Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
Well a brand new V10 lump has arrived from Germany and is awaiting fitting to my Treg (see "dead v10" post)
it'll be nice to have the beast back but how do I go about running it in?
is there a schedule and is there a recomeded first oil change?
cheers
Andy

·
Registered
437 Posts
Good luck with the new engine.

I would advise you to get written instructions for the 'running in' procedure from the supplying dealer as any further warranty claims will need you to prove that you have been 'good' and have shown 'reasonable due care' with the unit. They are likely to point out the running in procedure as specified in your vehicle handbook.

I would say that you let the cold engine idle for a moment (piston crowns come up to temperature within about 20 sec of starting) before starting your journey with gentle acceleration, and keep the rpm low until fully warm , no usage of full power until at least 1,000 miles of a mixture of cold/hot starts to get the proper settling in of all bearings and tolerances, you may have to return to the dealer to get an oil change at maybe 1,500 miles, then you should be ok.

Remember, your oil temp normally sits at 90+ degrees, this is when it's doing its job fully, I would advise light running until this temp is showing, and NO towing. I used to be a TVR Tuscan owner , and those handbuilt engines were a complete nightmare and required the strictest warm up and running in procedure..lol, I tend to apply a similar level of mechanical sympathy to all my cars after all, metal is metal and it can't hurt. A good running in routine will add years to the long term life of your unit.

Are they replacing the 'whole engine' inc turbo's ect?

There used to be an old wives tale that all good diesels need at least 20k miles to be 'run in' I doubt that this is true, follow your dealers instruction to the letter anyways....good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi

well the advise from the dealer was that the units are run in at the factory.
I was sceptical but it did come prebuilt and running out of the box (new alternator, pumps, injectors etc)
they recomend only an oil change at 5000
turbos were replaced 6 months ago under recall, so all in all everythinks new!
Andy

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
I'd still follow Linn's advice for the first 1000 miles and gradually increase the revs over the next 1,000. After that you should be flying.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
s4 - I remember reading the same once, however still feel a little sceptical myself - I would personally take it fairly easy for the first 1000 miles - by easy I dont mean slow, just no 'Sports' mode and no flooring it. Also an oil change at a 1000 miles can only be a good thing too

Kaine

1 - 5 of 5 Posts