Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Member
Joined
·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the risk of probably repeating what someone else has asked, but can't find definitive answer on a search, can anyone tell me if there is a version 4 maps for the RNS510 MFD3 touchscreen unit and if so does it allow 7 digit postcodes. Dealer doesn't seem to have a clue what I'm talking about!! Going in tomorrow to get some rework done so hopingto tackle them head on.

Thanks
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
15,678 Posts
Can help in part - yes there is a Version 4 now out but sadly my dealer said I was only entitled to a Version 3 due to the chassis/build date of my new Treg


A new Golf GTI Mk VI had a Version 4 disc at the same dealer.

Check out this site for more RNS510 info - see FAQ for firmware updates and Version 4 threads:

http://vwnavi.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51

Cass
 

·
Member
Joined
·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Cass, I have had a look at the VW navi site. It's still not 100% clear if version 4 allows 7 digit postcodes which is the main reason I was pushing them for an upgrade. I spoke to a guy I know on the service desk and they are still waiting for a copy of the DVD to come in but when it does he is going to call me and give me a shot to install it on the HDD. Can't keep the disc unfortunately. The salesmen don't have a clue and make no effort to find out.

Had the car in for some re-work yesterday after the 'dinked' it pre delivery. They have made a very poor attempt to repair it and so the saga continues. Think they got one of these 'chips away' guys who has basically sprayed it using an aerosol, outside in bad light and with little or no prep work. Result - a very poor job from a top dealership that you would expect better from.

:x
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
15,678 Posts
andy5mart said:
Thanks Cass, I have had a look at the VW navi site. It's still not 100% clear if version 4 allows 7 digit postcodes which is the main reason I was pushing them for an upgrade. I spoke to a guy I know on the service desk and they are still waiting for a copy of the DVD to come in but when it does he is going to call me and give me a shot to install it on the HDD. Can't keep the disc unfortunately. The salesmen don't have a clue and make no effort to find out.

Had the car in for some re-work yesterday after the 'dinked' it pre delivery. They have made a very poor attempt to repair it and so the saga continues. Think they got one of these 'chips away' guys who has basically sprayed it using an aerosol, outside in bad light and with little or no prep work. Result - a very poor job from a top dealership that you would expect better from.

:x
Shocking - was this on a new car ?

I think I'd be demanding a full VW bodyshop respray. Bumper off of course as the overspray can get everywhere - I know from experience. Cosmetic repairs do not work or last properly.

Cass
 

·
Member
Joined
·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No the car is second hand but after I agreed the deal it was 2 weeks until I collected it because I was away working. When I picked it up the salesman was attempting to mask the damage with touch up and colour polish. With hindsight I should have refused the car until it was complete but the 'big kid' inside me just wanted it home. It is fairly minor but it looks worse now than it did.

David Blunkett's dog would spot it it's so bad!!
 

·
'Ow bist?
Joined
·
1,084 Posts
andy5mart said:
No the car is second hand but after I agreed the deal it was 2 weeks until I collected it because I was away working. When I picked it up the salesman was attempting to mask the damage with touch up and colour polish. With hindsight I should have refused the car until it was complete but the 'big kid' inside me just wanted it home. It is fairly minor but it looks worse now than it did.

David Blunkett's dog would spot it it's so bad!!
Is it a VW Approved Used? Don't forget the 30-day exchange option ...
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
1,307 Posts
Hi all, sorry to jump in here but it seemed as good a place as any!! i picked my new car up today, it is a 57 reg and when i was playing with it this afternoon i ejected the dvd for the sat nav, it says version one on it, is that correct for a car of this age if new cars are on version 4??
 

·
Member
Joined
·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
stu said:
Hi all, sorry to jump in here but it seemed as good a place as any!! i picked my new car up today, it is a 57 reg and when i was playing with it this afternoon i ejected the dvd for the sat nav, it says version one on it, is that correct for a car of this age if new cars are on version 4??
I would have to think no way is that correct. My 57 plate came with version 3 installed and with the disc in the with the handbook. I would talk to your dealer and make sure you get the correct one. Even push him to load version 4. They may not give you the V4 disc but at least get the V3 from them.
I spoke to a guy I know in the dealer about getting me a shot of the latest disc and he said they just had it coming in so I waited a couple of days and got it from him, only to find what they thought was the latest was only the V3!!! Don't think they have a clue half the time.

Andy
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
1,307 Posts
thanks for that Andy, i thought i should be higher in the version numbers. Could it be possible to have a different version installed and just a copy of version one in the machine? You will have to excuse me with my limited knowledge as i have never had anything like this in a car before. Do you need the DVD in the slot to run the sat nav or is it installed on the unit? is ther a way of finding out which version you have installed? Yes i know i am a pain, but we all have to start somewhere!!
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
1,307 Posts
i bought this car from an independant dealer who sells German cars, not a main VW dealer, but i hope that because it is still fairly new and under manufacturers warranty still that the main dealer will help me out.
 

·
Member
Joined
·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
stu said:
thanks for that Andy, i thought i should be higher in the version numbers. Could it be possible to have a different version installed and just a copy of version one in the machine? You will have to excuse me with my limited knowledge as i have never had anything like this in a car before. Do you need the DVD in the slot to run the sat nav or is it installed on the unit? is ther a way of finding out which version you have installed? Yes i know i am a pain, but we all have to start somewhere!!
Stu, You are not a pain at all, that's the whole point of these forums isn't it? to share info and ideas. Having just had my Treg for a couple of months I'm a long way off being an expert on the subject so I'm happy to be corrected by anyone but I know that once you have loaded the disc contents onto the hard drive (it does it automatically when you put the disc in first time) you can take the disc out and subsequently use the slot for CD's or DVD's simultaneously with the sat nav in operation so it is possible you have version 3 loaded and that they have just given you a version 1 disc. This is likely. There is a way you can check which version you have loaded but I can't for the life of me remember how to do it. There is information on how to do it elsewhere on this forum as I found it myself a couple of months back. If I find it I'll try and post a link.

Andy
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
1,307 Posts
nice one cheers mate, when did post code searches become available as i have no facility for this
 

·
Member
Joined
·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
stu said:
nice one cheers mate, when did post code searches become available as i have no facility for this
Well I can't answer that exactly, but I know that my version 3 allows limited post code entry (5 digit I think) which is in effect useless!! Apparently the latest Version 4 is no better and I think I saw a post on here talking about a version 5 but I think it may be for another unit (an MFD2??) which I believe to be different from the RNS 510. Way too complicated I think. I don't really need Sat Nav that often, but I think it would only be usefull to me if I could put in the full post code.
Andy
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
15,678 Posts
Agree that the unit should have 7 digit post code searching but the 5 digit is still effective. I've put several post code searches in my unit and it brings up the relevant street address options as soon as the 5th digit is entered. As long as you know the full address, it shouldn't be a problem


There is a Version 5 disc but this is currently a European version and not yet available in the UK:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7285

Cass
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top