Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Adding to the numerous threads about upgrading 7P RNS850 to run Android.

I bought a box (brand new) from ebay - only after stripping the WHOLE car did I realise the unit didn't even power on. Brought it back to the test bench - again - no power. Damn.

(This was for the black-box which sits in between the RNS850 and the Screen via LVDS, and taps CAN using provided loom at a module under the steering wheel - easy fit!)

Here's where I need help. In my research into doing this, I found one user who had found a REPLACEMENT HEAD (so replaced the whole screen) - which - for the sake of number of wires, seems a much nicer option. The model that user showed also had the LVDS INPUT for feed-through of the existing RNS850 (since checking oil is no longer allowed at the engine and must be done via the lectrics!)

Now I'm trying to find THAT unit again - and it seems to have disapeared completely - all manner of search terms just don't find the thread. All I remember is it was linked quite early on (first page?) and there were photos of it - it was a whole new screen, with Android built in, and an LVDS interface to connect / control the existing RNS850.

Can ANYONE remember seeing this? Was it some fever-dream?

Thanks!! :)

R

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
18 Posts
Yes... it was probably a dream.
From all of my reading I don't think there as been a single unit that peacefully co-exists with the Tregs system. You will lose some if not many features for the use of CarPlay or AndroidAuto. Most have just learned to live with this fact.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I remember that thread. The OP was initially singing its praises only subsequently discover that many functions didn't work. The RNS is to integrated into the vehicle to be replaced. The best option imho is the Naviplus. The Mergescreens system looks like a standard interface box with maybe easier to connect looms. Not aware of anyone fitting one though.

VW Touareg [2010-2017] - Carplay module – Merger City (mergescreens.com)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts