Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, my Toe rag (57 plate 3.0l V6) shows a warning of a reverse light being out when i start the car, the warning then goes out a few seconds later. Both reverse lights are working. Any one had this before all help and advise welcomed.

·
Chairman
19,922 Posts
Just replace the bulbs.

And whilst you are at it replace the whole lot in each light unit with new bulbs bought from the VW dealer.

Buy a spare bulb of each type as well and keep them somewhere safe in the car.

All being well, Murphy's Law will kick in and those spare bulbs will never have been used when you sell the car.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Hi All, my Toe rag (57 plate 3.0l V6) shows a warning of a reverse light being out when i start the car, the warning then goes out a few seconds later. Both reverse lights are working. Any one had this before all help and advise welcomed.
On some circuits it checks the balance between both sides i.e. each bulb needs to take the same amount of current. If one bulb is deteriorating then you can get the error, or if theres a bad connection. Clean the contacts and/or replace both bulbs.

·
Registered
247 Posts
...if theres a bad connection. Clean the contacts and/or replace both bulbs.
If any moisture has got into the cluster, the contacts can get very grubby

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Cheers guys, bulbs ordered hopefully it will clear the error
It would be worth a squirt of contact cleaner, insert and remove the bulbs several times to clean the connections too.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I had this on a previous car. I changed the bulb and cleaned the contacts. That did the trick.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update, a pair of new bulbs where fitted and the fault has gone. Seems that 2 different size bulbs where fitted. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Excellent news Rich ????

Sometimes the most obvious reason is the simplest fix ????

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Update, a pair of new bulbs where fitted and the fault has gone. Seems that 2 different size bulbs where fitted. Thanks for your help.
Yep, that would do it, different characteristics in the filament.

Thanks for the update, always good to know the outcome.

J

·
Super Moderator
15,625 Posts
Thanks for posting the update - good to hear it was a simple fix.

Buying simple OEM parts of the correct spec from a dealer is often the best policy as opposed to buying opting for cheap third party parts and saving a couple of quid.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Buying simple OEM parts of the correct spec from a dealer is often the best policy as opposed to buying opting for cheap third party parts and saving a couple of quid.
Its a nice idea but sometimes, in fact most of the time it's a greater difference than a couple of quid. On my Touareg the anti-shudder valve was something like £395 from VW, from a factors it was £69. Looking at them side by side the engineering was just as good as the VW part. Brembo disks and pads were less than half the dealer price at Euro Car Parts and the reversing sensor something around £90 each from VW were £27 for a set of four on eBay. So I did opt for 'cheap' parts rather than expensive dealer parts.

·
Super Moderator
15,625 Posts
Its a nice idea but sometimes, in fact most of the time it's a greater difference than a couple of quid. On my Touareg the anti-shudder valve was something like £395 from VW, from a factors it was £69. Looking at them side by side the engineering was just as good as the VW part. Brembo disks and pads were less than half the dealer price at Euro Car Parts and the reversing sensor something around £90 each from VW were £27 for a set of four on eBay. So I did opt for 'cheap' parts rather than expensive dealer parts.
These no doubt that some parts are outrageously expensive at dealers and especially so when the car is a few years old and only a fraction of its new value. That's when people look to seriously reduce costs which can run to a high percentage of the value of the car. Breakers and second hand parts are always going to be the way to go, as is using aftermarket or discounted parts suppliers, Going to a dealer for simple parts often gets overlooked and it has to be worth the phone call to get a price on the correct fitting part as a benchmark for looking elsewhere.

The Touareg was initially manufactured by VW as a luxury 4x4 and all premium cars have some ridiculously priced spares - the reality is that the Touareg is fairly mainstream now and can be had at serious discounts from any dealer or broker and VW haven't the justification to think it's a prestige or exclusive model.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts