Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the RNS2 I cant find a way of turning the radio off whilst I am using the SatNav - the only option I seem to have is to turn the Radio volume down to zero.
Is this the only way?

Also, I assume that there is no way of getting postcodes on this unit? I only have the 2003 software - does the later versions offer postcodes?

Thanks!

·
749 Posts
I have 04/05 cd and also bought the 2009 set.

Both of the above will allow you to enter partial post code, that is to say if you are entering e14 2ax, it allows you to enter e14 2.

To enter the post code just enter it at the same point you would enter the road name, the sat nav can pick up on what you are entering.

House numbers are still in ranges on the 2009 media, you can put the individual number you want, but it will default to a range in which that number is contained.

The 2009 media also has iTMC enabled, this allows for the sat nav to configure a route takeing traffic and congestion into account, it will also dynamically re-route, thats assuming the signal is upto date and there is an alternative route...... in a perfect world !!!

Before you ask, the iTMC signal is broadcast silently on fm, so you dont get to hear it, i think it may be something to do with traffic master, either way its free

I would like to say all RN S2 will pick up the signal, but i am a little reserved as there may be firmware issue with pre 2005 units, i know for sure 2005+ works as thats what my one is.

2009 comes in a dvd case with two disks, one for UK and Ireland, the other is for Major roads in Europe cost ?122 deliverd from http://navigation.teleatlas.com/en/shop/

Hope this of some help if not completely the answer you were looking for

Furion

·
318 Posts
harry66 said:
With the RNS2 I cant find a way of turning the radio off whilst I am using the SatNav - the only option I seem to have is to turn the Radio volume down to zero.
Is this the only way?
If there is a proper way to do it, I've never sussed it and go for the volume down option !

·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies - apologies for the delay in replying - the email reply notification seems to be off.
I will look into the 2009 version...if mine does not take postcodes.
Used normal town / street name entry over the weekend for various destinations and so far so good.

·
749 Posts
If you are local to East London Ilford Romford Brentwood, send me a pm and you can have a look at my 2009 before you buy. Always good to see something b4 u buy.

Furion

G

·
Yes, I take the easy way out and turn the volume down, too

When in France my 55 reg has picked up and used traffic info to show blockages and suggest diversions.............but I'm a belt and braces kind of guy, especially abroad, and check my sat-nav route on a map. Then I'm reluctant to leave the original route, so I stick with it, and so far have never encountered any traffic.

So I'm a bit sceptical of the benefit of iTMC

Cheers, Andy

·
749 Posts
andynpz said:
Yes, I take the easy way out and turn the volume down, too

When in France my 55 reg has picked up and used traffic info to show blockages and suggest diversions.............but I'm a belt and braces kind of guy, especially abroad, and check my sat-nav route on a map. Then I'm reluctant to leave the original route, so I stick with it, and so far have never encountered any traffic.

So I'm a bit sceptical of the benefit of iTMC

Cheers, Andy
I have agree some, the iTMC has told me about blockages etc, but hasnt re-routed me, i know this because there is usually a way out if you get stuck on the M25 as long as you can get to an exit.
Today i drove to Brum and back, it brought up loads of traffic info, but didnt make any atempt to take me out "harms" way.
TBH i prefer my old TOMTOM with John Cleese giving me directions.

·
54 Posts
I have tried all options and resorted to low volume as well, cant find any reference in the manual either.

Had the TMC on several times but not yet been redirected so not sure if it works or not !!!!!

·
83 Posts
I have a 2006 MFD2 with a 2006 VW Nav disc. TMC doesn't work in the UK but works beautifully on the continent. I recently drove from the UK from to Bulgaria. Through Belgium, France, Germany, Austria, Hungary and Romania. TMC work brilliantly especially in Germany, I was re-routed several times and in one instance I could actually see the snarl up in the distance and was re-routed just before it. Whilst in Germany I had 11 TMC stations detected. The sat nav also copes very well with continental style motorway exits; sometimes directing you off an exit but prompting you to stay in the parallel carriageway and carry on to a further exit; something we don't have in the UK but is very common especially in Germany.
Also interesting to see when the maps ended especially at the border of Hungary/Romania. After entering Romania it was like being blind! I thought that there may be major roads but no absolutely nothing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts