Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a good off-road session with the local off-road assistance group who assist the Police and SFRS here in NE Scotland. Thought it would be interesting to others as to the Treg's capabilies off the black stuff.

Excellent bunch and super experienced but what was good was taking the Treg into places you just wouldn't normally get to. Here's a rundown of what was done:
  • Descent Control/engine braking. There was a good few folk who weren't used to engine braking but the course was good. Steep grassy slope filled with holes up to your knees. Now I appreciate that is a relative description depending on how vertically challenged you all are but there were holes deep enough to drop a wheel into with no grip. ;) Start at the bottom, drive to the top. Stop and put it into reverse letting hill descent take you down. Good to feel the brakes kicking in enough to slide just that wee bitty not enough to lose control. Those without descent control were using engine braking in a similar fasion. The Vredensein rubber held well as the tracks started to get slippy through use...
  • Axle articulation. This was a great test of the EDL/diff locks/articulation depending on the vehicle. Six deep holes (18" deep maybe?) that were deep enough to bottom out the suspension on the defenders and distributed enough to cause hanging wheels on each axle at the same time. I don't have the diff lock option so was relying on the EDL to kick in and lock the wheels when needed. Ran like a dream, took roughly a sec of wheel spinning for the sensors/brakes to do their thing and she crawled over, needed a wee bit throttle right enough. Stopped in the middle and was able to diagonally rock the Treg corner to corner :cool:.
  • Steep downhill manouvering through Gorse🤦‍♂️. This was a good one as it tested not only the drivers skill to minimise the hairline scratches :ROFLMAO: but also the descent control and articulation at the same time. Hill descent rocks! There were times when would feel diagonally opposing wheels dropping into nothing and the braking effect put to the two wheels with traction. Had the odd torque effect of feeling that the Treg was being 'twisted' when that happened.
  • Hill starts. TCS did it's job here as we were practising starts on both grass and loose chuckies. Tyre choice was called out by the leaders here as those who were fine on chuckies struggled sometimes on the grass. Glad to see that my rubber held well on both. Interesting to feel the Treg limiting power to each corner as I tried both pulling away quickly and properly. Wider throttle response was good to feel here rather than road based response as it definitely gives more perceived control through the right foot.
All in all an excellent day and looking forward to the next one in August.

Reactions: Davey2021 and Cass

·
Registered
334 Posts
Well it sounds like someone had a blast!! Great write up! Always good to hear how the Treg does offroad.

I would love to do this!!! The only place near me I think I could go to put my Treg thru its paces is the Devils Pit... I wonder if any Tregs have been round there?

Thanks again for taking the time to write up your experiences!!

:)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cloud Sky Plant Slope Natural landscape

This was 'crabbing' down through the gorse. Almost like steering into a slide where the back end was being dragged right and was then was subsequently coutnersteering right.

Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape Tree

Pointing skyward! A wee rocky slope taken slowly then with some hill starts to test tyres/TCS

Reactions: Davey2021

·
Registered
74 Posts
Very interesting reading thanks for sharing. Not for the faint hearted - me included.

Not sure the wife would approve of putting our pride and joy through that as we have enough scratches on it from going down the narrow lanes the satnav sends us down as it is.

·
Registered
2007 3.6 V6 FSI SE, Coil Springs
108 Posts
Excellent, It's surprising just how capable the Tregs are. I have taken mine out with COTAG and to LRE in Dunkeld and it will hold its own with the green badge brigade. ground clearance is a bit of an issue without air suspension though.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Excellent, It's surprising just how capable the Tregs are. I have taken mine out with COTAG and to LRE in Dunkeld and it will hold its own with the green badge brigade. ground clearance is a bit of an issue without air suspension though.
It was COTAG I was out with right enough. 😉 Can you take your own vehicle out on the track in Dunkeld?

·
Registered
2007 3.6 V6 FSI SE, Coil Springs
108 Posts
I am not sure about normal operation. But we were able to do is it was a 'get to know your vehicle' training day for Tayside 4x4.

Reactions: calumski
1 - 7 of 7 Posts