Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello forum, having read a post about rns 850 upgrades I was advised to email vag-technik as he was the man with the answers.
I have purchased a firmware update and map updates from him. He has sent me 3x sd cards and told me to contact him when I have received them and he will give me instructions . I have sent many emails and no reply from him. Any idea's on how to do this would be appreciated.
1x sd says 'use first'
1x says nothing
1x
says "use last"
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have the instruction from them but the PDF's are too big to attach if you PM your email I can send them via that

·
Super Moderator
15,928 Posts
What email address do you have for him 🤔

He’s quite pedantic about you sticking precisely to his instructions and he should make himself available to talk you through any issues.

The firmware SD is the first update, maps SD second and activation SD third.

You need to hook the car up to a battery charger throughout the process as it can drain the battery during the process which can take over 1hr to complete. Do not switch the unit off or interrupt the process until you have fully completed the installation.

I’ve also got the instructions on email should you require them 🤔

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello forum, having read a post about rns 850 upgrades I was advised to email vag-technik as he was the man with the answers.
I have purchased a firmware update and map updates from him. He has sent me 3x sd cards and told me to contact him when I have received them and he will give me instructions . I have sent many emails and no reply from him. Any idea's on how to do this would be appreciated.
1x sd says 'use first'
1x says nothing
1x
says "use last"
Thanks in advance
If you don’t mind me asking, how did you get in touch to buy the updates? I’ve been reading they’ve been closed?

·
Super Moderator
15,928 Posts
He closed his eBay shop but started selling again direct during lockdown. I have read that he has been difficult to contact so please post an update if/when you get any response 👍

·
Super Moderator
15,928 Posts
Yes I’ve seen that link previously on FB but have no personal experience or offering and updating - anyone bought from here and can comment 🤔

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does anyone know if an official RNS850 2021/22 V15 Europe map has been released as I've spotted this link and not sure if it's a genuine new map update after V14 which I already have installed

and this one

·
Mechanical Guru
2,970 Posts
Has anyone else used satnav shop (link above ^^^) and have any contact details for him other than email?

I have bought and installed the latest map offering but the SD card to activate them doesn't work!
I now have no navigation. 😠
I've emailed four days ago and messaged via the web inquiry form. He's not responding 🙄

·
Lifelong Motorhead
2,991 Posts
Has anyone else used satnavishop (link above ^^^) and have any contact details for him other than email?

I have bought and installed the latest map offering but the SD card to activate them doesn't work!
I now have no navigation. 😠
I've emailed four days ago and messaged via the web inquiry form. He's not responding 🙄
That's where this thread's OP started from but eventually got response and the upgrade completed.

·
Mechanical Guru
2,970 Posts
Yes a similar issue but appears to be a different supplier.

Why on earth don't these people include a phone number or at least reply to their emails daily. Also they just send 3 SD cards in an envelope with no info on the procedure.

I hope I'm wrong but it makes you think there's something dodgy about the seller.

·
Mechanical Guru
2,970 Posts
Update.. It took 6 days but eventually got an email reply. Relieved that there is some support.
Just a brief message from the seller asking me to delete the Navigation database and also the Nav HDD partition then reinstall the new maps.

Having done that I'm left with exactly the same result, NO navigation! 🙄

·
Super Moderator
15,928 Posts
chaser - did you have to provide your chassis number to the seller when you bought the update. I think alarm bells would be ringing and I’d be asking for a new update to try that instead 🤔

·
Mechanical Guru
2,970 Posts
[/QUOTE]
chaser - did you have to provide your chassis number to the seller when you bought the update. I think alarm bells would be ringing and I’d be asking for a new update to try that instead 🤔
No Cass I wasn't asked to provide a chassis number.
Must admit that I'm really at the edge of my comfort zone with this.
I don't know for sure but thought maybe the activation process retrieved the chassis number from the vehicle ECU or other module.

I agree with you, the logical next step is to return the SD cards and try another set and have hinted to this in another email.
I'm just letting him take the lead on it at the moment as I need to be careful that he doesn't suggest that I'm responsible in some way.

Will see what the seller proposes, hopefully he sees it the same way.

·
Registered
280 Posts
When I updated mine it certainly needed the VIN to be supplied for the activation card to work

·
Super Moderator
15,928 Posts
chaser - when I updated my maps a couple of years ago from Vag Technik, I had to provide my chassis number to get the correct activation code and he provided comprehensive instructions with a step by step photo guide. He also was available to contact via email during the install and I needed him to confirm the final phase when my unit didn’t immediately boot up upon completion. It’s a pity he isn’t around any more but it does seem like there are others who are selling the same type of 3 x SD card update (firmware/maps software/activation code).

Hopefully the seller will me through with a solution. I think I still have the instructions on email if you want a copy for reference - PM me if you want them emailed 👍

·
Mechanical Guru
2,970 Posts
Thanks all for your replies. I saw that Vagtechnik is selling on eBay but went with this seller because of the link earlier in this thread for latest V15.
For now I'll wait to see what he comes back with. It may be that his activation is different as regards detecting the vin. and since he's asked me to delete everything and reinstall I get the impression that he thinks the issue is with the maps card anyway. It's just frustratingly slow communicating via email.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts