Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what the latest disc version is for the RNS510 touch-screen navigation system? At a recent service, I asked the dealer to install the latest software and the disc left in the vehicle shows it to be version 3. I seem to recall however, having seen a posting on this site that there is now a version 4.

On a similar topic, does anyone have an update on when the RNS510 will accept UK postcodes. There was talk a few months ago that VW were in discussion with the manufacturers, to have this anomoly rectified.

Your advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

John Sangster

·
Registered
87 Posts
John

Had a go of sat nav a new treg in local dealer showroom last week (while waiting for mine to be delivered), and it accepts the first 4 digits of postcode....dont know if that is a development or was the existing spec anyway....

Would also be interested to know if people know full 7 digit entry postcode is due sometime

john

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes John, I would say that you are brave choosing white, but perhaps you are anticipating Californian type sunshine, when global warming fully kicks in.

Out of interest, I called the VW Luxury After Sales Support Centre, who do not know the current software disc version and even more worrying, said that they have no way of finding out. They suggested that I contact my local dealer (they would, wouldn't they) and when I told them that I had already done so, without success, they simply apologised....extraordinary.

I understand that my unit accepts the first 4 digits of the postcode, which at least gets me to the right county, but I am amazed that VW can accept this anomoly from their supplier of the navigation system. I am told that the nav. system was designed for the German market, where 7 digit numerical postcodes are used. I now use my windscreen mounted GARMIN navigator, that behaves faultlessly.

Thanks and regards

John

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
The 4 digit postcode is truely shocking, and got me in several scrapes over the last couple of months. That said i have now started using a slightly different method with better results.

I tend to put in the town name and then the street and then the no , etc. This seems to be better. As an example, two weeks ago i was up in Burton upon trent trying to find an office of hours. Post code got me about .5 of a mile away. Also the street within post code method didn't give me the street i needed. However using the town =Burton, street = xxx got me to the door.

Strange but true.

I also keep a 4 tr old tom tom in the glove box for anything trickier.

Whilst on the subjet, the three routes options is plain daft, normally gives 3 routes but only colour codes 2 on the map. Also, the manual doesn't state what colour means what, eg shortest, fastest, wierdest, etc

BTW this is on a 510 using version 3

1 - 4 of 4 Posts