc for the RN S2 then I'd gladly pay you for it.
You will require a TMC enabled disk, the Teleatlas disk can be purchased from Bluespot or Teleatlas nav shop as stated above.
All the same ITIS codes are there but you do need to check TMC is on the front of the box and disk.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks - does that mean that V4 is not TMC enabled? What version became TMC enabled?

1 - 20 of 75 Posts