Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Did I read somewhere that it is possible to copy the sat nav dvd to the hard drive ?? Anyone know if this is a manual operation or whether this is done automatically.... Mine seems to access the DVD all the time (on or off) and thought the hard drive copy would speed things up.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers,

Paul.

·
Super Moderator
15,682 Posts
Newer RNS 510 unit is simply an install and then remove the DVD - automated process. Earlier MFD1/2 units need the disc to be installed at all times to activate the nav mapping.

Cass

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Bit disappointed with the RNS 510 (ver. 3 disc) sat nav. Could'nt find the Clachaig Inn at glencoe, whereas my Garmin 760 with it's 7 digit postcode search had no bother. I had hoped the version 4 disc would have the 7 digit postcode search, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Roll on version 5.

·
135 Posts
staffs said:
Bit disappointed with the RNS 510 (ver. 3 disc) sat nav. Could'nt find the Clachaig Inn at glencoe, whereas my Garmin 760 with it's 7 digit postcode search had no bother. I had hoped the version 4 disc would have the 7 digit postcode search, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Roll on version 5.
Arrggghh, the 7 digit postcode problem again!! I really hope V5 is the answer whenever it comes. Can I make a suggestion?
When it comes out I would be able to buy it through 'the trade' at what I'm sure would be a decent discounted price. I would be willing to buy it and then post it to each of you who wanted it for say ?10 a go via paypal and then hold it 'in stock' incase anyone required it to reload. Any profit made I would hold in account to pay for the next version when it arrived. I'm willing to take the risk and I'm sure there is enough trust in the world.

Andy

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Sounds like a good idea. VW were charging ?210 for version 4, which I think is a real rip off.

·
1,307 Posts
does anyone know what version should come with what age of car??? i have reccently bought a 57 reg late 2007 car with a version 1 dvd in the sat nav unit and no post code search. from all your experiences would a VW dealer update this and the firm ware free of charge or would it be a dig deep job?

·
318 Posts
staffs said:
Could'nt find the Clachaig Inn at glencoe.
Staffs,

Slightly off topic, but did you find the Clachaig in the end ? Worth going back for another search if you missed it. Had a few meals and bevvies there last year after climbing around Glencoe

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Scotty][quote=staffs said:
Could'nt find the Clachaig Inn at glencoe.
Staffs,

Slightly off topic, but did you find the Clachaig in the end ? Worth going back for another search if you missed it. Had a few meals and bevvies there last year after climbing around Glencoe
[/quote]

Yep, rang the inn for directions. Great atmosphere and good food
. Even Sir Jimmy Saville goes there

·
318 Posts
Pleased you didn't miss the experience
- I'm hoping to be back there later in the year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts