Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our car has a little bit of rust on each of the 4 hubs. Nothing awful it just lets the look of the car down a bit.
I need to get some new tyres ordered so I was going to take each wheel off and repaint each hub.
I have seen on other vehicle forums that you can use "Hammerite" to re-paint the hubs. The articles seem to recommend the following process:

"1-Wire brush, brake cleaner first and then hammerrite smooth.
2-Either by brush or spray. Did mine by brush as I feared overspray. Mask off the bleed nipples and any suspect looking bits.
3-Thin the paint down with some brush thinners it goes on so much easier."

Anyone ever done this? Is a really bad idea. and should i just not worry about a bit of superficial rust?
Cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sounds like you're talking calipers too (avoiding bleed nipples). If you are, then it would be worth investigating a specific paint, although I would guess hammerite would do an OK job.

·
Superman
2,258 Posts
Japlac is highly recommended for doing calipers, easily painted on, and long lasting...

Can get red, blue balck etc - it's not with the hammerite in B&Q tho - is near the plasticote....

before and after pics would be greatly appreciated...!

·
108 Posts
i would use caliper paint to take the heat, hammerite will just burn off and you will be back to square one, do it once do it right

graham

·
24 Posts
Banbury,

Had the same problem on my Hubs, I wire brushed them, then applied brake Cleaner, Used Hammerite smooth black, 2 coats
Then started on the Calipers, just brake cleaner on them, then used Hammerite smooth red, temp problem non existant
as it will withstand heat up to 400c i believe, I then used new Brembo stickers, Hey presto............It looks very nice if I may say so.
Or try the Blue hammerite R50 !!!!!!!

Picture of before shot (Grey calipers ) Now RED.

·
Super Moderator
15,678 Posts
Know what you mean about the brake disc hats - mine have been rusting from new and look [email protected] :shock:

Will have to go down the de-rust/repaint route myself as VW won't replace them as "the brake performance is not affected by the problem"

Cheaper manufacturing and cost cutting to blame.

Cass

·
Chairman
19,971 Posts
Don't forget to copper grease the back of the wheels and the wheel studs before you bolt them back on.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mecci. Those wheels look bl**dy marvellous!
Q. Where did you get the Brembo stickers? Are they eBay'able or from a Parts Store?
It looks like I have some work to do. Here are 3 pics from one of my wheels. The other 3 wheels are similarly affected.
View attachment 2 Rusty1.JPG[/attachment:3d6qmjv2]
View attachment 1 Rusty2.JPG[/attachment:3d6qmjv2]
Rusty3.JPG[/attachment:3d6qmjv2]
Note: I am going to paint them when I also get the tyres replaced in 2 weeks - yep likely to be the UHP Grabber based on positive forum feedback.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like somebody already repainted your hubs, mecci. - Very badly. And without removing existing rust. That may be a good reason for using silver Hammerite, provided you remove all the loose rust, since it is said to work over surface rust. But it may react with any traces of the existing paint.

IMHO this should be a separate job from painting the calipers whatever colour you choose.

But, big wheels and small discs don't look good which is a disadvantage of drawing attention to them.....by painting the calipers red, for instance. Again, just my 2p'orth. That said, Banbury has done a beautiful job.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts