Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
So, engines all back in and car all back together. Delays with him having other jobs booked in already etc and fitting mine in around them and then Xmas etc.

Anyway, Friday, he turned it over without fuel quickly and said no horrible noises. So least I know it turns.

Turned out the wiring loom was slightly different on the replacement engine to what I had, even though the same engine, so he had swapped all that out too.

Now when trying to start it, gets this fault so he's trying to work out the cause of it

Can't wait for it back, sick of driving the astra around with my daughter squashed behind me haha
Tablet computer Publication Gadget Rectangle Communication Device

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

·
Mechanical Guru
2,968 Posts
Usually the injector harness. Check the connector is fitting correctly and also check the pin outs for each half if you've swopped it for a different version.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Yeh, he's going to have a look and see what's up like.

I've been seeing those code a fair bit when I Google, and even people who haven't had an engine swap seem to have this issue of the loom.

What exactly breaks do you know? I never found that answer, other than replaced the internal bit under the rocker.

I'm not 100% on which exact bits he changed over other than what he told me, but I don't think the internal part, so I'm assuming the one off my other engine is going to fit anyway.

I can only hope anyway

·
Mechanical Guru
2,968 Posts
Injector loom failures are generally age related insulation breakdown causing shorts to earth, misfire or non start. Others due to connection errors within the connector and sometimes just poor connector seating.
In any case replacement is the only sensible option. Not sure about current price but they didn't used to be hugely expensive.

You might also have to check out the wiring back to the ECU.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Well, fingers crossed the loom out of mine is still ok, and is easily swapped over and that's all my problem is. The price is racking up now lol

Want the damn thing back to just use and forget about all this hassle now lol

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
So, progress on it. He changed the loom. He said someone had tried to remove it the wrong way and snapped a wire and tried to bodge it.

So he swapped out my injector loom. Got it running.

However it cane with a James bond smokescreen from the exhaust.

Fault code mentioned injector 2.

So he's waiting for a new seal to cone tomorrow morning and swapping out one of my other engines injectors as should work fine as they did before and we hope this is the problem.

He did suggest that it possibly could be the loom off my old engine too.

Obviously it's inside the rocker cover isn't it with all that heat and oil, I think he was getting at the insulation inside could of broke down, gone brittle or whatever and been disrupted when doing the swap. But said better do injector first to rule that out coz obviously this new engines unknown.

But atleast it runs anyway lol.

So he hopes to have it all back up and sorted tomorrow and back to me so I can try get an MOT on it

41 - 46 of 46 Posts