Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been offered a roof mounted DVD player for my 07 Altitude and have been told that the wiring is already in the roof ready for a DVD player to be installed . Can anybody confirm this before I buy it.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
not sure tbh, however I remember the wiring for the multi CD Player in the boot wasn't a standard fit so would be suprised if the roof wiring was there as standard
: could be wrong though

·
mySantaFe
1,056 Posts
Any more recent news on this one?

I am thinking about installing a roof mounted DVD player to keep my daughter quiet on long journeys.

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
We had an aftermarket unit fitted by the dealer when we bought ours. My understanding was that they needed to remove the headlining to install the wiring, which I guess you would need to do anyway to install the screen......anyway, I would say that it isn't pre-wired...in fact, as I remember it the VW roof mount unit is very bulky and includes a whole moulding running along the centre of the roof which probably helps conceal the wiring??

Sorry, not much help really!!

·
Elite Deserter
2,182 Posts
I have the factory fit roof mount DVD.
Bear in mind the factory unit has a second battery in the spare wheel well.
I'll take a pic of the roof module and stick it up in a bit.

·
Elite Deserter
2,182 Posts
As promised:

Attachments

·
mySantaFe
1,056 Posts
Thanks,

Sounds more difficult that I hoped it would be. Is the factory unit expensive like usual?

·
Elite Deserter
2,182 Posts
About £700.00 if I recall correctly

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Just out of interest, mine came with the factory DVD like hehey has and when I first had the beeasty my kids loved it.

Now 12 months on they hardly bother with
It.

Sign of the times.

·
Elite Deserter
2,182 Posts
In 18 months of owning the car, the DVD as been used about 4 times.

·
Elite Member
2,327 Posts
got the twin screens in ours & i was the last to use it ,watched a film whilst wife & daughter were shopping
bag of minstrels ,a mcdonalds coffee & Training Day with denzil washington ,faultless !
made a conscious decision when daughter turned teen to abstain from multi person shopping jaunts

·
Elite Deserter
2,182 Posts
I might park up and watch a film in some car park, at least I'd be getting my moneys worth !

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
A cheeper option if you are prepared to canibalise your headrests is sinking LCD screens into them.
It cost me less than £200 for 2 x Veba screens, 2 x wireless headphones and an Iphone RCA cable so I could feed them Video from my Iphone.
Fitting them wasn't the easiest thing in the world but having done it I think they look great. I'm reasonably handy with a screwdriver but I really wouldn't of wanted to touch the headliner and start drilling holes in the roof!

There's a 'how to' here: http://www.mytreg.com/index.php?/topic/7875-todays-project-headrest-monitors/

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
The zip-able covers are execllent touch....

·
mySantaFe
1,056 Posts
The point about them only getting used a few times a year is a good point.

I have been using the DVD player in the front during lunch.

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
That flip down could be very irritating in the rear view mirror whereas the headrest models keep it all nice and tidy.

·
Elite Deserter
2,182 Posts
That flip down could be very irritating in the rear view mirror whereas the headrest models keep it all nice and tidy.
You cant actually see it in the mirroe Noobs

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
You do get an irritating constantly changing glow in the back of the cabin at night though and on long journeys it's a bit heavy on tired eyes. And also the roof mount does impair the view out of the rear screen when its down.

That said I could turn it off...and fold it up......

if I was purchasing, it would be on my list for-would be nice but not a necessity .

·
Super Moderator
15,682 Posts
Not going down this route - have asked the dog and she doesn't like it, keeps her awake apparently

Cass

1 - 20 of 21 Posts