Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
since it's not two flat mating surfaces I can understand the reluctance to use rtv. The channel in the valve cover is going to make it very difficult to get a decent seal and not splurge rtv out into the engine, which will eventually cause problems elsewhere

·
Super Moderator
15,867 Posts
The gasket seems designed the fit the channel so it’s either the gasket, RTV or a combination of both to seat the gasket 🤔

·
Registered
325 Posts
VW part No. 070 103 469 B part
There's not many options out there. Elring looks like the best bet or there's a Vaico offering.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I have actually already used just RTV twice the first 2 times I did it, with little success. Seems there may have not been enough, or too much in spots.

I'm partially wondering if part of this rtv off one of these times is what's causing my oil pressure problem I have, some fell off inside and now blocking the pickup.

The cover is only off again this time as it was suggested the bearing part of the oil cooler could have been blocked, so as I removed intake manifold it became apparent the gasket had fell over sideways

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
VW part No. 070 103 469 B part
There's not many options out there. Elring looks like the best bet or there's a Vaico offering.
Thank you. Looked for that part number and it bring Suo a gasket that looks much better

Doesn't seem like it has that really high wall to it like the one I have now

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
There isn't a gasket listed cylinder head; cylinder head cover Touareg (TOUA) 2005 year Volkswagen EUROPA 103060 but they do list a tube of silicone sealant ??
Yeh, I took a gasket off that was covered in rtv, and looked exactly the same as the one in my latest picture. It it was knackered and was a bit quick to bin it regrettably. Wish I'd kept hold of it now for the time being for reference haha.

VW did say there's no gasket listed. They didn't even have silicone listed. They just said I'd have to buy a new cover which would come with a new gasket, but I most definitely couldnt buy a gasket on its own.

I have seen elsewhere to use rtv, and my local parts shop said the same.

I did it with rtv twice and it just didn't work. I'm half expecting that a bunch of the shite fell in the engine when torquing it up and blocked up somewhere and is what's causing my oil pressure problem. I have had mentioned to me about vacume leak could cause low oil pressure. The fact this rocker has never sealed properly (eBay seller confirmed they mis sold the gasket to me, it was listed wrong) I'm praying is my oil pressure issue once it's sealed properly

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yeh, I took a gasket off that was covered in rtv, and looked exactly the same as the one in my latest picture. It it was knackered and was a bit quick to bin it regrettably. Wish I'd kept hold of it now for the time being for reference haha.

VW did say there's no gasket listed. They didn't even have silicone listed. They just said I'd have to buy a new cover which would come with a new gasket, but I most definitely couldnt buy a gasket on its own.
That sounds the same as the rocker cover on the 1.4l 16v engine fitted in the 95~99 Polo the gasket only comes with a complete rocker cover

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
That sounds the same as the rocker cover on the 1.4l 16v engine fitted in the 95~99 Polo the gasket only comes with a complete rocker cover
Yeh. My mate works at vauxhall on the parts dept and said the astra H is like that. You need to buy the whole thing which isn't cheap. Crazy isn't it

·
Registered
230 Posts
It makes sense for the bean counters running the spares departments, why sell a £5 gasket when you can sell a complete cover for £40

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Haha yeh.

He's just left vauxhall for a shift to mercedes.

I asked him over the weekend a rough idea off top of his head and he said £200 rang a bell for the top cover with gasket

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Thanks. I've just ordered one yesterday that looks pretty much the same as that, £47 I think it was.

Shame because Ive just spent £136 at VW for the new rocker bolts and the oil neck gasket.

Few bolts snapped on me, and after a real good clean if all remaining bolts I found a bunch of cracks in the threads, wasn't risking any more snapped ones so forked out.

Now I'm going to have a bunch of these spare haha

·
Super Moderator
15,867 Posts
Let us know how you get on 👍

·
Super Moderator
15,867 Posts
Product Motor vehicle Sleeve Font Screenshot

Found this in FB today 🤔

edit - this guy bought new rocket cover and gasket from VW and fitted it himself 👍

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
So, the new gasket came. Fits perfect. So that's all resolve that. I'll attach pics

Ran he engine briefly with no oil filter with the cap off, oil pumps and fills the chamber fairly quick now, which it didn't before. It used to sort of dribble in.

Still flashing up oil pressure. But if I leave it to warm up, I fear the turbos starting to sound a bit noisy. So turn it off. Guessing lack of oil.

I know a lad who does fair bit of VW work, so think I'm going to get the car transported to him to sort out

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
So, garage got it today, say the top end looks like it's been running dry for a while, pressure gauge gets to around 20psi, doesn't change on revs. Just stays the same.

Anyone know a reliable seller of engines incase this it too far gone?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts