Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Work are in the process of renewing our fleet of cars and all the new ones are being supplied with 'run flats'. I like the idea in principle, but the cost to do this privately would probably not suit my budget.

Has anyone tried these on the Treg yet and if so, have you any recommendations ?

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
Scotty,just curious as to why your work is doing this.
Surely it must cost more?
What is their thinking?

·
96 Posts
Just replaced one on my Wifes BM 118i - bizarrely developed a huge wear problem on the outside edge, geometry appears fine. Tyre man says run flats are notorious for it. Good job I drove her car, couldn't tell from driving, but when I got out of the drivers side with the wheels turned to that side as I parked I noticed the steel reinforcement poking out of the tread. Drove home very slowly and got in the Treg!

Cost ?104 so a bit more than a standard tyre. There used to be problems with availability, but they did the new one next day, so that appears not to be the case now.

I like the idea of runflats, but would prefer tyre pressure monitoring with it - the BMW doesn't have it. Handling can be a bit rough as the sidewalls are very stiff - I don't notice as I used to have an Audi S4 with the famed Audi suspension, plus drive track cars.

Runflats AND a spacesaver would be brill.

Jim

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
Poor handling and less comfortable due to the very stiff side walls required to keep the wheel off the ground when the air rushes out.

And its bluddy inconvenient if the replacement tyre is not readily available from stock [there have been several tyres shortages for Minis for example] or the tyre depot is closed at the weekend as it effectively puts your car off the road.

·
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for the delay and thanks for your replies.

Even though my car has TPM, I think I'll stick with normal tyres for the time being and see how the ones at work perform.
I was always under the impression that run flats were safer if there is a TPM system fitted, otherwise a novice or non attentive driver could end up in a high speed bend with a tyre that has reduced performance. I'll be guided on that one if it's a misconception as I've got no actual experience of them.

It's the 530d BMW estates that we are getting and I don't know if they've got TPM.

Nimrod - They are changing the fleet from petrol to diesel to be seen to be "green", however I don't know if safety is the main consideration behind opting for run flats, or some other obscure reasoning. One can never tell with our lot and whatever their reasoning, I'm a million miles from having any say in what we end up with.

Scotty.

·
Elite Member
1,283 Posts
I found this article which seems to answer some of your questions Scotty.

http://www.bmwcarclub.co.za/2008/12/run-flat-101/

It also differentiates between TPM (monitoring) and TPC (control).
Looks like at least TPM is needed for run flats.

It also mentions that the 5 series seem to still have a space saver spare as back up

".... Note: 5 Series (E60) 530i, 530d, 545i and 550i are the only models to have Run Flat technology and an emergency spare wheel" - might be worth checking this out.

As far as the ride and stability round corners is concerned, I would probably trust BMW more than anyone else to have checked that out carefully before committing almost their whole range to the run flat option.

HTH

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
It will be interesting to see if your firm has turbo problems on the 530d at around the 60-70k mark. I know one fleet of 30+ that had failures on every car - 330d Tourers! And it has been a widely reported failing over the years.

The problem is they get hammered and people switch off without letting the engine idle for a short while to let it cool a bit first, so the now stationary oil in the already hot turbo gets superheated as the heat sink effect occurs and carbonises, thus b*ggering up the bearings.

·
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shytot - Excellent link
I need to give it a more thorough read later when the house is quieter, but it looks as if the BMW system may be rim specific, so no good for the Treg ?

Noobytoogy - Fully agree, My wife's employer changed to 530d's a few years ago and yes, loads of early turbo failures.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts