Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if its me but when wanting to input latitude and longitude cordinates into the RNS610 the unit seems to want the coordinates in a different format,for example the coordinates of latitude 52.5683, longitude -1.7019 are basically useless. Does anybody else understand what I'm saying and can they tell me what to do!.

·
Elite Deserter
2,182 Posts
Rob,
I've never had cause to put coordinates in, postcodes work for me. Is there a special place in a field you're looking to visit ?

·
Super Moderator
15,678 Posts
I've used my RNS510 unit to input GPS co-ordinates no problem. I think you'll find you are using the wrong format - Decimal v Degrees/Minutes v Degrees/Min/Seconds

Have a look here:

http://www.eurofins.co.uk/contacts/sat-nav.aspx

Click on the GPS Visualiser to convert:

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/calculators.html

Not sure if the RNS510 unit can be switched between the options (I know my Tom Tom can) but I'd check the MFD computer to see what options are available in the settings menu.

Cass

·
118 Posts
HEHEY.
Very Funny.
Its nice to know how everything works, sometimes when booking a caravan site the site address does not have a road name and as 7 digit postcodes can't be input into the system I would like to try and put in the given coordinates to see how we get on.
Failing that I could always do it the old fashioned way and get the wife to navigate!.

Cass
Thanks,the web site seems very helpful but I will have a look to see if the settings can be adjusted in the MFD.
Cheers

·
Elite Deserter
2,182 Posts
"sometimes when booking a caravan site"

So there is a special place in a field your planning to visit. And you thought I was being flippant

G

·
Rob, I think you need to enter lat and long in the conventional format of degrees, mins, seconds.

You can convert decimals to mins and secs by multiplying by 60. First two digits of answer are mins then do it again for the remainder and first two digits are secs. Note one minute of latitude is a nautical mile (1.15 statute miles) and one minute of longitude is never more than a nautical mile (just over half at UK latitudes)so working to seconds is less than 100 feet. Close enough for caravan parking!!!

Example from your co-ordinates, 52.5683. 5683x60 = 34(0980). 0980x60 = 65(8800) say 7. So LAT is 52deg 34min 7 sec. conventionally written as N52,34,07 often without commas.

LONG is W001,42,07 - because there can be up to 180 degrees E or W whereas max lat N and S can only be 90 degrees, and E is +ve so W is -ve

Confused???????!!!!!, Andy

·
Elite Deserter
2,182 Posts
?

·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats all a bit deep for me andy,I wish I hadn't asked now!.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts