Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After some opinions please.

VW, my local car shop, and euro car parts all say for a R5 2004 that it is rtv for the gasket. Even though I took off a gasket. It all looked shitty and stupidly threw it out as looks like been done before and was caked in rtv.

But, I found sone gaskets made by elring on eBay. So got one. But I'm having issues with it.

You'll see on the pictures on the back and the front at the bottom of the arc it doesn't reach as though it's too short. If you push it down to meet flush with the block, it distorts it.

I'm having trouble getting the collars to fit in properly through the casing when the gasket is there. As though the gasket doesn't go into the holes properly. But I can clearly get a bolt collar through the gasket with room to spare.

Has anyone successfully used one of these gaskets, or do I just need rtv? I have already done it twice with rtv to which it seems I had problems of the rtv getting in the holes and causing issues locking it down. I've already used this gasket once Abd on the intake manifold side, the gasket just flipped sideways and was welcomed I think from here, with plumes of exhaust gas crap.

Never had any of this hassle when I've done one of these on my old BMW haha
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Bumper
Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood
Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Tread Wheel
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Wood Rim
Fluid Finger Liquid Nail Thumb
Hood Automotive tire Guitar accessory Musical instrument Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Bicycle part Grey Motor vehicle Rim
Helmet Automotive tire Wood Bicycle part Rim

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe try an OEM gasket, especially given the number of problems trying the eBay one?
I've already been to VW as I was getting some other bits, and they said there isn't one. I'd mentioned my local car parts shop had told me to use rtv, he said that's what id need.

I also spoke to a mate who works at vauxhall parts dept and he confirmed some cars do in fact come from factory with a gasket, but don't sell a gasket for that particular car

Unless anyone knows of a part number, then I'm a bit stumped as the guy said there's no gasket on the diagrams.

I'm just thinking now too (print offs are In the car) but I'm sure on the VW service sheets I printed off, that also doesn't list or show a gasket anywhere.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Elring are usually very good. OEM for many manufactures

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Elring are usually very good. OEM for many manufactures
That's why I got it.

1, I hadn't found any others anyway,
2, was a brand I'd heard of.

I have messaged the seller on the off chance I have a dodgey one, but I know it's intented to fit my engine as the curves on the front and back are perfect, other than how far down it ends.

I also feel the gasket is too tall, so it's trying to squash too much and topples over, either sliding in or out as I'm tightening

·
Registered
325 Posts
I had the valve cover off my old Saab many times and the gasket was a similar complex shape.
Manual stated to use acid free vaseline to hold it in place but it never really worked properly. I never used rtv but small dabs of a Loctite high temp gasket maker. The worry is always you use too much and it finds its way into the engine and subsequently blocks the oil pickup.

Have you tried warming the gasket in hot water before you fit it?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great thank you.

Never thought about soaking it in hot water but I shall try that actually.

Don't know why it never crossed my mind.

I'm still convinced the walls of this gasket are too tall and are effectively making it top heavy and toppling it over

·
Super Moderator
15,867 Posts
Decent pictorial DIY write up here but having had a quick look through it, I haven't seen any comments about problems in locating the emplacement gasket 🤔

·
Super Moderator
15,867 Posts
Video here - showing to fit gasket on cam cover and not on cylinder head 👍

·
Registered
325 Posts
Doesn't look in any way tight in the video.
Looking again at your pictures - the channel the gasket sits in in the valve cover doesn't look deep enough to accommodate the gasket. Maybe it's just the angle if your pictures but the gasket in the video sits right down in the channel.

Looking at the Elring catalogue you need artical No. 246.520.
GTIN/EAN 4041248592663
Are you sure that's what you've got?

Rectangle Font Parallel Auto part Brand

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Doesn't look in any way tight in the video.
Looking again at your pictures - the channel the gasket sits in in the valve cover doesn't look deep enough to accommodate the gasket. Maybe it's just the angle if your pictures but the gasket in the video sits right down in the channel.

Looking at the Elring catalogue you need artical No. 246.520.
GTIN/EAN 4041248592663
Are you sure that's what you've got?

View attachment 37579
Tha is for that. I'll have a look for that gasket, but here's the eBay link for what I have

What you say seems to be right too. It's as though the gasket doesn't sit great in the channel. Had a closer look today and it seems that the rings of gaskets need a notch in the corners so that they sit in position better, allowing a little flex in it, meaning the straight sections would probably sit in deeper, meaning I would have this 'wall' of gasket that's getting top heavy and buckling under pressure off the bolts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also I think mines a 7la BAC

just checked on eBay again for that code you mentioned, the description says it's for

VW - BNZ

VW - BPC

VW - BPD

VW - BPE

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thought there. Think I know the answer mind.

Bolts are supposed to be 15nm. I couldn't even get too 10nm without it collapsing.

Given the height of this wall on the gasket, should I reduce the torque?

Guess not or it'll probably leak, but I'm at a loss with this gasket

·
Registered
325 Posts
Also I think mines a 7la BAC

just checked on eBay again for that code you mentioned, the description says it's for

VW - BNZ

VW - BPC

VW - BPD

VW - BPE

The Ering catalogue lists the engine code as BAC, BPE

I think if you're going to have to mess with it to get it to fit and or not torque it correctly, it's going to leak.
Saying that 15NM isn't easy to measure without a small torque wrench. That's a "just nipped up" to me..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Ering catalogue lists the engine code as BAC, BPE

I think if you're going to have to mess with it to get it to fit and or not torque it correctly, it's going to leak.
Saying that 15NM isn't easy to measure without a small torque wrench. That's a "just nipped up" to me..
Yeh, your right, it probably will leak. I don't know what else to try though to be honest. More so because VW have told me no gasket exists to buy.

It just seems like its supposed to be rtv,. It I'm finding hard to believe that's going to be a good seal

Yeh, I have a small enough torque wrench for 15nm, and yeh, it is just nipped up tbh. But with this gasket, and the height of it, it feels pretty tight pulling down, but didn't even get to 10nm before collapsing.

It seems it.onky really collapses on the intake manifold side, and on that same corner on that manifold side off of the arcs.

At a bit of a loss with it really.

I can't imagine I have a faulty gasket, how could it be. They will just all be in a mould, so all the same.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don't suppose anyone knows of any places to buy VW parts from without going via a dealership and their prices do they?

Or anyone know how much the rocker cover costs from VW as I'm assuming the gaskets going to come with it

·
Super Moderator
15,867 Posts
In your first post, you say that VW and other reputable sources say to use RTV sealant and you’re not happy with the aftermarket gasket you have bought. I’d go with what VW say as you appear to be going round in circles to seal a rocker cover gasket.

It’s highly unlikely you will need a new rocker cover unless it is warped so why even think about buying one 🤔

Several members have given you assistance here and personally, I’d just buy the sealant and go with that 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Klewy
1 - 20 of 39 Posts