Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm unable to enter postcodes on my satnav, which, being used to this function on my old Garmin kit, is a pain not to have! I've looked through the forums here for similar threads, but unsure which system I have so checked my manuals... Unfortunately the manual describes an RNS2DVD SYSTEM, but the images are not the same as mine. So, I'm assuming I have a different system (like a detective huh!). The car is a 57 reg Altitude 3.0 V6, and the system I have is a combined DVD/Radio/CD/Satnav so can anyone tell me which systems were fitted so that I can identify mine. Or perhaps there's a screen that shows the model?

Once I've established what I've got, I need to know if it's possible to activate the postcode functionality. If not, I'll probably have to use my garmin, which is a shame.

·
Super Moderator
15,678 Posts
You should be able to do a partial postcode search regardless of what model Sat Nav you have. Partial means the first 5 digits and that's it - not 7 - it's a factory VW after all

If you have the touchscreen unit it is an RNS 510, if not, you will have the MFD2 - both are DVD based systems but the RNS 510 has a hard drive and you can only use the Sat Nav in the MFD2 when the disc is installed. Have a play with the setup menu - don't see how/why you can't get the relevant postcode search

Try this site for better info about the different systems:

http://vwnavi.com/forum.php

A quick search on eBay should get you an image of your particular model, unless you want to upload a pic yourself here.

Cass

·
Registered
34 Posts
You should be able to do a partial postcode search regardless of what model Sat Nav you have. Partial means the first 5 digits and that's it - not 7 - it's a factory VW after all

If you have the touchscreen unit it is an RNS 510, if not, you will have the MFD2 - both are DVD based systems but the RNS 510 has a hard drive and you can only use the Sat Nav in the MFD2 when the disc is installed. Have a play with the setup menu - don't see how/why you can't get the relevant postcode search

Try this site for better info about the different systems:

http://vwnavi.com/forum.php

A quick search on eBay should get you an image of your particular model, unless you want to upload a pic yourself here.

Cass
Hi Cass. It's definitely the RNS 510 touchscreen (looked on ebay as you suggested!). When I try to enter a postcode, it just assumes I'm entering a town name, so when I enter AL it'll show Allerton (or whatever) but I can't then access the numbers to do the next bit! I think they're greyed out or otherwise disabled - I'll check this morning).

Edited to say I just checked, and all the numbers are greyed out! Is this a common issue that can be fixed?

·
Honoured Member
2,175 Posts
Hi Cass. It's definitely the RNS 510 touchscreen (looked on ebay as you suggested!). When I try to enter a postcode, it just assumes I'm entering a town name, so when I enter AL it'll show Allerton (or whatever) but I can't then access the numbers to do the next bit! I think they're greyed out or otherwise disabled - I'll check this morning).

Edited to say I just checked, and all the numbers are greyed out! Is this a common issue that can be fixed?
I was quite confused by this when I first tried it, as I started to enter a post code the unit continued as if it was a normal address by changing the town options as I entered the letters.

However when I then entered a number as the third entry (I don't have the car with me at the moment to have a look[it's in the Lakes with my wife, I'm in Aberdeen]), but I fancy there was a button to press, maybe something like "0-9" and then you can input the first number part of the post code. It then offered all the available "2nd number" part of the post code. When you select the correct post code it then offers all the possible streets, then you can select the street you want and then house number.

I think!! This is from memory from a couple of weeks ago when I first tried it.

I must say I'm quite disappointed to find that five year old £150 Navman has a better (full) postcode entry than this very expensive all singing and dancing unit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was quite confused by this when I first tried it, as I started to enter a post code the unit continued as if it was a normal address by changing the town options as I entered the letters.

However when I then entered a number as the third entry (I don't have the car with me at the moment to have a look[it's in the Lakes with my wife, I'm in Aberdeen]), but I fancy there was a button to press, maybe something like "0-9" and then you can input the first number part of the post code. It then offered all the available "2nd number" part of the post code. When you select the correct post code it then offers all the possible streets, then you can select the street you want and then house number.

I think!! This is from memory from a couple of weeks ago when I first tried it.

I must say I'm quite disappointed to find that five year old £150 Navman has a better (full) postcode entry than this very expensive all singing and dancing unit.
Hi filgreen. I already found the 1-9 button, but the actual number buttons are greyed out. I spoke with my local VW today who said a software upgrade would fix this. He said they'd usually try and sell me the disc, but this guy will try and sort out a load from one of their spare discs. Said they'd likley charge just 30 mins labour, as there wasn't much involved except to put in the software CD, then once that's run, put in the maps CD. Sounds reasonable to me, as I probably wouldn't use it if I can't select on postcode, as my Garmin is perfect.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got an update to 2010 spftware/maps at my local VW dealer, and now have the 'full' five-digit postcode search. Took about an hour, and no charge (even though I was told they'd charge £35).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts